IGNORED

A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

I'm sure they'll reintroduce PS2 emulation again on the 40GB models. I mean, why does it let you make virtual PS2 memory cards? Of course, you won't be able to play your own games, you'll have to pay for them again and download them from PSN.

There's no money in backwards compatibility, there is money in marketplace downloads.

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere on the net that that actually is the plan later down the road.

Its a shame really, as I have a 40GB PS3 but now I have finished Drakes and am working through Rathcet there is nothing left :( Everything else seems to be more agreeable on the 360.

Oh well...I use it lots for bluray and (just like a lot of other peeps) can't wait for MGS.

I wonder what they would price PS2 games at down the line? If they will charge £15 for Tekken 5, must be around that mark......maybe more. :(

I wonder what they would price PS2 games at down the line? If they will charge £15 for Tekken 5, must be around that mark......maybe more. :(

That's not sold as a PS2 game though, is it? It's in HD, isn't it? PS2 games will probably be as they are on disc and therefore probably won't cost £15. I know the PS2 isn't dead yet but just having the letters PS2 connected to a game shows its age and technical accomplishment.

They're about £7/8 or so. The games on the Wii Virtual Console are far too expensive though, in my opinion, especially the treatment some of the games get (50Hz and all that).

Its a shame really, as I have a 40GB PS3 but now I have finished Drakes and am working through Rathcet there is nothing left Everything else seems to be more agreeable on the 360.

Pick up Motorstorm, it can be frustrating later on but it's lots of fun and can be picked up for £15 or so. Other than that, there isn't much else worth getting on the PS3. For multi format titles the 360 is my console of choice.

Of course, tha's set to change when Everybody's Golf is out, and WipEout HD later on down the line :(

Going forward I can't imagine buying multi format titles on my 360 anymore. Online isn't that much of a draw, and I've already canceled my Gold subscription. For that reason I think I'm probably the other way round to most people who have both consoles in that it will be exclusives only on the 360, and PS3 for everything else.

How high a price, considering you can pick up a PS2 for buttons these days?

Space under the TV

Plug sockets

AV Sockets

Wired controllers

Memory cards

=I'd rather just shill out. I'd only consider replacing my broken PS2 if I was going to put a HDD in it.

Going forward I can't imagine buying multi format titles on my 360 anymore. Online isn't that much of a draw, and I've already canceled my Gold subscription. For that reason I think I'm probably the other way round to most people who have both consoles in that it will be exclusives only on the 360, and PS3 for everything else.

Nether have I since I cancelled mine, and I wasn't even a big online player.

Are we past the stage where PS3 versions of multi-format games are inferior to the 360 versions? I can't say I check and I'm only alerted if something is newsworthily inferior.

Sometimes I just choose based on whether I prefer the boxart in a 360 case or a PS3 case :(

It is a pain in the arse. The PS2 has a library too big and too diverse, including many absolute classics, to be be consigned to the loft just yet.

I have the 40gb PS3 and I'm not sure what I'd do if they reintroduce BC in a future model. If it was slimline, like the newer PS2, much cheaper, and offered FULL back wards compatibility, then I think I'd find it irresistible. But if they wanted to charge for an emulator I'd feel they were taking the piss a bit too much.

The controller is a very very good reason to buy multi-format titles on the 360.

That, and the fact they're invariably £5 cheaper (though, thankfully, this is slowly becoming less of the case).

Nether have I since I cancelled mine, and I wasn't even a big online player.

Are we past the stage where PS3 versions of multi-format games are inferior to the 360 versions? I can't say I check and I'm only alerted if something is newsworthily inferior.

Sometimes I just choose based on whether I prefer the boxart in a 360 case or a PS3 case :(

Eurogamer are still running comparison articles a lot and they appear to have gotten better.

