Friday Night Lights

ryodi

I teared up at the end of 'The Son' but the ending to this weeks episode was sublime.

The acting in this show really is amazing, that combined with the writing gives subtlety, nuance and emotional resonance to storylines like the recent Saracen one that could so easily be cheesy and melodramatic.

• 1 month later...
Man, those last few episodes have been dreadful. The worst since the dark days of the start of season 2. When did one of my favourite shows become this dull 'issue of the week' melodrama?

Really? It's all working on me. I was a skeptic about all this East Dillon stuff, and I know it's all a big manipulative sentimental soap opera, but the actors and characters are so gosh-darned lovable and there's such a sense of place about it all that I can't get enough of it.

I had a dream I was Tim Riggins last night. Sadly no women were involved, but instead Tim (played by me) had got involved with an illl-advised attempt to cheat with a remote controlled ball. Stressful situations ensued.

Really? It's all working on me. I was a skeptic about all this East Dillon stuff, and I know it's all a big manipulative sentimental soap opera, but the actors and characters are so gosh-darned lovable and there's such a sense of place about it all that I can't get enough of it.

Yeah. The episode where

Matt leaves is one of the best things the show has ever done but for me it’s kind of lost it’s way since then. With the exception of Vince I’m not really feeling any of the new characters and some of the humour seems to have gone. It’s all a bit heavy these days with abortions and gun-toting drug dealers – I think it needs some Landry or Buddy related hi-jinks to mellow things out. I probably just miss the Panthers.

I'm nearing the end of S1. Absolutely hooked. It's like the West Wing: there's a gimmick (football-crazy Dillon), and they then use that to write utterly brilliant characters. Riggins, Landry, the whole Taylor family, Tyra, Smash... I love this.

And there's so much of it waiting for me! I fucking love that feeling.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Damn, man, is nobody else on this? Season 5 is in fine form so far. I'm just sad that this is confirmed as the final season. Honestly, I could watch this show forever. It'll be one for the re-watch once it's all over, for damn sure.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

• 2 months later...

Man, I can't believe rllmuk never got into this properly. I might have to start a campaign. Anyway, heads up: next week is the final ever episode. And this week's was a corker.

When Devil Town played I was literally on the verge of tears. What a callback.

That final game was beautifully shot. I'm gonna miss it a lot. The only thing I would of changes would of been:

Landry/Tara instead of Tim/Tara - it seemed like they stuck them together because they couldn't get Minka Kelly back

I thought the pairing worked. Lyla isn't someone who can understand him or deal with his going to prison as well. And Tim/tyra are family now, they're never going to be that far apart. Would have liked to see Lyla and Street with Tim again with another texas forev moment though, seems a bit stange that his best friends didn't visit when he went to prison. I don't think Street even mentions it when he was on. no idea why they can get Minka Kelly back. Surely Taylor Kitsch is the one with the busiest movie shooting schedule nowadays.

Maybe i admire 'the wire' a bit more for its ambitions, but it's hard to think of a more loveable show.

I thought the pairing worked. Lyla isn't someone who can understand him or deal with his going to prison as well. And Tim/tyra are family now, they're never going to be that far apart. Would have liked to see Lyla and Street with Tim again with another texas forev moment though, seems a bit stange that his best friends didn't visit when he went to prison. I don't think Street even mentions it when he was on. no idea why they can get Minka Kelly back. Surely Taylor Kitsch is the one with the busiest movie shooting schedule nowadays.

Maybe i admire 'the wire' a bit more for its ambitions, but it's hard to think of a more loveable show.

Maybe, but they had:

Landry back anyway and didn't really make use of him