A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

The YLOD only affects the European 60GB model, as far as I'm aware; presumably the first generation of overseas hardware is also affected, although I don't know for sure. Given those were discontinued back in 2007 I suppose it isn't seen as a big enough issue to take the financial hit of out of warranty repairs.

Whilst the 3 year warranty on the 360 is great, you have to remember that only came about after around 2 years of Microsoft denying the RROD problem even existed, and that was a far more prevalent issue. Should Sony repair 60GB machines for free as a sign of goodwill? I think so. But I'm not exactly surprised they don't.

you still get our rights as a consumer in the UK, if a PS3 breaks after 13 months you should get a replacement/ free repair.

first contact the retailer

you still get our rights as a consumer in the UK, if a PS3 breaks after 13 months you should get a replacement/ free repair.

first contact the retailer

Well, yes, Sales of Goods and all that. Unfortunately I bought mind off eBay. Saved me £125 at the time.

So does anyone play Buzz? I've eventually managed to pick it up for a decent price but would be nice to get a 'muk quiz going one night.

Bit late here, but yes! Do you have Quiz World (newer, better) or Quiz TV? 8-player online on Quiz World is all kinds of great.

Today's update...

Special Offers

(Available until the 29th of April)

* Gravity Crash (was – £6.29/€7.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)

* Prince of Persia Classic (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)

* Thexder Neo (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)

* Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X – US Eagles Pack (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

* Shaun White’s Snowboarding – Hard Pack (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £2.39/€2.99)

* James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game (PSP) (was – £23.99/€29.99 now – £15.99/€19.99)

* Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (PSP) (was – £11.99/€14.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)

* SEGA Mega Drive Collection (PSP) (was – £11.99/€14.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)

* Astonishia Story (PSP) (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £3.99/€4.99)

* Street Riders (PSP) (was – £15.99/€19.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)

* Dracula - Undead Awakening (mini) (was – £3.99/€4.99 now – £1.99/€2.49)

Permanent Price Reductions

* Trine (was – £11.99/€14.99 now – £7.99/€9.99)

* Red Faction: Guerilla – Demons of the Badlands (was – £7.99/€9.99 now – £6.29/€7.99)

* Saints Row 2 – Ultor Exposed (was – £6.29/€7.99 now – £3.19/€3.99)

Downloadable Games

* Final Fight: Double Impact (£7.99/€9.99) Rating: PEGI 16

Availability: All locales

* Section 8 (£19.99/€24.99) Rating: PEGI 16

minis

* Forest Puzzle (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 7

Availability: Not available in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.

* Hysteria Project (£1.19/€1.49) Rating: PEGI 7

* Monopoly (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 3

Availability: Only available in France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain and United Kingdom

* Stellar Attack (£3.49/€3.99) Rating: PEGI 3

* Freekscape: Escape from Hell (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 12

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/04/15/...5th-april-2010/

More at the link.

:facepalm:

I can't open that link at work, was Sam & Max not supposed to come out today?

It is due out today.

Trial and Unlock

* Sam and Max – The Devil’s Playhouse Episode 1: The Penal Zone (trial free, unlock key for the full season £19.99/€24.99) Rating: PEGI 12

As well as a PSOne game some people might be interested in.

PSOne (emulated for PS3 and PSP)

* Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (£3.99/€4.99) Rating: PEGI 12

Nope, DLC too, but at £15 each they can shove it up their arse. I'll go and get the disk.

£14, which is pretty much the real world equivalent of the 1600MSP they cost on Live. Not that I'm chomping at the bit to buy them, but the pricing doesn't seem particularly unfair.

Incidentally Store updates are being moved to Wednesday from next month. Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to put things up a bit earlier in the day, too.

£14, which is pretty much the real world equivalent of the 1600MSP they cost on Live. Not that I'm chomping at the bit to buy them, but the pricing doesn't seem particularly unfair.

Incidentally Store updates are being moved to Wednesday from next month. Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to put things up a bit earlier in the day, too.

Fair enough, I was just comparing it to £25 from Game for the disk version.

Link here if anyone wants to buy

It is due out today.

Sweet. Played the first one on 360 and thought it was just alright, but I'm finding a curously strong urge to give them another chance. Jake did mention on Idle Thumbs that the PS3 versions were the best ones in terms of performance so it should be better on that front as it did detract a little from the season I played.

Anyone know what the Final Fight/Other thing is like?

I bought it yesterday for my 360 and it is the new standard in how to present older games. The monitor filter is amazing, it truly looks like a CRT monitor. The second game, Magic Sword, is a very entertaining side scrolling fighter with light fantasy trappings.

I just bought a broken PS3.. I'm a programmer and wanted a PS3 for Linux - it's running 3.15 firmware, it's a 60GB PAL model.

My existing PS3 will therefore have it's firmware upgraded soon so I can actually play games again.

However, anyone know anywhere I can get my 'new' PS3 repaired?

I bought it yesterday for my 360 and it is the new standard in how to present older games. The monitor filter is amazing, it truly looks like a CRT monitor. The second game, Magic Sword, is a very entertaining side scrolling fighter with light fantasy trappings.

Do you get unlimited credits?

Do you get unlimited credits?

Yes, the game has its own system of achievements too. Things like completing the game in less than 18 credits or finishing a level in a set time. These unlock artwork -some of it it is scary fan art- and even an episode of a Street Fighter cartoon featuring Final Fight characters. There is online co-op too.

Soldner X:2 has been unveiled, and it looks like bullet hell fans will be all over it. The video on the Playstation site makes it look a step up from the first in every regard, and despite limping through it on beginner, I really enjoyed the first:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/14/...-to-psn-in-may/

Talk of a more adaptive difficulty curve is encouraging, and it's out in May.

Soldner X:2 has been unveiled, and it looks like bullet hell fans will be all over it. The video on the Playstation site makes it look a step up from the first in every regard, and despite limping through it on beginner, I really enjoyed the first:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/14/...-to-psn-in-may/

Talk of a more adaptive difficulty curve is encouraging, and it's out in May.

My major beef with the first one was that when you were fully tooled up you were pretty much invicible, so to counter this the devs stuck in sections that had loads of annoying little intricate structures you had to fly through where one mistake pretty much meant insta-death as you got stuck in the scenery. Then you respawned with bugger all weapons and got eaten alive.

Funky music though, the whole game had a real Amiga vibe.

My major beef with the first one was that when you were fully tooled up you were pretty much invicible, so to counter this the devs stuck in sections that had loads of annoying little intricate structures you had to fly through where one mistake pretty much meant insta-death as you got stuck in the scenery. Then you respawned with bugger all weapons and got eaten alive.

Funky music though, the whole game had a real Amiga vibe.

True facts, that.

On the few occasions I did get fully tooled up, it was a pure delight ripping through waves of enemies. I think it was level 5 that was set above a city, and that was pure bullet hell win. As you say though, the sections which forced you to navigate a tiny corridor were awful, and yeah, I often got snarled up in the scenery for instadeath fun. It's certainly one of the biggest things they need to fix with the sequel.

I've been hunting for Quiz World for ages. Everywhere seems to be out of stock :-(

Definitely worth hunting down as it's much better than Quiz TV, customisable rounds and 8-player online being the best improvements.

My main problem with Soldner-X was that it's just like a crappy Euro Amiga shmup - naff weapons, levels lasting for days etc.