IGNORED

Wii:To Waiit or Not.

Sticks & Stones

I am like many a Nintendo fanboy. We've been waiting for what feels like years for Wii, and more importently Zelda to arrive into our palms. Even if NOE's release sqedule screws us over yet again. Or we won't get as many "serious" developers making epic games (unless Nintendo wins more market share).

As long as we have our usual Mario, Pokemon, Metroid and whatnot, we're as happy as the Halo/MGS weirdos.

I bought a 360 in January (repaired twice, this third one will be repaired shortly). Not just out of my boredom of nothing coming out in Nintendo Land of console gaming (note the word console, not handheld) and Zelda being delayed till God knows when.

The 360 had several things that intrested me. Besides the "hope" that Rare might release something as magical as they used to (but PDZ and Kameo turned out "ok") the real excitement was this Live bussiness.

Dreamcast was a joy to play online, so to imagine that at the hands of Mr All-Controlling Internet Company Folk was an envy while I stared at Street Fighter 3 on Xbox while the only 2D fighter on Gamecube was Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO. That didn't turn out too well.

Live Arcade. Achievements. CONSTANT releases of quality games. Real (or at least pretend) involvement from Microsoft that makes you feel safe (with thier support and interviews being much more open). All this suprise came after I bought 360.

In short the 360 has given for me at least, a great year of gaming.

Here's the problem.

Wii, besides Zelda has nothing bang on at release. Now, Zelda is the defining joy of gaming of course. So special is Zelda that heck, it would be worth getting even if Wii were £599 (hoho).

But logically, its not. The game is a GC port, while the real Wii titles are months away with Mario, Metroid and whatnot. This is not to say I wouldn't have fun with Rayman 4 or Monkey Ball. In concept (and screenshots) they look great. Just not, you know...compared to...

The 360 Winter Line-Up-Me-Doo:

Gears

Sonic

Hawk 8

DOAX2

Viva Pinata

PSU

Wireless Headset

I could fit all of those, plus Enchanted Arms, for the same(similer) price all the Wii stuff would cost.

Are any one of those games going to be as memorable as a brand spanking new Zelda? Probably not. But I sure as hell would be getting alot more for my money.

So while I've usually been an impulse buyer, it's made me think "what if I wait for Wii, and get my 360 stuff?". I'd say by next christmas Wii will have all the essentials out of the door. We'll see the long-term reaction once Zelda is done and dusted, if Nintendo and indeed 3rd parties can make use of the controls, and all that stuff.

But I'm just having a hard time choosing. Wii, or 360 stuff. It's driving me nuts.

All I do know is, it's a great period to be a gamer.

Help? :angry:

Gears seems like the only must buy to me in that 360 list at full price. The Wii isn't likely to be significantly cheaper any time soon, but those other 360 games are probably going to fall in price quite a bit (especially second hand) over the next year. As it looks like you want to buy a Wii eventually, I'd buy Gears, Wii and Zelda now. That should keep you going for a while, and when you've finished those, then you can decide what your next purchase should be. You'll be able to choose from the best from both platforms.

Get one. No question.

Zelda's clearly not just a GC port, it's more than that. Sure, Gears of War's looking sweet, but will Sonic, Viva Pinata and a wireless headset really give you as much fun over christmas as bashing up monsters by swinging your imaginary sword? Also, Christmas = parties = Wii Sports.

You're lucky enough to have a 360 already, and you can afford a Wii too? Get it. I'm sure you'll get a gift voucher for Xmas to put towards GOW over new year.

I'm thinking similar thoughts, and I have decided to move buying a Wii forward. One reason is the 360, as I've got so much to play and there's so much coming that I simply can't justify purchasing a new machine at this moment. Second reason is the launch line-up, as there's nothing apart from Zelda that grabs me. Third reason is the 'region-bomb' Nintendo dropped on us a couple of weeks ago.

When the DS came out I thought little of it, and I got one once the developers (including Nintendo) started pushing the right buttons and the good games started to come out. With the Wii I plan to do the same. Let the early adopters find out if Freeloader works, which European games will or won't work on a US Wii, which overhyped launchtitles are actually really good, how progressive scan and widescreen is implemented on EU and US machines and if it's possible to download content and play players from other regions.

Then when the inevitable summer drought hits in full force in June/July I put all these reports together, get a EU or US machine and Wii my way through summer :angry:

If you were a proper nintendo fanboy you'd be drooling at the prospect of Wii sports and Wii play and Excitetruck, and not moaning the that zelda game is really a GC title.

