IGNORED

A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

Finally gave in and bought one, with God of War 3. Which is heading to eBay.

What exclusive (got all the good multiplatforms on the 360) games are worth checking out?

I've got:

Valkyria Chronicles

Ratchet and Clank

FFXIII

Going to grab the Pixel Junkie games from online, plus maybe Flower & Wipeout HD. What else is good?

I'm in the same boat. I've bought Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD from PSN and they're both great. Stardust is maybe a bit redundant if you have Geometry Wars on the 360/Wii though as they're quite similar. Not sure if there's a demo you could try first.

God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 are the only disc games I've tried so far. Uncharted 2 is great. It's like a mix of Prince of Persia and Gears of War.

Finally gave in and bought one, with God of War 3. Which is heading to eBay.

What exclusive (got all the good multiplatforms on the 360) games are worth checking out?

I've got:

Valkyria Chronicles

Ratchet and Clank

FFXIII

Going to grab the Pixel Junkie games from online, plus maybe Flower & Wipeout HD. What else is good?

Zen Pinball, the Mega Mans and get PixelJunk Shooter first! Also good Kula World (PS One) and Shatter.

Oh and what's your PSN id? :wub:

:P

I've got a launch US 60GB. It's 100% backwards compatible, a feature which I actually make use of all the time. God, if it died I don't think there's any other way to play all PS2 games upscaled is there??

I've decided the best PS3 to get's a Japanese one. As the games are all region free that's not an issue and because of the movie region-coding a Japanese one will play all UK DVD's as well as Japanese DVD's,plus all Japanese and US blu-rays. Seems like an almost perfick solution.

I hadn't realised those original Japanese PS3s were so compatible with everything. Any way to buy one?

Also, the PS3 is only region free for PS3 games.

:D true only to some extent.

I bought Uncharted 2 via Amazon UK & now find myself unable to play the 2 new maps DL'ed AND PAID FOR from the Benelux store!

Emailed PS Store-support and they told me: we will not refund or transfer your rights to DL this again to a UK account you should have created beforehand :)

Apparently, somewhere deep down in the accompanying text about the map pack, there is a mention of a certain serial code (on the ribbon of the physical disc) which needed to be something like "BCAS" in order for the download to work! :) Never heard of that, and it's a very nasty surprise! Posted this in the UC2 thread too, since it could be quite annoying for others

For anyone that cares, it would seem Sony are patching out the Other OS option in the next firmware update. I'd say the writing's been on the wall for the feature since the "PS3 is hacked! (but not really)" kerfuffle, so I can't say this comes as a great surprise.

Whilst I'm indifferent to the removal, it's a pretty terrible way to announce the decision. Don't throw it out there on its own for a minority to obsess over, mention it as an aside alongside something positive that more people will care about. Surely that's PR 101?

:D true only to some extent.

I bought Uncharted 2 via Amazon UK & now find myself unable to play the 2 new maps DL'ed AND PAID FOR from the Benelux store!

Emailed PS Store-support and they told me: we will not refund or transfer your rights to DL this again to a UK account you should have created beforehand :)

Apparently, somewhere deep down in the accompanying text about the map pack, there is a mention of a certain serial code (on the ribbon of the physical disc) which needed to be something like "BCAS" in order for the download to work! :) Never heard of that, and it's a very nasty surprise! Posted this in the UC2 thread too, since it could be quite annoying for others

Yeah, I forgot about that. Even if a game is region free, there will still likely be a different version for each region with its own product code. This means that saves and DLC are specific to each region version. It can also apply for different delivery methods as well. The save file from a Burnout Paradise PSN download doesn't work with the Burnout Paradise BR.

I'm sure I also read that some foreign games don't have code for outputting in PAL SD, which puts me off importing until I get an HDTV.

I'm sure I also read that some foreign games don't have code for outputting in PAL SD, which puts me off importing until I get an HDTV.

Some PAL games I own won't play on an SDTV using my US PS3, I've not heard it the other way round before but I guess I've never tested it. I've loaned my friend some of my games to play using:

US game --> PAL PS3 --> SDTV

and he has a lot of my US PSN games that haven't given any problems AFAIK, but I haven't done an exhaustive test. Plus, I've only ever known him play FIFA, World Snooker Championship and Super Stardust so he maybe hasn't tried anything else yet :/

For anyone that cares, it would seem Sony are patching out the Other OS option in the next firmware update. I'd say the writing's been on the wall for the feature since the "PS3 is hacked! (but not really)" kerfuffle, so I can't say this comes as a great surprise.

