IGNORED

Wii:To Waiit or Not.

Sticks & Stones

Actually it wasn't even Zelda that convinced me to get one, it was seeing the Wii Sports games in action and my wife saying "that looks a good laugh". Up until that point I was going back and forth on whether to get a 360, wait until the supposed price came down or a get a second hand one (360). The Wii was way off the radar.

We saw the people playing Wii Sports and suddenly it became much more interesting to us than some of the reasons for getting a 360 - mainly that my wife and I could play together. Which worked out better in that it's easier to convince her to watch Greys Anatomy another night and play on the Wii than it would be to convince her to watch it another night while I play single player Dead Rising. :angry:

Agh! Do you think you'll play the launch stuff much!

If yes: turn to buy page

If no: turn to www.xbox360.com or wherever, come back in a few months when there's more.

I think I'll play Zelda loads, with Rayman, Monkey Ball and WiiPlay/Sports in dabs (or more if the perents join in, they do like the DS).

But if your judging this by length. Does Zelda length = longer then the 7 360 games + Wirrrreeeless Headset?

I think I'll play Zelda loads, with Rayman, Monkey Ball and WiiPlay/Sports in dabs (or more if the perents join in, they do like the DS).

But if your judging this by length. Does Zelda length = longer then the 7 360 games + Wirrrreeeless Headset?

If you're going by length, you should probably just buy the complete Dostoyevsky.

If you're judging your purchasing by length, you'd be better off with some old RPGs on older consoles. I'm sure you can find plenty of lengthy mediocre games in any bargain bin without needing to pay £50 a pop.

If you're judging your purchasing by length, you'd be better off with some old RPGs on older consoles. I'm sure you can find plenty of lengthy mediocre games in any bargain bin without needing to pay £50 a pop.

It was sarcasm to milk's comment :angry:

How else would you reply to "Will you play the launch games much?!"

Eesh. Here's how I decided not to get a 360 yet. I wouldn't play any of the games for more than about an hour. I have no interest in them beyond idle curiosity, so I guess I'd probably like a few but not many. Presto, it's a decision! By contrast I'm really interested in the Wii. I'll play lots of the things on it! Probably quite a lot!

Even I have been having bad thoughts regarding the launch. Sure Ill get my wii when its released come december BUT at the moment Zelda is the only game Im really interested in.

Two other games - excite truck and trauma center - have been delayed to early next year. Im quite dissapointed in this to be honest, especially as USA gets them before xmas (or at launch).

Ill get Wario Ware, pressuming its released this side of xmas too.

However - two other games I was considering - Red Steel and Monkey Ball - ive been put off by reviews or previews. I might still buy them, but as friends are getting them I might as well try them first before handing out cash for games Im not gonna enjoy.

The VC is a bit dissapointing for me. Ill buy Mario 64 no doubt, but the other games I dont have much interest in buyin especially as I own most of them on cartridge already.

The internet/channels are kind of interesting and want to see what they do with them. Its shocking that online 3rd party games are at least half a year away though.

The way I see it is when do you plan on getting a Wii? I'd guess the first price cut will come in about a year's time and I don't reckon it will be very much. Therefore my reasoning is I may as well buy one at launch at £180 since I'll want one probably before the price cut and so waiting a few months is not going to save me much. If you have the money and think you'll be a Wii sooner rather than later then get one now. You are not going to save a lot if you wait. If you don't have th emoney then you just have to decide what you want to use your availible funds on more - Wii or some 360 games? There's no wrong answer, it's just what you want to play more.

Furthermore I seem to be different from most people here becuase whilst I am absolutely looking forward to Zelda I'm most looking forward to trying out some other games with the Wii controller. Red Steel I'll probably pick up to see how it plays. Wii Sports looks like a load of fun. Wii Play looks great as well. Tony Hawks for the first time in years looks to be something different from the countless games than came before it. Excitetruck looks very cool, being able to play N64 games is also an added incentive since my N64 is no longer hooked up and the Xbox has never been able to manage N64 games very well.

What I'm trying to say if you are only looking forward to Zelda then maybe wait, but the thing I'm looking forward to mainly is the new controller. Seeing how new games take advantage of it, trying to get my non-gaming flatmates into it, mucking about on Wii Tennis, playing Air Hockey on Wii Play and seeing how Red Steel handles with the controller.

