IGNORED

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we ended up blowing through seasons 6, 7, and 8 in a month or so.

Hmmmm. Perhaps not quite as bad as some on here think but there was a noticeable drop in quality after the end of season 4, which was terrific. I actually thought 5 was pretty good. 6 was okay in places, 7 was okay thanks to the boss of the Ukrainian lot, and season 8 was quite a mess.

The ending was just, bizarre. Not sure if spoilers are still needed, but better safe than sorry.

What was the point in the Masuka side-story? Seemed completely unnecessary other than seeing her bristols.

The Ryan Gosling/Beckham look-a-like was lame.

The handy side door was amazing.

Deb's death seemed a bit harsh to me.

Dumping Harrison with Hannah seemed a bit unfair on him.

The lumberjack scene was just shite.

Loads of other stuff. What a shame they didn't take a different route on ending this.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I just finished season 4 last night. And while I knew what was coming (didn't know when but it was easy enough to guess) it still kinda hit me :( Interested to see what season 5 holds in store for me, at least from this point on I can continue without knowing any spoilers.

Just walk away and treat s4 as the finale. It is so much better that way.

The alternative is watching a once great show flogged to death, then reanimated as a shuffling, braindead corpse that is repeatedly killed, reanimated and killed until all that's left is a foul stench that no amount of industrial cleaner could possibly remove.

Holy crap, that's harsh :mellow: I have heard a lot of criticism about it but never that bad :D sadly I am not one to quit shows, with only very few exceptions. My OCD can't handle that.

The only show that ever managed to make me actively decide to quit was 2 Broke Girls.

The only show that ever managed to make me actively decide to quit was 2 Broke Girls.

Presumably that was after the very first ad break though?

Seriously though, I'd second third the recommendation to stop watching Dexter now. Season 5 is okay, and then after that it just gets progressively worse. I finally gave up completely after season 7 (having not enjoyed it in a while, despite the odd decent performance), and have only read about season 8 (as I wanted to know what happened without having to actually sit through it), but it sounded terrible..

I know I'll probably hate myself for it but... it just feels wrong stopping just like that :unsure:

A friend told me also not to even start The Walking Dead because it turns to such shit, still not sure whether I might be better off listening to him before I get sucked in :lol:

We watched through the whole of Dexter last year. I was expecting terrible things after what I had read about the later seasons, but it was all perfectly watchable. It just wasn't as good as the earlier seasons.

7 minutes ago, Illyria said:

A friend told me also not to even start The Walking Dead because it turns to such shit, still not sure whether I might be better off listening to him before I get sucked in :lol:

Have you started? I only lasted 2-3 seasons on it. I think it's partially because I read (and much prefer) the comics, but I just don't think it was ever actually that good, and I just couldn't really be bothered with it after a while.

3 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

Have you started? I only lasted 2-3 seasons on it. I think it's partially because I read (and much prefer) the comics, but I just don't think it was ever actually that good, and I just couldn't really be bothered with it after a while.

Haven't started it yet, but was planning to after Dexter. Since I hear this quite a lot though and considering my difficulty with abandoning a TV series, I don't know if I might be better off not watching any of it.

We obsessively watched the first four series but only got through the first three episodes of series 5 before never really feeling like we could be bothered watching it any more. Series 3 was difficult after how good series 2 was, but series 4 was so utterly captivating that anything less just couldn't do it justice any more. A victim of its own brilliance.

• 5 weeks later...

Four episodes into season six, some thoughts:

Spoiler

I can fully understand if people were put off this season by the "big bad". I love the actors in other things but here their characters are just bland and boring, they don't interest me at all. Of course there are other points of criticism but this one's the standout. 

It's not all bad though! I'm enjoying the Mos Def character and his scenes with Dexter.

Also I just love Deb and her potty mouth and I am more than willing to spend more time with these characters. Fuck LaGuerta. I also love hating her.

• 4 weeks later...

Some shows are so bad they're good, and are great fun to "hate watch" (e.g. FlashForward, The Event, Terrible Nova, Revolution).

Dexter, though, is one of those ones that *used* to be great, only to then become so bad that it was simply bad. (See also, to different degrees, Heroes, Prison Break, Castle...)

For me it often depends on how much I like the characters. Castle for example I keep watching, even though it's become pretty stupid, cause I love the cast, most of it anyways.

Dexter will be the same for me, I'll go through with it til the end no matter how bad it gets, I'll cackle at the more idiotic storylines because that's what it deserves, but even if it's gonna hurt I still wanna know where my characters will end up. Ugh I know I'm gonna regret it hahaha but I CAN'T. I simply can't.