The fact he isn't about to explode in excitement about the new Zelda makes me think he's actually a robot.

Are you being seWiious? Get a Wii!

You won't regret it, and you're not really saving anything as you'll end up getting a Wii later on anyway, after everyone else has already been enjoying the new Zelda for two months. Plus, from what I've heard, one or two of the 360 titles on your list aren't all that great (Viva Pinata?)...

Zelda TP and the Wii launch are gaming milestones - event products. It's more fun to be enjoying them with everone else for the first time than later on. In other words, if the new Zelda game is as important to you as you say then you should want it to be as great as it can possibly be.

Not really, when you think about it. All Live on 360 has caused is users going around like a herd of sheep from one game to another. Is it fun to do however? Sometimes, yes.

Get one. No question.

Zelda's clearly not just a GC port, it's more than that. Sure, Gears of War's looking sweet, but will Sonic, Viva Pinata and a wireless headset really give you as much fun over christmas as bashing up monsters by swinging your imaginary sword? Also, Christmas = parties = Wii Sports.

You're lucky enough to have a 360 already, and you can afford a Wii too? Get it. I'm sure you'll get a gift voucher for Xmas to put towards GOW over new year.

It is a GC port with added Wii controls. You can't argue otherwise. Some "purists" are even annoyed with Wii making the game mirrored. Is Wii version better due to controls however? Most probably.

I'm thinking similar thoughts, and I have decided to move buying a Wii forward. One reason is the 360, as I've got so much to play and there's so much coming that I simply can't justify purchasing a new machine at this moment. Second reason is the launch line-up, as there's nothing apart from Zelda that grabs me. Third reason is the 'region-bomb' Nintendo dropped on us a couple of weeks ago.

When the DS came out I thought little of it, and I got one once the developers (including Nintendo) started pushing the right buttons and the good games started to come out. With the Wii I plan to do the same. Let the early adopters find out if Freeloader works, which European games will or won't work on a US Wii, which overhyped launchtitles are actually really good, how progressive scan and widescreen is implemented on EU and US machines and if it's possible to download content and play players from other regions.

Then when the inevitable summer drought hits in full force in June/July I put all these reports together, get a EU or US machine and Wii my way through summer :angry:

Ergh, wires, resolutions and import compatibily matters little to me. But the fact so much is coming out on 360 does indeed make me question my choices...

Get a Wii. Play the Sonic demo on Live, cleanse yourself, then strike it off your list. Seriously.

The full game is much, much better then that pre-E3 demo. But I am quite Sonic biased.

If you were a proper nintendo fanboy you'd be drooling at the prospect of Wii sports and Wii play and Excitetruck, and not moaning the that zelda game is really a GC title.

Yeah well I own Miyamoto signed underwear.

And Riiidddddggee Racer 6 and F-ZeroGX are better then what excitetruck probably offers. (I never liked the NES bike version).

HOLD UP GUYS

I've just realised that Sticks & Stones is a Nintendo plant, put here to begin another thread of near-unanimous praise for the Wii.

Not that I mind, I'm just sayin'.

I've been here since the dawn of man.(forum)

The fact he isn't about to explode in excitement about the new Zelda makes me think he's actually a robot.

In 2004 E3 I was exploding tons.

It is now 2006. It's still going to be awesome, but it should have been released a year earlier.

It is a GC port with added Wii controls. You can't argue otherwise.

You should read the 'Iwata Asks' interviews with the EAD team that developed Twilight Princess to understand why it isn't a port.

Plus, the Wii version will be released first. It's a Wii game first and foremost.

[EDIT -

It is now 2006. It's still going to be awesome, but it should have been released a year earlier.

Again, I refer you to the Iwata Asks interviews that confirms that the extra year of development time was very well spent.]

giant_frying_pan

"Riiidddddggee Racer 6 and F-ZeroGX are better then what excitetruck probably offers. (I never liked the NES bike version)."

Hahaha. What? Yeah okay. You'd best not get a launch one, if you're coming up with things like that you're obviously not keen.

Message Board, Photo Channel and Mii Channel are the things that have me most excited. I f'ing adore my gameboy camera, and mario paint, and pictochat, and animal crossing, and now they are all going to be sat there by my tv, sending images and characters around the world, recieving mails from friends on cellphones, getting messages from Nintendo, joining in Mii Parades, and making cute, simple games out of my digital photos.