I'm hyped about the controller far more than any one game and can't wait to finally get my hands on and play it. Personally the 360 looks good and I'll probably pick it up next year some time but it just does not interest me in the same way the Wii controller does. Yeah Gears of War will be great and Dead Rising looks like a lot of fun but I've got loads of games on current formats to finish and TBH a lot of 360 games just look like the same old stuff we've been getting over the last 5 years with a spankly new coat of paint.

Obviosuly thats being unfair but when you show me Gears of Wars up and running and when you show me being able to go Bowling using the Wii remote then it's no contest as to which one gets me more excited.

The way I see it is when do you plan on getting a Wii? I'd guess the first price cut will come in about a year's time and I don't reckon it will be very much. Therefore my reasoning is I may as well buy one at launch at £180 since I'll want one probably before the price cut and so waiting a few months is not going to save me much. If you have the money and think you'll be a Wii sooner rather than later then get one now. You are not going to save a lot if you wait. If you don't have th emoney then you just have to decide what you want to use your availible funds on more - Wii or some 360 games? There's no wrong answer, it's just what you want to play more.

Bingo. That's the tricky part. Do I spend the money on new hardware + games, or do I get games for what I already have?

What do I want more is subject to the sheer amount "more" I could get on 360 because I already have the essential equiptment to play. If you were to give me a free Wii, I'd happily divide my wants, say, half of the 360 list and the other half of Wii games.

Also if I were to wait for Wii its not due to wanting a price drop, but again, thinking if it would be better or worse then. It's also a good point that the 360 games mentioned will be dropped in price far quicker then Nintendo stuff (I bet Luigi's Mansion is STILL £20 over at GAME).

I've also thought about getting the bare minimum of Wii stuff, so I can fit 2 360 games onto the budget, but again its a tough decision.

Makes me want to do a U-Turn and get something crazy instead. Like every Star Trek Next Generation DVD.

Argh.

I think getting a Wii at this stage is thoroughly, utterly pointless. It's much wiser to wait. As such, I urge everyone who has a pre-order at Woolworths to cancel it.

Why? If people want to play Wii games now, why not buy one now? When would you advocate buying one? Even if you think the launch line up is not great unless your planning on waiting a few years your not going to save much on the hardware. Maybe you think people should wait until more triple A games appear. Fair enough but the fact is people will still have to buy the hardware at some point. Yes they might save money if they wait a year or more but the console is only £180 so the potential savings that can be made are smaller than potential price drops of 360 and PS3.

The way I see it, if you want the console within the next 6 months you'll probbaly pay a similar amount if you buy at launch than if you buy in June. If cash flow right now is a problem then wait, but otherwise you may as well buy it now.

Going off topic a bit I don't need millions of games to keep me occupied. I've still got loads to play on curent Gen (which is one of the reasons I've not got a 360 yet, I've still got loads of games to keep me occupied) so Zelda and probably Red Steel at Wii Launch will keep me occupied for a while (I don't have much time to play games) and when I've finished them I'll pick up cheaply a few other launch games and then hopefully some new games will be starting to appear.

TBH I'm not usually that interested in picking up the latest stuff early on but the Wii has just got me far more excited than any other console becuase of the controller. Right now I'm kind of a despondent gamer since every other release just seems the same as the game before and I've got loads of good games to play, I just don't feel the euthasm to play them. But I'm really hyped about the Wii, I think it's going to offer something no other console has ever offered before and I think instead of the same old games rehashed again and again it's going to be a breath of fresh air in the same way the DS has been.

Going off topic a bit I don't need millions of games to keep me occupied. I've still got loads to play on curent Gen (which is one of the reasons I've not got a 360 yet, I've still got loads of games to keep me occupied) so Zelda and probably Red Steel at Wii Launch will keep me occupied for a while (I don't have much time to play games) and when I've finished them I'll pick up cheaply a few other launch games and then hopefully some new games will be starting to appear.

Similer to what a friend said to me a few days back: "You can only play 1 game at a time".

Which is quite right, as many gamers fall into the trap of having more then you can chew, leading to unfinished games-oh.

But all those games!..

Are you prepared to pay £200+ to play the GC Zelda with funky controls!? I'm sure as hell not. For me the best games for the Wii (like the DS) will be games designed specifically with the control(ler) in mind - this particular Zelda not being one of them.

I had a Wii preordered, it's now been cancelled and I pre-ordered the GC Zelda instead.

