IGNORED

Dexter - Series 8 now done (US). It was the last series apparently.

Sideshow

I think I'd watch the first 4 series, and then watch a YouTube wrapup of the latter ones.

That said, I think Michael C Hall's performance is one of the all-time TV classics, and sometimes I just like watching him do it regardless of the shite he's given. It's the role he was born for.

28 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I thought Season 3 was pretty shite last time I watched it. So many boring, pointless episodes, stupidity and endless talk of Chicky Fuckin Hayes. 

I thought season 3 was weak at the time even though some of the characters were good, 4 was definitely a return to form but as soon as Tom Hank's normal son arrives for 5 the quality goes south and never picks up. I don't think I ever finished the final series it was so bad.

New trailer looks alright to me. The character is still interesting and Michael C Hall is just outstanding in almost everything he does. The premise for it is also sound, the mask slowly slipping off of Dexter's well-engineered fake life was the highlight of the whole run. Retreading this this could be a winner if handled well. The elements are there, if predictable. New partner is the cop that will form the cat and mouse, son returning that will begin the look into his past, a bunch of voices in his head that may or may not include Deb that drives him to kill again (starting with a child killer\kidnapper, which I seem to remember is how S1 started).

Probably be shit, but it might not be. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Imagine if they did this with Breaking Bad. Starts with Walter White waking up in an offshore snowy mountain village, he builds a life there and then is like 'Oh dear life is a bit boring. I'm gonna secretly make meth again lol.'  

I thought the first two thirds were absolute garbage and certain elements were introduced far too quickly to be anything other than pantomime evil bastards. You could always see where it was going as @Sane says but I quite enjoyed it by the end! Michael C Hall's clearly having a really good time putting on the old apron again and they've intrigued me enough to carry on with it. 

5 hours ago, Sane said:

I'm sad they hanged the intro though

This wasn't exactly high on my list to watch anyway but the fact that they changed the one and only thing that was consistently good in the original series probably tells me all I need to know really.

• 3 weeks later...

This has grown pretty drab pretty quickly. It's become so slow compared to the format's prime, and I really miss the old intro.

No weekly vengeance. Too many ghosts. Some kind of incipient genetic murderism. 

Just put him head to head with Clancy fucking Brown already.

Ok, so this is rubbish now. Largely thanks to the clunkiest bit of deus ex machina exposition from an old friend.

And, in true Dexter tradition, I will watch it til the bitter, unsatisfying end.

Can't see this getting a second/tenth series, but stranger things have happened. And there are plenty of people who would make intriguing, hammy opposite numbers. Walton Goggins, John Goodman, Ian McShane, Octavia Spencer, Vincent Donofrio, Patrick Fischler, Jonathan Tucker.

46 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Can't see this getting a second/tenth series, but stranger things have happened. 

I'm sure it will eventually drop, but it is still 8.9 on IMDb after 20k votes. Which is pretty high for a TV series. So it might get renewed despite the fairly lacking critical reception.