Whilst I'm indifferent to the removal, it's a pretty terrible way to announce the decision. Don't throw it out there on its own for a minority to obsess over, mention it as an aside alongside something positive that more people will care about. Surely that's PR 101?

I am slightly confused as to how they can be allowed to do this and am quite surprised it's not caused much of an uproar. Whilst I've not made use of it, I've often thought about dabbling with it.

As someone pointed out on Kotaku, this was touted as a feature when the console was sold so how can they justify retrospectively removing that feature without any form of compensation?

Cheers,

Ryan

The first question is was it really intended as a selling point to the average consumer? No, not really. It has applications in server farms, but those users won't be playing games so won't need to update.

The second question is, are Sony allowed to modify or remove features subject to their whims? I'm pretty sure there are clauses stating they can.

If you think it's cuntery from Sony will depend on your position. Sony are right to use piracy and hacking to defend the removal of the feature, because thats exactly what its used for by many people. Being able to rip bd's using linux on the console was one thing, the risk of it being used to implement proper hacking is quite another

I'm not condoning Sony's actions but from my limited knowledge of the OtherOS option it does appear that pretty much no-one gave a monkeys about the Linux option till this was announced and now the internet is full of people claiming it to be a terrible loss.

And don't the slim models already have this option removed anyway?

Personally, I've never used it, and never planned to either, but I'm interested to know if anyone here used it and if so, was it worth the effort?

cubik

I used it when my PC died and I couldn't afford another for a while. Just stuck Yellow Dog Linux on there and soon I had Firefox (much better than the shitty browser in the XMB), MSN, VLC to play non HD video files and stuff. It used a wireless keyboard and mouse fine and was a great way to get by until I got another PC

Shame that its being taken out

I'm not condoning Sony's actions but from my limited knowledge of the OtherOS option it does appear that pretty much no-one gave a monkeys about the Linux option till this was announced and now the internet is full of people claiming it to be a terrible loss.

pretty much. People who tried it moaned because of the limited access to the graphics chip, so it wasn't ever fully open anyway.

You're right that the slim doesn't even have the option to install.

Personally, I've never used it, and never planned to either, but I'm interested to know if anyone here used it and if so, was it worth the effort?

cubik

Exactly. All overblown nonsense. Those 10 Linux geeks that actually make full use of it will have to get a real PC and install on that for a change.

I am slightly confused as to how they can be allowed to do this and am quite surprised it's not caused much of an uproar. Whilst I've not made use of it, I've often thought about dabbling with it.

As someone pointed out on Kotaku, this was touted as a feature when the console was sold so how can they justify retrospectively removing that feature without any form of compensation?

Cheers,

Ryan

Well, it's not like this is the first time they pull off such a stunt. :hmm:

FirstPlay hits PSN next week

The first episode of the PSN episodic interactive show, FirstPlay, will be on the PS Store next Thursday, April 8, Future Publishing and Sony have confirmed.

The weekly UK-only digi show will feature high-definition video reviews and previews, exclusive downloadable content and other goodies. It'll cost 99p per episode or £8.99 per 90 days.

The first episode will feature a Just Cause 2 review, along with an exclusive in-game item to use when you get the game. It's also got God of War 3 gameplay footage and a first-look at EA's Fifa World Cup 2010. There will be screens for Formula One 2010, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Red Dead Redemption, and wallpaper for your XMB too.

Tim Clark, Editor-in-Chief of FirstPlay, said: "We're tremendously excited to be finally launching FirstPlay, and to be bringing our brand of editorial direct to PS3 owners on their consoles. It will be an evolving service, but our focus will always be showing gamers the most exciting things on PlayStation systems."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241022

Will owners of the non-slim version have more usable memory for game data ie installation, videos, game saves etc once the Other OS option is removed :)

It's not clear. It just says that you won't be able to access the data.

I can't remember if the ps3 will do partitioning work that simply deletes the other partition and merges the space into the main one. Such a function could be achieved via the installation process I guess. Anyone who will update but currently uses the partition should probably do a full backup