There certainly are some lazyarse developers, considering so many are now getting it perfect.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94112

The controller is a very very good reason to buy multi-format titles on the 360.
Not for me. I much prefer the PS3 pad. It's more comfortable for prolonged use, and I don't have any problems with the sticks, dead-zone, or whatever. Maybe I'm just weird.
That, and the fact they're invariably £5 cheaper (though, thankfully, this is slowly becoming less of the case).

With imports the PS3 has much more potential for cheaper games.

It is a pain in the arse. The PS2 has a library too big and too diverse, including many absolute classics, to be be consigned to the loft just yet.

I have the 40gb PS3 and I'm not sure what I'd do if they reintroduce BC in a future model. If it was slimline, like the newer PS2, much cheaper, and offered FULL back wards compatibility, then I think I'd find it irresistible. But if they wanted to charge for an emulator I'd feel they were taking the piss a bit too much.

If they could charge for it they might actually do it and do a decent job of it. I'd rather them charge me than reintroduce it in a future model after I buy mine.

When it comes to FPS games or any games with gun combat where you need precision, the 360 pad always make the choice for me. Considering GTA4 has multiplayer combat now I can assume manual aiming will take a big part in that game and those sixaxis sticks just won't cut it, so I always get those games on the 360. That and Live.

Stuff like burnout paradise I don't mind getting on the PS3 if there are enough people here to play with. On my live friends list theres always an average of around 20 people on most nights at least.

Is it just me who prefers the PS3 pad? Obviously it'd be much better with a Dual-shock 3 packed in the box, but other than that I much prefer it to the 360 pad. I get awful hand cramp after using that pad for anything more than an hour, and having played COD4 on both consoles, I didn't find the 360 more accurate for aiming.

New Tekken + New Gran Turismo + New Metal Gear Solid

Those are the main 3 reasons I plumped for PS3. The pad is equally as nice as the Xbox360, but I couldn't imagine myself playing a GTA or a Timesplitters on it. I love it for PC emulation stuff though.

It'd be fine if it had proper triggers.

Yes. The triggers are a bit slippy. I'm now used to them but at first they just felt completely wrong as none of my fingers seemed to place themselves naturally, and I kept sliding right off them.

Is it just me who prefers the PS3 pad? Obviously it'd be much better with a Dual-shock 3 packed in the box, but other than that I much prefer it to the 360 pad. I get awful hand cramp after using that pad for anything more than an hour, and having played COD4 on both consoles, I didn't find the 360 more accurate for aiming.

I think so. The triggers are shit and there just isn't enough resistance in the sticks, they're flabby and loose and inferior to practically every pad on the market or that has come before it.

I much prefer the layout and feel of the 360 pad, sits in my hands better and no problems after hours of Halo/Call of Duty 4. I find the sixaxis sticks really fiddly, when I aim in Uncharted, I need to adjust it way longer than I should do, as a fault of the sticks which are far too loose and the deadzone. Don't like them next to each other either, give you less space to work with and be flexible in twin stick move/look situations.

Any pad that needs a plastic attachments from a shit magazine to go "yeah that's a bit better", and for the pad to still be well...shit, is pretty terrible in my eyes.

I think that could be down to the game's design as much as anything Uzi. I found it a bit over sensitive in Uncharted, and lining up head shots could be tricky. However in COD4 I have no problems at all. I can fine adjust my aim perfectly as well as quickly targeting enemies.

After seeing the advert during the F1, I'm now thinking of getting the GT5 Prologue bundle (and leavingit in my father-in-laws ouse until I've finished my college course in June, since work won't be happy if I fail).

have a couple of questions, though:

Does the console come with a SCART lead, or will I have to shell out for one? If it doesn't have one, what does it come with for connecting it to a TV?

Where is likely to be the cheapest place to pck it up?

Do I have to pay to play online?

What's the deal with the PSN thing? How much is it and what can I get on it?

Need a few pointers here...

Not just you. I prefer the PS3 pad over the 360 one too. Just feels alot more comfortable.