rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 too "pricey"

You couldn't make it up! They're STILL doing it! Someone gag these idiots, please. Remove their tongues or something, anything to stop them opening their mouths. I would ask someone to hand the PR guys a spade, if it wasn't painfully obvious that they're already well below the crust and neck-deep in magma without the need for any more help...

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20299

Sony exec questions high price of Wii, 360 hardware

Matt Martin 10:50 11/10/2006

Consoles too expensive for intended audiences, says Oz boss

Sony Australia's Michael Ephraim has questioned the price point of rival next-gen hardware, stating the Wii is "a lot to fork out" for the intended family audience, while branding the Xbox 360 as "pricey".

Speaking to Australia's The Age newspaper, Ephraim also said he believes that the PAL delay of the PS3 will not impact sales in the long term.

"My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point," said Ephraim.

"Even though it's affordable, at AUD $400 (EUR 237) plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about AUD $500 (EUR 296) to take home a Wii and enjoy it."

"For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because AUD $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry," he said.

And while admitting Microsoft had done "fairly well" at launch, the Australia boss believes the Xbox 360 is focused on too narrow an audience and still priced too high.

"I think their product offering is still not broad enough. The content is narrow and appeals only to a very core group," he said.

He added: "It's still pricey, and I'm sure Microsoft will do everything they can, but if you just look at the offerings from each format and the marketplace that we are now playing in, especially PlayStation 2, it has to be affordable because we are talking about mass-market and non traditional gamers."

Discussing the PlayStation 3, which will retail at AUD $830 (EUR 492) and AUD $999 (EUR 592) for the two sku's, Ephraim stated that the post-Christmas delay of PAL units was an initial disappointment, but retail had backed the move and was now looking forward to a clear sales window during the March launch.

"We would have loved to have launched for Christmas. But based on our discussions with retailers, they are very keen and excited about a March launch because it gives us a period to communicate with our customers that is not cluttered," he said.

"So in the long run, if you take a five-year or three or two-year view, it won't have any impact at all," added Ephraim.

Oh, and he even did the "everyone's loving the March launch" line.

What planet are these people living on? :unsure:

oh right so they consulted with retailers before deciding march.

im excited by that!

Oh, and he even did the "everyone's loving the March launch" line.

Retailers probably will like it though. The number of units available for Christmas would have been negligible and this way they get a proper launch allocation and a sizable sales boost during a traditionally slow(er) sales period.

It almost seems like a reasonable statement, from a PS2 perspective, but then you look at their PS3 pricing and it seems to contradict their view on this completely. Madness.

Maybe they're not denying the hefty price tag of the PS3 at all by saying this, but they're getting at the competition's lack of choice in the matter (Xbox 1 support being cut off; Cube games being moved over to Wii, etc.). I dunno, they don't seem to make a lot of sense these days. :unsure:

I'm starting to HATE Sony more and more everyday...

You're not alone my friend. Their problem seems to be a ferocious self belief and arrogance that they are Sony so you WILL need them.

I spoke to our Sony rep recently (not games related) and he has changed so much since working for them. I've known him for about fifteen years and he was a really nice guy when he worked for a smaller, more "normal" company, but after a few years with them, he's become a Sony robot repeating how big and great their products are, and how we need them. Shame really..........rant over.

If you buy a PS3, you're getting quite a bit of new tech for your money, aren't you? Cell, Blu Ray, etc. So from that point of view it's cheap. Isnt it? It's what Kutaragi meant when he said PS3 is too cheap, I think.

[/devil's advocate]

However, whether all that new tech should have gone into the PS3 is another matter, and is NOT what I mean, so don't flame my ass.

For argument's sake let's say he has a point.

The Wii is a bit pricey for a family console if you include the total cost of games, controllers etc.

The 360's is focused on a narrow audience.

But when your console is selling for the price that it is he just looks as ridiculous as a thirty stone man calling a twenty stone man fatty.

It's just some corporate spin. Nothing to get worked up about.

Some guy in some business said something underhand about the competition which does, or more likely doesn't, stack up depending on your point of view.

Come launch day I reckon they'll turn around and say they've been having a laugh with everyone and there is no PS3.

It's just some corporate spin. Nothing to get worked up about.

Some guy in some business said something underhand about the competition which does, or more likely doesn't, stack up depending on your point of view.

Plant? :P:unsure:

From his perspective I suppose he has a point, although the most interesting part (why the PS3 is NOT overpriced compared to Wii or 360) is very conveniently not discussed.

The fact that Sony feels the need to put down the competition all the time is a bit telling though. I thought other machines were 'not relevant'.

I spoke to our Sony rep recently (not games related) and he has changed so much since working for them. I've known him for about fifteen years and he was a really nice guy when he worked for a smaller, more "normal" company, but after a few years with them, he's become a Sony robot repeating how big and great their products are, and how we need them. Shame really..........rant over.

Lies and spin pay his rent. So I dont blame him.

Lies and spin pay his rent. So I dont blame him.

I just think it's a shame that he's changed so much. I'm sure his new found arrogance helps with the mortgage :unsure:

Hate to admit it, but I think this guy has a point, even if purely because Sony are already a load of fuck-ups.

The Wii is too expensive for a purely casual gamey thing for people of all ages and experiences. It's fine for us, sure, but we were bound to get it.

The 360 is too expensive for a standard-bearing 'one size fits all' hi-def console for pro-gamers, casuals, and everything in between.

The PS3, due to Sony really not having any clue about how electronics works (seemingly) has had ideas and features chopped away from it until all that's left is a Cell and a 7800GTX with a Blu-ray drive. Accordingly they're marketing it as a hardcore, hi-tech home multimedia device that can so everything out of the box. If you want one of those, then why wouldn't you have money to burn? You do already have a 1080p projector and a 7.1 surround sound system, after all.

I'm probably a bit mixed up about some of the above but as it stands I think what he's said is pretty fair, right up until he says that the retailers are loving the March date - like that means anything? Newsflash - it means they have less work to do at christmas!

come on, in reality all 3 of them are games consoles first and foremost, or at least in the general public's mind they are. nintendo = games, xbox brand = games, playstation brand = games.

saying your competitors are over-priced when your own console costs more than both of them together is just crazy talk.

a clear retail window.

how clear?

well no one else will be looking to sell consoles during that period.

everyone who wants a wii or xbox 360 will already have one by that point, so the ps3 will have the market to itself.

warped logic.

Nintendo got arrogant and complacent and look what happened to them.

This is worse because Nintendo never resorted to complete lies and constant slagging of the competition when they were top dog.

It's this attitude and nothing else that makes a lot of people want Sony to fail.

Nintendo got arrogant and complacent and look what happened to them.

This is worse because Nintendo never resorted to complete lies and constant slagging of the competition when they were top dog.

It's this attitude and nothing else that makes a lot of people want Sony to fail.

Nintendo didn't fail because they were arrogant and had shitty pressreleases though, but because they didn't deliver the goods (games people actually wanted and proper 3rd party support). As long as the PS3 will be home to great games the public wants, it won't fail.

As long as the PS3 will be home to great games the public wants, it won't fail.

99% of people will be plugging the machine in with composite cables so the whole thing will be a waste of everybody's time, money and effort. Basically.

If Sony are so cocky and confident that you NEED Sony, they should make the console hi-def ONLY. *That* would drive demand of hi-def TVs.

Imagine the ad:

(Edith Bowmans voice)

"Welcome to Currys world made of washing machines"

-- Welcome to -- electric avenue (and more gash music)

"Want to play the new Playstation? You need a new TV! And at Currys we have just the one for you"

What a load of shitting bollocks.