GoW is freakin awesome BTW.

For me the best games for the Wii (like the DS) will be games designed specifically with the control(ler) in mind - this particular Zelda not being one of them.

I judge a game on its merits, not on its controls. My favourite DS games include New Super Mario Bros, Advance Wars Dual Strike, the Phoenix Wrights and Castlevania, none of which use the touchscreen in a spectacular manner (apart from the bonus-case in PW1)

If I can choose to play Wii Zelda with better/more interesting controls in 480p on widescreen or play the Cube version which has been pretty much abandoned a year ago, I'd pick the Wii. Even though I don't buy a Wii at launch, I won't be getting the Cube version but wait until I can play it in full Wii glory :)

Are you prepared to pay £200+ to play the GC Zelda with funky controls!? I'm sure as hell not. For me the best games for the Wii (like the DS) will be games designed specifically with the control(ler) in mind - this particular Zelda not being one of them.

I had a Wii preordered, it's now been cancelled and I pre-ordered the GC Zelda instead.

Well if the only thing that interests you about the Wii is Zelda then don't bother. Personally I'm hyped about things like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Red Steel, Excitebike and just the controller in general.

Also the question is not whether he wants to pay £200 to play Zelda on the Wii, it's whether he should wait or not. There's no question in the original post that he's getting a console so it comes down to whether you pay £180 for it now or later.

Plus from what I've heard the Wii Zelda is THE version to get. Widescreen, fishing and general impressions say that the Wii version/controls are far superior to the GC version. Do you really want to play the inferior version of Zelda?

I was going to get a wii but then i thought it was a bit pointless getting a new console just for a port of a gamecube game. so ill pick up zelda on the cube and get a wii when the real games show up next year.

This.

Nothing on there that interests me right now, I expect it to eventually be equally as brilliant as the DS but we'll probably have to wait an equal ammount of time for the good stuff to appear.

I'm a bit baffled as to the reasoning that 'you might as well buy it now, enjoy the one game you want, then wait for others', for me there's no experience that's quite as bad as owning a new machine and having it stand helpless for months on end, the PS2 stung me enough in that particular regard.

I was going to get a wii but then i thought it was a bit pointless getting a new console just for a port of a gamecube game. so ill pick up zelda on the cube and get a wii when the real games show up next year.

They game was basically finished last year. They spent an entire year making the Wii version. It's not just a port.

I judge a game on its merits, not on its controls. My favourite DS games include New Super Mario Bros, Advance Wars Dual Strike, the Phoenix Wrights and Castlevania, none of which use the touchscreen in a spectacular manner (apart from the bonus-case in PW1)

If I can choose to play Wii Zelda with better/more interesting controls in 480p on widescreen or play the Cube version which has been pretty much abandoned a year ago, I'd pick the Wii. Even though I don't buy a Wii at launch, I won't be getting the Cube version but wait until I can play it in full Wii glory :(

But all those games (or incarnations) have been done on other systems without the touch screen extras or enhancements. Do you think you would have enjoyed these games any less?

but as you and Charles said...

Plus from what I've heard the Wii Zelda is THE version to get. Widescreen, fishing and general impressions say that the Wii version/controls are far superior to the GC version. Do you really want to play the inferior version of Zelda?

This is what it all boils down...Nintendo are using the control (Most interesting? maybe. Better? Not necessarily), WS and 480p support as the reason to spend £200 on a new system to play Zelda. It's a smart move business by Nintendo. They know people will do it.

I judge a game on it's merits too and I personally think I can get the same enjoyment out of the GC Zelda without having to spend £200+ on these extras.

Also the question is not whether he wants to pay £200 to play Zelda on the Wii, it's whether he should wait or not. There's no question in the original post that he's getting a console so it comes down to whether you pay £180 for it now or later.

Ok a fair point but I got the impression that the reason he is in the decision of "to wait or not to wait" is because he wants other games but he really wants to play Zelda.

All I was trying to say was that he can do both by not buying a Wii and buying the GC version of Zelda but if that's not an option for the guy, that's his decision.

All I was trying to say was that he can do both by not buying a Wii and buying the GC version of Zelda but if that's not an option for the guy, that's his decision.

I sold my GC at the beginning of the year. Yes I could possibly find a used GC for £20 if I wanted to, however.

The only reason I'd grab GC Twilight however is due to its rarity, not to play it (unless to compare AFTER playing the Wii version).