rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Frankie Lee

How much was the PS1?

I was talking to a friend of mine who hasn't played games since the PS1. We were discussing the cost of the PS3 and he seemed bemused that I considered it so expensive. He reckons that both the PS1 and the PS2 would have been similarly priced at launch (when taking inflation into account). I can't really remember how much these cost at the time so is he right?

As far as I recall it was £199 on launch. That was back when £199 was a lot of money mind. PS3 is the most expensive launch console that I can think of, I know some people will probably bring up the cost of NeoGeo or something but I'm not counting them. They were aiming at a niche whereas PS3 is supposed to be more mainstream.

Yeah it would be around the same. But why would you compare it to the PS1 when considering if it's expensive or not? You wouldn't make comparisons to an IBM 5150 to say if a new computer is expensive.

The only console that I would describe as reasonably priced, at launch, was the GameCube.

The Dreamcast wasn't far behind at £199.99

I paid £287 for mine a couple of weeks after launch from Toys R Us, and I still have the receipt.

When I say I paid, I mean my Dad did.

£299 for PS1 and PS2. With inflation, that's probably about £330 and £310. Base pack PS3 is £349 (assuming we get it at launch), or about the same amount as a PS1 was, give or take a gamepad. The Magpie Pack is a bit steep, mind.

Different circumstances, doesn't take into account changing value of electronic goods, etc etc etc...

Snes £150

Was that the original Mario World pack with 2 pads?

I seem to remember a later pack with SFII being £180 - is that right?

He reckons that both the PS1 and the PS2 would have been similarly priced at launch (when taking inflation into account).

I guess you're talking about headline inflation, because electronics have been a deflator for years as far as I know.

It was definitley £299 at launch.I worked for Virgin at the time so got my staff discount and a Sony record bag.

Bloody expensive for the time.

I paid £399 for a bloody 3DO!

The 3DO was really technically quite special at the time and the games looked a genuine leap up compared to everything else out. I still remember the first time I saw one running in an independant shop and wanted it in that 'I'm 12 and must own it' style. Road Rash and NFS justified the purchase 10x over.

I remember the day I bought the PAL Saturn for £399.99 in Comet, Well my dad bought it :unsure: Its amazing to think people are throwing a fit over what the PS3 represents for £425 compared to some of the previous prices.

The Jaguar was around £250-300 as well wasn't it?

The only console that I would describe as reasonably priced, at launch, was the GameCube.

The Dreamcast wasn't far behind at £199.99

Did you get a free DVD player with that? or was it £299.99 with the DVD player?

The Xbox was released at £299 in March 2002 but then reduced to £199 in less than a month wasn't it? Wasn't there some sort of rebate or cash back. I seem to remember something about 2 free games and a controller?

A Microsoft thank-you pack to all launch adopters- two pads and an MS-published game.

One of the more embarassing post-launch back-pedals, that one.

So anything costing over £300 seems destined to fail commercially, then?

A Microsoft thank-you pack to all launch adopters- two pads and an MS-published game.

Much better than if they'd offered nothing though!

I remember taking advantage of a scam that someone posted on the Edge forum. I bought it just before the price drop, sent off for my free games and pad, took the console back to Game for a full refund, then bought another Xbox a couple of days later for the reduced price.

2 games and 1 pad.

Did you get a free DVD player with that? or was it £299.99 with the DVD player?
The Dreamcast+DVD player bundle was introduced some time after the launch, around mid-2000 IIRC. I'm not sure what the price was, but £300 sounds about right.