IGNORED

The next Xbox 360 firmware update (fall '06)

Peter

Potentially good news for those people with out MCE / Vista...

I should point out that non-MCE computers will not be able to take advantage of transcoding solutions (including T360) until developers can figure out how to ‘plug-in’ to Windows Media Player 11 and/or Windows Media Connect. Though if Microsoft is using a standards based UPNP implementation (which I believe it has with respect to music and photos), then I would expect someone to knock up a transcoding solution not too far down the line

That was from the chap that made Transcode360 he should know what he's on about.

It's easilly fixed. Flashing firmware back to original or the very latest cures the problem. So the "pirate fucks" can carry on laughing.

Modding is never worth it when it's that much hassle and the only benefit is the ability to download loads of games you'll never play. Just buy some fucking games you actually want, dickheads.

I'm a tad sad at the mo, due to the latest update (which is great!..) I've learned that my set (those fancy samsung ones that look lovely in glossy black, 2006 model) doesn't support 1080p.

Of course its not a big deal for this gen, but when developers are perhaps forced to do their games in 1080p next gen...

Sucks for the longetivity of this set, which is otherwise the bomb.

Modding my Xbox was the best thing I ever did for it. It's pretty vital to do it on the PS2 too, if you like actually wanna play some of the great games our American friends get to enjoy..

I do actually buy the games I play, though.

Booooooooo!

Booooooooo indeed. I had my portable device loaded up with a video file representing all of the major codecs and .wmv was the only one that showed up. Not even .mpg which is rather odd.

It's handled in the same way as accessing music from your portable device, which is cool. Just a bit pointless when it only plays .wmv.

With that nifty feature redundant it seems this update is a bit shit really with nothing added of any importance. A disapointing morning overall.

I'm a tad sad at the mo, due to the latest update (which is great!..) I've learned that my set (those fancy samsung ones that look lovely in glossy black, 2006 model) doesn't support 1080p.

Of course its not a big deal for this gen, but when developers are perhaps forced to do their games in 1080p next gen...

Sucks for the longetivity of this set, which is otherwise the bomb.

99% of 'HD Ready' TVs don't do 1080p, so you're hardly alone.

Also, 1080p takes a lot of processing power. It's not going to be the norm for a long, long time.

99% of 'HD Ready' TVs don't do 1080p, so you're hardly alone.

Also, 1080p takes a lot of processing power. It's not going to be the norm for a long, long time.

Paints a nice image of lots of angry Samsung TV owners marching back to Currys for a word with the staff though.

Because I suspect most weren't told the full story behind the HD Ready tag. This is probably the first indication they've had that the telly they bought ain't as future proof as they thought.

Yep, my uncle bought a Samsung a few months back. After an article in a sunday paper, he wanted to know why his TV wasn't "proper high definition" as Sony were saying 1080p was true HD. He wasn't happy.

I tried explaining that it wasn't really that important, but all he could see that was he was sold a TV that will now be perceived as outdated after a few months.

There are 3-5 ps3 launch games with 1080p native. Ridge racer 7 is one. Maybe not "the norm", but the titles are here and now all the same. Microsoft recently said that 1080p supprt isn't that difficult to include in games at decent performance, which confused me slightly

Because I suspect most weren't told the full story behind the HD Ready tag. This is probably the first indication they've had that the telly they bought ain't as future proof as they thought.

Well, the HD Ready tag has always been bollocks anyway. Even before 1080p sets arrived

Well, the HD Ready tag has always been bollocks anyway. Even before 1080p sets arrived

True, but it's what the average punter who maybe changes telly every 5-10 years thought they were securing. What I hope is that there IS a lot of negative publicity about this & it becomes a reason for both HD DVD and BlueRay being massive flops.

True, but it's what the average punter who maybe changes telly every 5-10 years thought they were securing. What I hope is that there IS a lot of negative publicity about this & it becomes a reason for both HD DVD and BlueRay being massive flops.

You'll incure the wrath of the people with jumbo (50") tellies if you say that near hardcore AV geeks

You'll incure the wrath of the people with jumbo (50") tellies if you say that near hardcore AV geeks

I've got an HD projector. I just don't want to replace all my DVDs. I can't help wondering what the people who bought an 'HD' tv are going to think when the HD DVD/BlueRay publicity kicks in and they realise they can't take full advantage. Buy ANOTHER TV, or think "fuckit"?

1080p is hardly essential for either HD movie format though. Those tv's will support 1080i (perhaps not natively, but most wont notice) and 720p, so I don't see a backlash personally.

Probably not, just idle speculation to amuse myself. But there's no precedent really, is there? Average person who owns a TV hasn't before found themselves in a position where there TV won't take a signal so explicitly. And it's going to be pushed hard by those wanting to sell discs & players. Very mixed message to say 'you must have this to take advantage' but, er, your TVs a bit shit.