IGNORED

The real reason to buy a 360

lewismistreated

by the sounds of it, additional bonus comedy value will be the amount of weight that I gain from said "free" burgers and my doctor informing me of a choresterol increase of "king-sized" proportions. :D

on the plus side:

I'll be back in the UK in january, and I can save everyone residing near london the shipping costs by bringing the games with me, if they want to meet up while I'm there on holiday. (and hopefully, I'm meet more people from rllmuk than last year, where "santarat" brought 30+ pressies and ended up bringing almost all of them back home due to lack of forumite turn out. :(

Bless.

I was up in Sheffield when you were here last year. If I'm not this year I'll be there...when you coming?

appearing for one week only, in dartford (just SE of london proper) from saturday, january 13th through the following saturday, january 20th

accomodations and prossies provided by pootle uk. all guests of pootle uk stay in the fabulous boot of his 2006 ford focus.

appearing for one week only, in dartford (just SE of london proper) from saturday, january 13th through the following saturday, january 20th

accomodations and prossies provided by pootle uk. all guests of pootle uk stay in the fabulous boot of his 2006 ford focus.

You're just bitter Jim having lost a fight with the boot of my last Focus :(

Least you have a nice scar to remember the incident by on your forehead! :D

bk_1.jpg

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but I thought I read somewhere that these are actually Xbox games (that also happen to run on the 360). Notice the top of the box just says Xbox, not Xbox 360. Probably the words to the right of that say more about this.

bk_1.jpg

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but I thought I read somewhere that these are actually Xbox games (that also happen to run on the 360). Notice the top of the box just says Xbox, not Xbox 360. Probably the words to the right of that say more about this.

.::: They do carry Achievements though. So it's a bit of both I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20563

Burger King titles could come to Europe, says Blitz

Illustration

Matt Martin 17:08 24/10/2006

Developer confirms talks are currently underway to launch in other regions

Blitz Games, the developer behind three Xbox 360 games to be sold in Burger King restaurants across the US, has revealed there's a strong chance the games will appear in Europe soon.

Philip Oliver, CEO of Blitz has told GamesIndustry.biz that talks are currently underway to bring the titles to regions outside of the US.

"If we're lucky we'll see them in this country as well," said Oliver. "It's not confirmed yet, it's in discussion. For all territories, Burger King marketing works independently in all regions, so it's being evaluated."

The three different titles will be available for Xbox and Xbox 360 in the US this November and retail for US $3.99.

Oliver brushed aside cynicism directed at the developer for creating games based on such a license, seeing it as a natural evolution for advertising in games while providing good value for money for the consumer.

"We're always trying to be on the cutting edge whenever we talk about any game initiative. About a year ago we were talking about advertising in games and there's a very big market there. Basically this gives us an absolutely massive profile in that market. Advertising is an excepted part of media. Magazines, websites, TV, films – they have product placement all over the place," he commented.

"Are the games good fun? Yes. And they are extremely good value for money. They're not going to be Halo or Gotham-beaters, let's be honest. These games are much better than anybody will expect. They're half way between Live Arcade titles and fully boxed games. In fact, if they were retail boxed products they should retail at around US$ 20," said Oliver.

The full interview with Philip Oliver can be read here.

Bizarrely every single McNorwich branch of burger king (of which there were about 81) closed down a couple of weeks ago - so even if these things do come out over here im not sure that im gonna be able to get my mitts on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the little bike one even looked good for $3.99.

trailer

I can see me getting all in a fiddle, driving round different branches of BK on the 19th looking for one that's both doing the promotion and has any in stock.

They are only in the US for now, aren't they? Someone posted something about them looking into trying to sort out a release in other regions.

Seriously, these look more fun and witty than any other games on the horizon I can think of (outside Nippon, natch). I've got severe reservations about how they turn out to play - expecting lots of dealbreaking bugs or playability issues, frankly, based on the amount they cost - but the Oliver twins should be applauded based on that racing ad alone. It looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are three or four threads on this, but I think this is the "real" one?

I went down to Burger King last night, all worried from internet chatter that they'd be sold out, since the offer started on Sunday. When I asked the lady behind the counter if they "still had the Xbox games" she laughed, and made a very wide-eyed "ye-es" which said all at once, we've got thousands of them and business has not been brisk.

I ordered Sneak King with my Tendercrisp Chicken Sandwich meal, obv, and Mrs Ayton, whom I was making eat BK too in case it was one game per meal, ordered Pocketbike Racer with hers as per my explicit and humorless instruction.

Everything came in Xbox 360 type packaging!

bkgames.jpg

After eating our guilty fatty treats in front of Heroes, I popped Sneak King into the 360 and was most pleased to see "Achievements" on the menu. The world would forever observe the lengths of my nerdery.

And I played for about two and a half hours! It is not half bad. I think the key is that everything feels like a bonus on a $4 game. The King is very well motion captured, the frame rate is silky smooth, it's in HD widescreen, it doesn't seem buggy or glitchy. The gameplay is of course very simple, but they have made the most of the novelty. You try to sneak up on people who are hungry and feed them strongly branded, intricately modeled fast foods which you will recognize and wish to eat next time you're at BK. If you don't reach them in time, they faint from hunger. If they see you, they get scared or angry, and no longer wish to be fed. You get bonus points for chaining - surprising several hungry people in a row with burgers, without being seen by anyone else - and more for surprising them from a hiding place. Upon serving a meal you get a sort of Gears active reload/golf game meter, and where you stop the gauge decides what sort of flourish the King will employ in its delivery. He even does a sort of royal bow, with rolling wrist, just to press a button that lowers a bridge. If you leave him idle he pulls out a mirror and admires himself. In first person view you see through the holes in his mask and hear his loud breathing, which lends things a nicely sinister feel.

I haven't tried Pocketbike Racers yet, but I've still got two environments to unlock in Sneak King and I look forward to it tonight. Really loving this idea of little subsidized adver-games. BK says there are two individual versions of the games on each disc, one for each Xbox, which is what swung it for me to take the time to grab them. I didn't want to be playing a regular Xbox game through emulation.

You try to sneak up on people who are hungry and feed them strongly branded, intricately modeled fast foods which you will recognize and wish to eat next time you're at BK.

No idea why but I never thought about the fact that this is a game that is effectivly advertising junk food and is intentionaly aimed at kids. Isn't this insanely sinister? more so then putting adverts inbetween chidrens TV shows. Yet I've heard of no complaints at all so far?