rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 too "pricey"

For argument's sake let's say he has a point.

The Wii is a bit pricey for a family console if you include the total cost of games, controllers etc.

The 360's is focused on a narrow audience.

But when your console is selling for the price that it is he just looks as ridiculous as a thirty stone man calling a twenty stone man fatty.

not really, its because of the other twos deficiences along with the new tech they'reaffording they can get away with offering it at this price. so far i've seen testosterone filled game after another on it, and the previews for future games aren't moving away from that. with the ps3 portfolio already i see variety, away from the guns is nice - and i don't mean viva pinata.

People are misquoting what is said in TFA. What he's getting at is that the wii60 are overpriced for the people they're aimed at (the non-gaming casual and the 'average gamer' respectively).

Whereas the PS3 is priced quite well for the kind of people they claim to be targeting - hardcore A/V enthusiasts.

People are misquoting what is said in TFA. What he's getting at is that the wii60 are overpriced for the people they're aimed at (the non-gaming casual and the 'average gamer' respectively).

Whereas the PS3 is priced quite well for the kind of people they claim to be targeting - hardcore A/V enthusiasts.

that's bollocks though. there's no way they're targetting hardcore a/v enthusiasts.

what about the gneral public, isn't that too big an audience to drop?

The messages coming out of Sony are just confusing. It seems that the Sony execs are just saying anything that comes to mind. Why on earth would they be targetting hardcoe A/V enthusiasts? That's hardly a big audience that will get them market share and get them the 3rd party support necessary to make a console successful.

Fact is they have an expensive piece of hardware. Arguments aside as to whether the tech that's crammed in is necessary/worth it or not, it's expensive. They should be upselling this to make it as desirable as possible, and they're just not making a good job of that.

Speaking to Australia's The Age newspaper, Ephraim also said he believes that the PAL delay of the PS3 will not impact sales in the long term.

Well I think he's right.

Even though it's affordable, at AUD $400 (EUR 237) plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about AUD $500 (EUR 296) to take home a Wii and enjoy it.

Where does he get $100 from? The machine comes with a game already, and an extra controller doesn't come up to $100. Even with a game, it's complete bollocks, but anyway...

For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because AUD $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry," he said.

He's right with the last bit, and in the UK the Wii's price point is a little too high in order to attract those who were on the fence about it. He's wrong about the $400 being too much for family entertainment though. My parents wouldn't go and buy it, but they would join in. I think if a kid asked for this for Christmas and the parents knew a little about the console then they would go for it. Keep in mind that us lot are having kids now and the heads of the families are people our age.

And while admitting Microsoft had done "fairly well" at launch, the Australia boss believes the Xbox 360 is focused on too narrow an audience and still priced too high.

He's right. It appeals to people who own HD TVs and like shooting/racing games.

"I think their product offering is still not broad enough. The content is narrow and appeals only to a very core group," he said.

Again, he's right.

Discussing the PlayStation 3, which will retail at AUD $830 (EUR 492) and AUD $999 (EUR 592) for the two sku's, Ephraim stated that the post-Christmas delay of PAL units was an initial disappointment, but retail had backed the move and was now looking forward to a clear sales window during the March launch.

Bollocks. I doubt very much that retailers backed a move which would deny them Christmas sales.

"So in the long run, if you take a five-year or three or two-year view, it won't have any impact at all," added Ephraim.

Unless the slow pick up rate starts to affect game development, and Blu Ray falls on its arse. Then you're stuck with a machine which already has a very narrow market and now has few games made for it whilst supporting a dead format. It's not just plane sailing for them, at least in my mind.

that's bollocks though. there's no way they're targetting hardcore a/v enthusiasts.

what about the gneral public, isn't that too big an audience to drop?

They're not dropping the general public; that's what the PS2 is for.

Im sure all 3rd party developers are overjoyed at Sony finally letting everyone in on their masterplan. :)

So what the hell is up with the psp high price around the world compaired to the ds. It is targeting a hardcore group and so its overpriced, the ds is mainstream and is priced accordingly. Why dont these fookers just shut the fook up they are makeing themselfs look stupid. Practise what you preace or shut the fuck up.

So what the hell is up with the psp high price around the world compaired to the ds. It is targeting a hardcore group and so its overpriced, the ds is mainstream and is priced accordingly.

Surely, if the PSP is targetting a hardcore group, it's higher price is justified. I don't see your reasoning for suggesting otherwise under such a condition.

Im sure all 3rd party developers are overjoyed at Sony finally letting everyone in on their masterplan. :)

this, the whole not supporting it until it sells vs. not selling til there are games dichotomy.

Surely, if the PSP is targetting a hardcore group, it's higher price is justified. I don't see your reasoning for suggesting otherwise under such a condition.

Well isnt that his dig at the 360 that its aiming at a small market so its overpriced???.

I'd say the PSP price has more to do with it being an incredibly expensive bit of hardware to manufacture. I mean you've got a bespoke optical drive, an in-house 333MHz CPU, some internally-developed graphics hardware, and a very large LCD panel. Between components and R&D, it'll be pricey. Even at £150 Sony are probably making a pretty serious loss on the system.

Compare to the DS which uses off-the-shelf ARM processors and where the most expensive parts are probably the new screens.

Aaanyway, I don't think anyone has to point out the amusing irony in his comments.

