GAME 10 Day Returns gone

Rev

Did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Anyway, it seems they've stopped their 10 day returns. 28 Days money back but only if still sealed (and they seem to be putting their own seal on it). This was in Camden and Hammersmith.

So that's the only reason to buy from Game gone then.

Certain branches have been doing this for a long time, but I think its been a month now country wide.

As for bringing their prices in line with supermarkets etc, not for new releases. They are selling COD3 for £49.99, I walked to HMV (the shop next door) and picked it up for £37.95.

So yeah, they will need to come up with something to survive.

Aye, I price-matched CoD3 to the £37.95 in HMV. So long as you don't pay extra, the loyalty card makes it worth my while getting it there rather than HMV.

This also puts a new spin on their policy of gutting games for display, which I have generally defended. However, if they refuse to take back games that have had the seal broken, then why should we take them in the first place?

I think this could be a disaster for Game as people are increasingly price savvy and will shop where it's cheaper, whereas in the past perhaps the knowledge that the game could be returned made it worthwhile paying a few quid extra - although the increasingly quietly advertising 'Lowest Price Guarantee' does mean you shouldn't have paid more than any other high street shop. Before asking about the price match I looked around the store for a sign saying they do it, but couldn't see one, and the stickers no longer say 'Lowest price guaranteed'. Once Christmas kicks in and the queues are out the door, people won't be queuing uo to ask like I did, they will just go to HMV.

Did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Anyway, it seems they've stopped their 10 day returns. 28 Days money back but only if still sealed (and they seem to be putting their own seal on it). This was in Camden and Hammersmith.

So that's the only reason to buy from Game gone then.

As GAME don't sell sealed games, for their own convenience, and are notorious for selling second hand as new, does this then mean they'll refuse to accept a second hand game they sold you as new if it's not got their seal on it?

EDIT Yeah, what Benito said.

As GAME don't sell sealed games, for their own convenience, and are notorious for selling second hand as new, does this then mean they'll refuse to accept a second hand game they sold you as new if it's not got their seal on it?

I once bought a DVD from game still sealed. I opened it up and the extras DVD was missing. I took it back and the woman on the till refused to believe me saying that she had taken the seal off them all. I was quite shocked she would call me a liar over an extras DVD. Luckily there was another guy on the till who I had sorta got to know, he just went into the back and sorted it out for me.

ed: this is another reason to buy online, distance selling act for the win. My friend went to a computer shop (microdirect in manchester) to buy a £1000 LCD TV / monitor. He asked if he could see it before buying it, they refused. He asked if he could bring it back if he didn't like it, they said no. That seems odd to me, surely you have a right to see what you're buying otherwise you should be granted a return?

Sorry if I am straying a bit here..

Aye, I price-matched CoD3 to the £37.95 in HMV. So long as you don't pay extra, the loyalty card makes it worth my while getting it there rather than HMV.

I'm at least 70% sure that the HMV games loyalty card offers better value than GAME's doesn't it?

I certainly seem to have had more from it in a shorter period of time, at least.

I didn't buy anything, so I don't really know. But it looked like a person in the first shop was buying a second hand game and I *think* that they were applying the seal to as it was being purchased. In the second store, Hammersmith, a guy was buying Tiger Woods on the PSP. He was definitely given a factory sealed copy and there was definitely a further purple seal applied on top.

Both seals were being applied with the purchase - fun for christmas queuing.

I saw this happen in the Taunton branch a couple of weeks ago. The customer was buying a new game, the insides were taken from the drawer, placed back in the box, and then a sticker was placed across the opening. She told him that the 10 day thing had been withdrawn etc etc

Yeah, I bought a second-hand GC copy of Resi 4 from one of GAME's Aberdeen branches about 3 or 4 weeks ago and they stuck a seal over it (as well as a GAME sticker on the front cover, back cover and the fucking manual) and told me they wouldn't give me a refund if I returned it with the seal broken. And I still bought it! What a loser. Such is the power of Resi 4, I guess.

I've got £18 on my Game loyalty card. guess I better use it before they go out of business! :)

I've got £18 on my Game loyalty card. guess I better use it before they go out of business! :(

I've got £18 on my Game loyalty card. guess I better use it before they go out of business! :wub:

Oh loyalty card - I got one from the guy I bought the 360 from (360 + hitman + PGR3 + 2nd controller).

