IGNORED

A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

The issue of backwards compatibility on the Sony PlayStation 3 has calmed down a bit over the past few months, but just when you thought we've all let go of that, some buzz from Germany brings it back to life.

Near as we can figure from the rough translation of the report from German sire Ingame, they were able to talk to a Sony supplier about the matter. The supplier apparently tipped them off that 40GB PS3s will be backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 games courtesy of a firmware update this October.

According to Ingame, the supplier even joked that he has to get rid of his 60GB PS3 stock before 40GB PS3s get BC. It appears that the older version of the console is in hot demand over in Europe because of their added functionality.

Take this one with a grain of salt, people. There's really no way of debunking or confirming it at the moment. We'll give you more updates soon.

http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PS2-backwards-comp...g/49/aid/120806

I'd be fucking glad if that turns out to be true. I will play Okami upscaled three times in a row to celebrate.

Hopefully they will sort out the terrible crackling noise issue Okami has on some 60Gb PS3's.

The software BC corresponds with the other rumour from earlier this year and it makes sense for Sony from a business point of view. I'll certainly buy my PS2 games via PSN all over again, just make them work properly, with upscaling if possible. Maybe they could be really considerate to PAL territories like Nintendo and make games like Katamari Damacy available in Europe.

Weren't a few people on here saying it was unlikely to happen because the GPU was too complicated to emulate, or something like that?

Weren't a few people on here from Sony saying it was unlikely to happen because the GPU was too complicated to emulate, or something like that?

.::: Then again Sony has back-pedalled on its own quotes soooooooooooooo many times now, that you might as well use a fruit-machine to compose their next statement.

"Cherry Bar Orange" for instance, sounds as authentic as yesterday's Qore press release.

Weren't a few people on here saying it was unlikely to happen because the GPU was too complicated to emulate, or something like that?

The PS2 GPU apparently has more fill rate (or something like that) than the PS3 GPU. It could mean that some games will never work.

The PS2 GPU was a demented, unholy creation with bizzarely high specs in some regards (a 2,560-bit data bus? Whuh?) and terrible specs in others (4MB of VRAM LOL). So it might be a bitch to emulate using tech developed by sane minds.

The PS2 GPU was a demented, unholy creation with bizzarely high specs in some regards (a 2,560-bit data bus? Whuh?) and terrible specs in others (4MB of VRAM LOL). So it might be a bitch to emulate using tech developed by sane minds.

.::: Ehr... are you suggesting the PS3 is technically... sane?

Comparatively- after all, IBM were involved enough to keep things sane. Emulating the Emotion Engine and it's VUs would probably take up a lot of Cell horsepower, so you'd need to emulate the GPU via the existing nVidea chipset, at a guess, which would, natch, be a pain in the arse.

I swear to god I would wank over my PS3 so hard if it got some form of BC. I have a PS2, a chipped one at that, but the drive on it is so fussy I think I would have to open it up and lick out the lens with great fevour and might to get it to read a game the first 10 times I put it in. Upscaled FFXII would finally be mine too. PLEASE FUCKING PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN

In my humble opinion FFXII looks gash on PS3 - it seems to accentuate the jaggies and the whole thing looks kind of grainy. Sorry.

Both God of War titles look awesome though. Particularly the second.

I swear to god I would wank over my PS3 so hard if it got some form of BC. I have a PS2, a chipped one at that, but the drive on it is so fussy I think I would have to open it up and lick out the lens with great fevour and might to get it to read a game the first 10 times I put it in. Upscaled FFXII would finally be mine too. PLEASE FUCKING PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN
In my humble opinion FFXII looks gash on PS3 - it seems to accentuate the jaggies and the whole thing looks kind of grainy. Sorry.

Both God of War titles look awesome though. Particularly the second.

I've got agree on this as well.

None of the games I tested (FFX, DQVIII, ICO, SotC, MGS3) looked better on the PS3 so reverted back to playing them on the PS2.

European PSN content is up.

Trailers

Top Spin 3

Resident Evil 5

Demos

Battlefield: Bad Company

Dragonball Z

Add-on Content

Guitar Hero 3 Motorhead pack

Guitar Hero 3 God Of War Theme

Toy Home Second Gear pack

Full Games

Rainbow Six PS1

Killzone Liberation PSP

A mixed bag for this week.

I remember this being hilariously god-awful. The crouching animation is one frame!

They justify it by calling it a celebration of 10 years of Tom Clancy video games. Apart from the fact that they are wrong about the 10 years, it is one of the worst games to bear his name.

Really? May get that PS2 laser sorted then

Believe me, I really wanted them to look better and I tried with all the different PS3 settings (720p, 1080i, Smoothing On/Off, Fullscreen, etc) but none of them looked as good as my PS2 via component.

Maybe my plasma's scaler is just better than the PS3's.