The Hobbit Trilogy

Goose

I saw it today and agree totally with this.

I would love to see a proper Silmarillion trilogy in the style of the original LOTR films. Each one could cover one of the big stories (Children of Hurin, Gondolin, Numenor) with the Music of the Ainur and all the Valinor stuff framing and linking them together. It's perfect in my mind but of course it will never happen, which is just as well because if it did it would never live up to my ridiculous expectations.

Are the rest of the rights still with the Tolkein family though? I'd love to see a Children of Hurin film

preferably directed by Darren Aronofsky at his bleak-as-fuck best.

The Eagles are never expanded upon in the movies, their role seems to be little more than a horse, to be commanded into battle by the wizards. But in the books they are intelligent beings with their own leaders who were placed on Middle Earth to help in the fight against Morgoth. They are always there to fight against Morgoth and Sauron because that is their purpose. So yeah I always like to see their eagles kick some Orc butt.

Well, something that's definitely missing is

Legolas and Tauriel's foray into Angmar. They camp up outside and say they're going to wait until nightfall to check the place out, and the next thing we see of them is their arrival at Erebor to tell everyone an orc army is on the way.

Well, something that's definitely missing is

Legolas and Tauriel's foray into Angmar. They camp up outside and say they're going to wait until nightfall to check the place out, and the next thing we see of them is their arrival at Erebor to tell everyone an orc army is on the way.

They didn't get to check the place out. The army emerged just before they were going to go in so that plan got cancelled. It's the bit where they talk about WAR BATS.

More of the same, really. Overwrought, self-indulgent, Lord-of-the-Rings flavoured. It's no Return of the King, not by a long shot.

This was my least favourite of the three. It's got the most 'filler' and feels overlong, despite being shorter than the previous two.

The nods to LotR were either clumsily handled ("Legolas, go and find Strider now!") or lazily recycled imagery (Galadriel going all goth again).

The bits of the story that weren't the battle were too short (Smaug's attack, the Necromancer battle), and the rest of the film seemed to consist of build-up after build-up and nothing interesting happening.

The battle itself was impressive, and I knew it wouldn't play out like it did in the book and that Bilbo would be more involved, so that didn't bother me so much. I quite liked how brutal some of the fights were. Legolas was as ridiculous as ever. 'Warbats' made me chuckle and everybody laughed at the troll battering ram. :)

What the hell was up with

Billy Connolly's mouth? It looked like they CG'd it or something. :blink:

Sorry to see this is the last HFR film being made for a while (Avatar's next, isn't it?). I like the format and how 'real' it can make things look, but it's weird how it often feels like you're watching a behind-the-scenes video about the film you're really watching. I get why a lot of people don't like it.

I eagerly await the inevitable fan edit version of all three films condensed into one sensible length film. You know it'll happen. :P

I think the problem with this one is clear when you think back to the first time you saw The Two Towers. There's that brilliant moment where Peter Jackson shows the ordinary folk of Rohan in the cave at the back of Helm's Deep cowering at the terrible thud of the ranked thousands of uruk hai slamming their spears into the ground. You can real feel like you're with them at that moment - apprehensive of the coming onslaught, and that the next few hours will have deep and horrible consequences. It's a blindsidingly bathetic moment among all the pomp, wizards, and kings.

In Battle Of The Five Armies, you can practically hear Jackson just off (virtual) camera with a megaphones, shouting to release more bats, more dwarves, more orcs. It's like he lost all his instinct for telling a human story.

It was the first time I got to see HFR. It was a new cinema that just opened at the weekend. Foyer not even quite complete as they were just rushing to open for The Hobbit.

Certainly felt different as a cinema experience and I can see why people might find it jarring, but I was fine with it.

Just wondered: what counted as the fifth of the five armies? You had

Elves, Dwarves, Humans and Orcs as a distinct four, but I wasn't then quite sure if Bilbo counted as a one man Hobbit army, or they counted the two groups as dwarves as two Dwarf armies, or perhaps there were two Orc armies instead of one army in two divisions, or perhaps that was a Bird army which popped up near the end. Or maybe a Wizard army.... And actually the humans and elves seemed to be fighting as one so maybe they shouldn't count as two.

Well I really enjoyed it :) and I liked the first two too.

I thought the first two were shit. And I'm seriously considering not going to see this , but somehow I feel like I have to :/

Everyone I have spoken to has seen it has said it was terrible, worse than the other two as well. Argh.

Jesus, just don't bother??? Why do you feel like you HAVE to see it, especially as you'll be going in to the cinema thinking "I'm going to hate this, I hated the previous two, everyone I know hates it, why am I even here?"

Just forget about it, write it off and then in five years or so, you'll be flicking through the channels (looking at NETFLIX or whatever) and you'll see it and think, ah why not.... and you'll watch it and enjoy it because your expectations of it will have levelled to nothing.

Why don't you just go and see something that you know you'll like? Life's to short to be wasting your own time and then getting annoyed by your own choices.

I thought the first two were shit. And I'm seriously considering not going to see this , but somehow I feel like I have to :/

Everyone I have spoken to has seen it has said it was terrible, worse than the other two as well. Argh.

It's arguably better than the first two by not having the godawful river rapids bit from the second, or the confusing messy escape from the mountain bit in the first one, but it's still pretty horrible. I don't think I've seen a film so thin on text/sub-text in years, it's like a humdrum straight "canon" of events in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth. I was cringing so hard at the scenes that were effectively setting up the same characters in the LotR trilogy in the most matter-of-fact way.

This last movie is pretty forgettable; a great pre credits bit with Smaug, a few good fighting scenes but no real core to it. Just loads of fighting stuff, linked with incidental Alfred and Bilbo.

That whole visual use of the Massive epic armies thing is just had its day, seen it so many times now its just a visual wash.

I think the fifth army is basically the eagles. I can barely remember the book at this point, but I thought there were more animals involved in that. Of course, here the cavalry arrives and mops up the battle in the blink of an eye so it's easy to overlook them as a major participant.

The biggest problem I had with the battle was that it didn't feel like it was a worthy cause, or a desperate situation. Basically everyone was there to bicker over the treasure, aside from the Orcs who appeared to be there because they knew everyone else was going to be there. They did chuck in a couple of lines about the strategic importance of Erebor, but on the whole there was no sense of a last stand, and nothing leading up to the fighting gave you the chills that, say, Theoden's speech did in RotK.

OK, saw this today because I kind of had to after the previous 5 films. Pretty poor all round except for Billy Connolly, and I also struggled to count 5 armies. I will have to read the book again (will probably be quicker than watching the film) to check details.

Silly things I did enjoy...

Pouffe joke

Fatal Attraction moment

Silly smoking scene

Dune/Tremors moment

I've only watched the first two, and will hold off on this until it hits Netflix, but Jackson just hasn't managed to recapture the kinetic brilliance he had in the LOTR films.

I mean, just watch this and compare to any sequence in the Hobbit movies.

Exceptional film making.

Yes, this was my OTHER problem with the latest film. The bad guys have an endless supply of

well trained enormous trolls with fabulous armour/weaponry

but that might mean that they win easily, so they always run to the front and get shot with hundreds of arrows and die instantly.