I'd say the PSP price has more to do with it being an incredibly expensive bit of hardware to manufacture. I mean you've got a bespoke optical drive, an in-house 333MHz CPU, some internally-developed graphics hardware, and a very large LCD panel. Between components and R&D, it'll be pricey. Even at £150 Sony are probably making a pretty serious loss on the system.

Compare to the DS which uses off-the-shelf ARM processors and where the most expensive parts are probably the new screens.

Aaanyway, I don't think anyone has to point out the amusing irony in his comments.

I think people mean expensive in terms of its purpose rather than the actual physical value of it. You can have a gold toothpick hand carved by rare elves at £100 a pop but it's still expensive as a toothpick.

Natch, I'm just pointing out that the economics of making the PSP prevent Sony pricing the machine at that percieved value.

In other playstation news, the lad I work opposite is massively excited about the PS3. He picked up HMV's games catalogue yesterday - TWO PAGES OF STUFF ON PS3! - and started quoting its factoids about the PS3 being "Twelve times more powerful than anything in a laptop" and having a "cell processor"... He's quite happy to wait until March, thanks.

Twat.

I got a bit wound up tbh because it does just seem like the Playstation brand is pretty much coded in the DNA of 90% of all males between the age of 14-35. But what's the alternative? Microsoft? They're all faceless corporations, and unless we start making our own consoles out of hemp we're always gonna be giving our money to a howible company...

I'll try and get hold of one of the catalogues, cos some of the spin it puts is interesting. One question though - why would HMV advertise something no-one can buy for four months in their Christmas catalogue? Can anyone answer me that?

In other playstation news, the lad I work opposite is massively excited about the PS3. He picked up HMV's games catalogue yesterday - TWO PAGES OF STUFF ON PS3! - and started quoting its factoids about the PS3 being "Twelve times more powerful than anything in a laptop" and having a "cell processor"... He's quite happy to wait until March, thanks.

Twat.

I got a bit wound up tbh because it does just seem like the Playstation brand is pretty much coded in the DNA of 90% of all males between the age of 14-35. But what's the alternative? Microsoft? They're all faceless corporations, and unless we start making our own consoles out of hemp we're always gonna be giving our money to a howible company...

I'll try and get hold of one of the catalogues, cos some of the spin it puts is interesting. One question though - why would HMV advertise something no-one can buy for four months in their Christmas catalogue? Can anyone answer me that?

.::: Such catalogues are often made during the summer period. No further explanation is needed methinks.

I simply cannot figure out what the hell the people at Sony are thinking. They point out that the Nintendo Wii will be hard to fork out. Really. The PS3 console will cost 500 £ in Denmark. On www.play.com each new Nintendo Wii game will cost 33£. In Denmark I've been looking at initial prices for the PS3 games. EACH PS3 GAME COST A WHOPPING 58£!!! Yes, correct, nearly 60£ a game. And here I am talking about one of the cheapest online stores available to the Danish gamers. I really don't understand how Sony think they will be able to win this generation of gaming with this pricing strategy. :)

I simply cannot figure out what the hell the people at Sony are thinking. They point out that the Nintendo Wii will be hard to fork out. Really. The PS3 console will cost 500 £ in Denmark. On www.play.com each new Nintendo Wii game will cost 33£. In Denmark I've been looking at initial prices for the PS3 games. EACH PS3 GAME COST A WHOPPING 58£!!! Yes, correct, nearly 60£ a game. And here I am talking about one of the cheapest online stores available to the Danish gamers. I really don't understand how Sony think they will be able to win this generation of gaming with this pricing strategy. :)

I don't think there are any official prices yet, so shops do as they always do and make up a price. The final price will (hopefully) be cheaper.

NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS

Looks like I'll have to make a decision between the mortgage payments and a PS3!!!

Bollocks. I doubt very much that retailers backed a move which would deny them Christmas sales.

I dont agree, retailers have the Wii launching before christmas which will get them their sales, not only that Christmas period is the busiest time of the year, even if no new consoles were launched consoles would still be flying off the shelves. March is usually a very slow period for games sales so having the PS3 launching then, a machine most people will probably want will boost sales for that period, and people who wont be able to get a PS3 due to shortages (which there will be) are likely going to either buy another console or pay a deposit to be next in line when the next batch of PS3's come in. Im sure retailers are very pleased with the delay.

Also about the long-term effects of the delay, Im sure it wont do much damage to Sony in the long-term as it is only one region that has seen the delay and it is only by 3-4 months, PAL gamers are used to this as it has happened with nearly every other console launch in the past, Japan and the US get it first then we get it a few months later, this is sadly nothing new and people will just wait if they really want a PS3. And these delays have never seen a machine fail, look at the success of the DS, that was released 3-4 months here after everywhere else and that never harmed the sales of the machine.

March is usually a very slow period for games sales so having the PS3 launching then, a machine most people will probably want will boost sales for that period...

A machine that people will still want after they've acquired a different one during the Xmas period? Nah, that's a load of honk. This is probably some early smokescreen to soften the blow of half the units being ready for March.

I don't think there are any official prices yet, so shops do as they always do and make up a price. The final price will (hopefully) be cheaper.

Weren't Xbox 360 games carrying a £60 RRP at launch? £58 might not be far off.

Weren't Xbox 360 games carrying a £60 RRP at launch? £58 might not be far off.

I dont know about denmark but here it has always been £49.99 for third party and £40 for first.

I've got it - they appeal to the hardcore AV market, which is a smaller market than the mainstream. They don't sell as many hence they don't lose as much money :o