IGNORED

A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

I see they are predicting that Yakuza 3 is going to drop to under 50,000 units sold this week in Japan. Though it moved 120,000 last week it didn't really sell any extra machines or drive sales in the way I'm sure Sony were hoping for by putting out the game + console pack. It reckon it'll drop off the charts at about 200,000 odd sold, which is the same as the first game did in it's first year of release, but not as good as Yakuza 2 which did half a million. Maybe it'll be something people pick up later on. The first game actually sold another 200,000 in it's second year when it was re-released as a Greatest Hits title.

Local store G-Force. They were matching the Game weekend deal of two games and an extra controller for £299, but for an extra tenner he was willing to switch a six-axis for a Dualshock3, and he gave me some good prices on my trade-in gear which meant I only had to pay £90.

Not bad at all.

Ok so I've had my PS3 for 4 days now. I like it a lot, much more than I thought I would. The problem is that, despite the massive reliabilty issues, the 360 still has the edge in some important areas. It's quite irritating really because I'd like to buy multiplatform games on the PS3 because of the reliabilty of the 360 but I still feel like I can't. Anyway....

The good:

It's really quiet. The only time I ever really hear it is during occasional disk loading. My 360 is dead at the moment but it's going to be really hard turning it on when it's fixed and hearing that jet engine.

Having never owned a PSP the xmb is new to me, and I love it. It's sleek and smooth and logical, compared to the 360s clunky, jerky blades and illogical menus. And you can customise it to a far greater degree than the 360s and for free. Makes MS charging for themes and shit seem even more ridiculous.

It may be short on content but there's quite a lot of good stuff on PSN and it's cheap too.

Bought two games, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted. Not played the latter yet, but Ratchet is great, much more enjoyable than I was expecting. Nothing mind-blowing, it's no Mario Galaxy, just really solid and gorgeous looking and fun.

The Bad:

No in-game XMB. This needs to be sorted ASAP imo. Fuck HOME, it's horrible coming from the 360 to this, where you can't do anything without quitting out of your game first.

Most PSN games don't have demos. Again, seems like a backwards step coming from the 360.

The controller. Actually I don't find it as bad as a lot of people do, although the rumble seems a bit weak on the Dualshock 3. And the motion sensing just doesn't feel as good as on the Wii due to it being tacked onto an ancient controller design. But yeah, the pad isn't bad but I would rather play multiplatform games on the 360s pad.

Guest squarewings

Just got my ps3 about 6 days ago and felt the urge to come on here (long time lurker =D) and register just to say that I'm really impressed with it!

So much about it just seems like a really nice functional logical design, I've been a die-hard 360 fan for a fair while now and I don't exactly see myself buying teh multiformat titles for the ps3 (prefer 360's pad + achievements) I still think theres enough original content to justify a purcahse.

Nobody is really making enough of a big deal that the ps1 emulation is AMAZING, finally those of us who stupidly threw away their old tv's when they went HD can play the games without them looking like polygonal vomitus.

I got uncharted and UTIII with it. Uncharted I think is utterly incredible and made me remember how much I loved the old tomb raider games when i was a wee lad, UTIII I havent played so much but its a blast online.

What else is good for it?

The blu-ray player thing's cool too but I dont really think its much of a lifechanger, something like an internal toaster would've no doubt been more use =)

The fact that its region free is also incredible, hentai games and train sims ftw ahaha.

Can you still get a 60GB model? I can't find it.

Nope. Second-hand only. But I wouldn't be surprised if a 180GB unit with PlayTV preinstalled and back-compat arrived this Christmas.

IT'S A BLU-RAY PLAYER! IT'S A PVR! IT'S A PS2! IT'S 500 GIZMOS IN ONE!

60GB US and Japanese PS3's are 100% backwards compatible, at least they were for about a year. Not sure what the serial number is to look for for the 100% models. Anyone?

Keep in mind though if you want to buy a second hand 60 gig, you'll have to buy one from your region. The US and Japanese 60gigs are 100% backwards compatible, but only with games of those regions.

60GB US and Japanese PS3's are 100% backwards compatible, at least they were for about a year. Not sure what the serial number is to look for for the 100% models. Anyone?

20 and 60 gig US models = 100% compat (hardware emu)

80 = software emulation

Why would you need serial numbers?

This is all raaaather (possibly) interesting. First the official UK PS3 has the whole thing with linking your login to your PSN account (actually been delayed til April) and now Killzone 2 is doing something similar:

Link Your Account to the PLAYSTATION®Network!

Killzone.com is currently undergoing important changes behind the scenes. We're joining forces with the PLAYSTATION®Network to offer you new and exciting functionality. To take full advantage of future upgrades to the website, and to preserve your current profile, please link your Killzone.com account to your PLAYSTATION®Network account. It's a simple one-time procedure:

If you DO have a PLAYSTATION®Network account:

1. Sign in to your Killzone.com account.

2. When the dialog box prompts you to link your accounts, click on "yes".

3. Sign in to your PLAYSTATION®Network account.

If you DON'T have a PLAYSTATION®Network account:

1. Sign in to your Killzone.com account.

2. When the dialog box prompts you to link your accounts, click on "sign up here" to open the sign-up form in a new window.

3. Follow the instructions to create a new PLAYSTATION®Network account.

4. Return to the previous window and click on "yes".

5. Sign in to your PLAYSTATION®Network account.

You're done! Click on "OK" to return to Killzone.com. If you accidentally clicked on "no" when you were prompted to link your accounts, or if the dialog box doesn't appear for you at all, please click here.

For other questions regarding the account linking procedure, please refer to our updated website FAQ.

Interesting.

PS3comp seems fairly on-the-ball with regards to PAL backwards compatibility. At the very least, it's a hell of a lot more recent than faq.eu.playstation.

All in all, the BC is very comfortable although prepare for some disappointments - OutRun '06 (incidently, the last game I bought for my PS2) doesn't work and Yakuza (the second-to-last game I bought for my PS2) apparently locks up after an in-game event. So expect them on the trading forum fairly sharpish!

Keep in mind though if you want to buy a second hand 60 gig, you'll have to buy one from your region.

Just rang a couple of local game stores. Apparently they very rarely see second hand 60GB models, and they fetch rather high prices. :unsure: Why don't Sony offer both versions?

Just rang a couple of local game stores. Apparently they very rarely see second hand 60GB models, and they fetch rather high prices. :unsure: Why don't they offer both versions?

They are muppets for getting rid of BC, the upscaling is brilliant. they could at least bring out an upscaling PS2, plenty of great new PS2 releases this year. Well, Yakuza 2 anyway.