How much you think would be on it?

Oh loyalty card - I got one from the guy I bought the 360 from (360 + hitman + PGR3 + 2nd controller).

How much you think would be on it?

Game have been doing this north of the border for a while, picked up Perfect Dark Zero in the summer on Sat afternoon whilst in town, £30 for the special edition, thought it'd be worth a bash and could return it.

Got it home, was a sealed copy, tried, realized it was a bit shit, noticed the back of the receipt was blank and didn't have no return policy, after a quick call was politely told that "they now accept returns up to 30days, if they are sealed", this was said in a tone trying to push it as a good thing.

Still got PD0 sitting on the shelf, haven't been back to game since.

Two lessons learned:

- Impulse buying = bad

- Game = bad

Yes it does mean that. I bought Quake 4 a while ago from in there and the disk was scratched when I opened it, it was already unsealed of course. I took it back to the shop and they blamed it on my 360, I was stood in there arguing with the assistant manager (the main one was on holiday apparently) for about 30 minutes and gave up in the end.

I still haven't sorted that out yet actually, I'll have to make a thread in AtF to see what my rights are...

Yes it does mean that. I bought Quake 4 a while ago from in there and the disk was scratched when I opened it, it was already unsealed of course. I took it back to the shop and they blamed it on my 360, I was stood in there arguing with the assistant manager (the main one was on holiday apparently) for about 30 minutes and gave up in the end.

I still haven't sorted that out yet actually, I'll have to make a thread in AtF to see what my rights are...

Christ man, get it sorted. That is shocking.

Phone their customer services and make a hoo-hah

always ask to look at any disk any games shop sells you that's not in the sealed case.

it's the only way.

always ask to look at any disk any games shop sells you that's not in the sealed case.

it's the only way.

But if the lighting in the shop isn't good, it can be hard to see scratches. Happened to me once when one chain actually briefly had a policy of making people look at the disc. It looked fine in the shop, but when I got it home and saw it under some proper light, it wasn't so good.

it's the only way.

Funny story: During the argument I accused them of selling faulty 2nd hand goods as new, the manager asked me if I wanted to go into the back and look through their stock for any other damaged disks (because apparently all their disks are in perfect condition). As I was pretty certain that I'd find a damaged disk in one of their drawers I agreed to come in one day the following week while I was off uni and take a look, obviously he quickly changed the subject.

Basically the entire argument was my word against his, shouldn't I win in such a situation? I don't need to prove that it was damaged before sale or anything do I?

I don't need to prove that it was damaged before sale or anything do I?

you shouldn't have to, but you do - because the managers are generally fannies.

on a side note, I reckon Gamestation are going to abandon their policy - there's a snippy cunt in Edinburgh who gets right humpty if you come in with a credit note from a previously returned game. He was mithering me about it twice, saying that they were going to record how many times a person does it, and only give them 3 chances.

Sounds like he's either talking shite, or GS are going to be changing their system.

Depends on where you go, but my local game in Warrington are superb. They phone me to say when sell dates have been broken, and as I know them well, if I dont like the game, they will swop it. Not very often though....

They are good guys in Warrington, have a keen interest in games, and if your friendly and honest, they always help out.

My 2 pence worth, but give them a shot if your in the area :-)

Cheers

Alan

Yeah, when I worked there we would be given a list of the Christmas bundles. We'd moan that they weren't very good, that other shops were offering better, and ask if we could match other shops if the customer requested it.

No. Was ther simple answer. We'd be told that Game had good margins on the games in their offers and that these were the only games that could be used. This, we were told, would not be a problem at Christmas as the shops with great bundles would sell out quick and, because of the time of year, restocks would be very limited. Thus, people would have no choice but to come to Game and so we'd sell-out as well.

The slightly sad thing is that it worked. Each of the three years I was there, it'd be a little slow to start with as the savvy customers who got in early and shopped around would buy elsewhere, but then we'd sell-out of Playstations and even N64s, a few weeks before Christmas when the masses descended. All of them sold with the bundles on offer.

I also remember we used to have an offer whereby every time someone bought a Playstation they could have a free game from the platinum range. However, our regional manager told us not to offer this unless we felt we had to in order to secure the sale! This was to improve the margins for his region.

I think all companies are like this, sadly, and it's a shame.