Andy Taylor has left Duran Duran!

Hello Goaty ♥

Duran Duran's commercial fortunes suffered a huge blow in 1986 when Andy Taylor first left the group midway through recording the Notorious album

I'm being a bit sad here but "Notorious" was a great album, and Andy Taylor has left the band several times over

anyways, a hip hop style Duran Duran album would be funny, I doubt anything new they do will ever be as memorable as the proper 80s stuff

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

It's a sad day indeed. Astronaut was a decent comeback, and if it's true that they ditched a whole album's worth of New Romantic-type stuff in favour of trying to be copyists and getting Timbaland to produce, then they've shot themselves in the foot yet again. This could be a debacle of Thank You-type proportions and the final nail in the coffin...

t's a sad day indeed. Astronaut was a decent comeback, and if it's true that they ditched a whole album's worth of New Romantic-type stuff

Astronaut had some good solid songs but nothing too adventurous, I wonder if this new "new romantic" stuff was daring enough

fuck it I want Japan to reform and get the New Romantic scene back up and running :(

Astronaut had some good solid songs but nothing too adventurous, I wonder if this new "new romantic" stuff was daring enough

fuck it I want Japan to reform and get the New Romantic scene back up and running :)

Japan were wonderful, but I think on balance I like Sylvian's solo stuff much more, especially Gone To Earth and Blemish. I remember they tried reforming as Rain Tree Crow but it just ended up sounding like a Sylvian album.

• 9 months later...
To be honest, I don't think Andy Taylor is a big loss. The man's a fool. Bring back Warren!

Anyways, their new song with Timberlake and Timberland is available to listen to at;

EW Duran

It sounds great, contemporary etc but they've forgotten to include a tune again! (as with the whole of "Liberty", "Medazzaland", and "Pop Trash").

Aye, I said to the girlfriend that it's okay but it's not really a song!

Two other tracks are out there if people are interested: 'Skin Divers' and 'Falling Down'

Easily find on google if people fancy a listen. These are the three done with Timbaland and Timberlake.

Personally, I don't think they could do much worse than Astronaut, which had a decent track (Nice) but, for me, was a bit too much of a polished turd, sadly. I think Pop Trash and, especially, Medazzaland were stronger albums.

Of course, it was no Liberty, although My Antartica was on Liberty and that's a lovely song.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...

I was good friends with his brother Ronald and some of his cousins many years ago. Andrew was off into the clouds on his own back then and you could just tell he was going to have a fucking good go of things once he got a chance. So glad he fucking made it.

I worked in his bar for a bit in Whitley Bay back in the day (called Rio, believe it or not. It's a Turkish restaurant now. It was across the road from Stings bar, which looked over onto the beach and was called, wait for it... Dunes!)

His mum and dad had a party once and he turned up for it in the middle of a Duran Duran USA tour. I'll never forget it because he threw me out for burning their new carpet. He was on my hate list for a while after that.

Very sorry to hear he's not doing so well.