It's so incredibly NINTENDO that if you were a real nintendo fan, you wouldn't even need Zelda to be excited for Wii. But that's there too.

You should read the 'Iwata Asks' interviews with the EAD team that developed Twilight Princess to understand why it isn't a port.

Plus, the Wii version will be released first. It's a Wii game first and foremost.

[EDIT -

Again, I refer you to the Iwata Asks interviews that confirms that the extra year of development time was very well spent.]

giant_frying_pan

Wii version (besides controls and being mirrored) adds what then? noises from the Wiimote? whoop doo. Extra shading due to Wii capabilities? Gee whizz thats going to be a big difference.

The game. The plot. The dungeons. The towns. They will be the same. The game might be BETTER due to Wii, but it is the same game.

Also just because the Wii version comes out first doesn't make it the defult or how should I say.."as it was intended originally" Version. Its not first and foremost when they were developed side by side. If that.

I'm not here to argue the worth of Zelda, good lord.

Wii version (besides controls and being mirrored) adds what then? noises from the Wiimote? whoop doo. Extra shading due to Wii capabilities? Gee whizz thats going to be a big difference.

THE CONTROLS, man! It's not "the same game". The level of immersion will be totally beyond that of the GC, according to all accounts. Think of the big goofy grin on your face when you square up to a monster and do the proper motion to unleash your sword.

Scchhhhhhhhhing!

That's a moment where the "noises from the Wiimote" will certainly be rather "whoop do".

Seriously, this should be a no-brainer!

If you're excited about the channels, the controller, Zelda and the other games, then get one. I know I am!

If you're going "hmm, I dunno, it'll all be a gimmick and I'm not arsed about the games really"... don't!

Next thread: I don't really want a PS3 and I can't get one anyway: should I import?

"Riiidddddggee Racer 6 and F-ZeroGX are better then what excitetruck probably offers. (I never liked the NES bike version)."

Hahaha. What? Yeah okay. You'd best not get a launch one, if you're coming up with things like that you're obviously not keen.

Are you suggesting ExciteTruck offers 200+ races, online play and billions of unlockables? Or in F-Zero's case as fast an experence? (and as difficult, and as great looking?)

I'd rather look forward to Mario Kart Wii, as ExciteTruck doesn't look like it has any of the above. Moreso a racer with Wii controls.

Rayman and Monkey Ball however as I said earlier, look loads of fun.

Are you suggesting ExciteTruck offers 200+ races, online play and billions of unlockables? Or in F-Zero's case as fast an experence? (and as difficult, and as great looking?)

I'd rather look forward to Mario Kart Wii, as ExciteTruck doesn't look like it has any of the above. Moreso a racer with Wii controls.

Rayman and Monkey Ball however as I said earlier, look loads of fun.

I'm suggesting that it's about as fast and pretty as GX, and I have no idea about races or unlockables but it's not online. However I was more laughing at you saying you weren't into ExciteBike on the NES. As though that's going to be a useful guide! Look, you clearly don't want one, so don't get it. It's okay!

I'm suggesting that it's about as fast and pretty as GX, and I have no idea about races or unlockables but it's not online. However I was more laughing at you saying you weren't into ExciteBike on the NES. As though that's going to be a useful guide! Look, you clearly don't want one, so don't get it. It's okay!

It's not about not wanting one. It's thinking if its worth getting one right at release or not.

And fair enough the bike reference isn't valid heh, but if all it involves is jumping up and down cliffs...(never played the N64 one).

Think I might get the Wii now just to spite this thread. Grr.

I'm suggesting that it's about as fast and pretty as GX

No, no, no. No game is as pretty as F-Zero GX. It's subjective of course, but no game I've yet seen, and I've got a PS3 in the office. I may be a Wii enthusiast, but I'm not going to even dare imagine that ExciteTruck is up there with Nintendo(/Sega/Anyone)'s finest racers.

I've decided to put my Wii purchase back till the summer for various reasons people have already pointed out in this thread. I'm just gonna buy Zelda for the GC this christmas then wait until theres a decent catalogue of Wii games before I invest in one. If Zelda is really good, I'll want to play it again with the new control scheme.

It's not about not wanting one. It's thinking if its worth getting one right at release or not.

Agh! Do you think you'll play the launch stuff much!

If yes: turn to buy page

If no: turn to www.xbox360.com or wherever, come back in a few months when there's more.