A thread for PS3 owners Here

Hello Goaty ♥

I thought cross game chat had been confirmed as being pretty much impossible to implement on the PS3, as in not every game could support it or something and therefore they wouldn't do it.

I may be wrong on that though.

It does seem like that's the case, if it is I wish they'd come out and admit it officially because they must realise it's a stick to beat them with at the moment.

Has anyone been checking out Sony's E3 booth in Home? I know I haven't but I almost want to. True story.

I was minutes away from clicking the icon earlier but I watched Breaking Bad instead. I might have a look later, or maybe tomorrow night when I've had a drink if it's still 'open'. Having said that, 90% of the conference made my spirit weep so that + Home is almost too grim to contemplate.

(just going by the information here on what PSN+ provides)

I think it's really interesting that Sony is charging $49 a year for a service in which one of the key selling points is that it enables automatic firmware and software updates. It's again reinforcing the image of Sony as a hardware manufacturer with little understanding of what is really important to consumers of home consoles.

I'm reasonably critical of XBL and the 360's dashboard, but one thing that Microsoft do really really well is to hide all the underlying system and software complexity from the consumer. On 360, the consumer just sees an occasional, very quick, notification that software has been downloaded, is applying an update, and will restart the console. 2 minutes and it's done, the appliance is back up and running.

If Sony thinks that the average consumer even knows what Firmware actually is, or is willing to pay (a chunk of) $49 a year for it to be automatically updated (rather than clicking through a couple of menus when notified of an update), then I'd question their understanding of the market and their customers.

Fixing a clumsy and inconvenient software update system, and then charging for it as a value added service, is a bit short sighted IMO.

The Dave Perry bit.

Thanks, that's interesting, and I think we've all seen some examples of this in recent years with the move towards F2P and micro-transaction-funded games.

I still don't think Sony are that cunning though. XMB still feels like it was designed, built, and shipped, by an engineering team without the involvement of a single interface usability designer or the guidance of any overarching product or systems architecture.

Thanks, that's interesting, and I think we've all seen some examples of this in recent years with the move towards F2P and micro-transaction-funded games.

I still don't think Sony are that cunning though. XMB still feels like it was designed, built, and shipped, by an engineering team without the involvement of a single interface usability designer or the guidance of any overarching product or systems architecture.

Yeah, I agree that it seems unlikely, but hey, we've seen weirder stuff happen. In any case, also read the China treasure chest bit. It's insane.

What if PSN+ is not simply aimed at the PS3, what if Sony want PSN+ subscribers to come in from their Blu-ray players and TVs on smart phones etc.?

I haven't really thought that through, it just popped into my head just then so be gentle if I just missed a giant flaw.

Looking at the Playstation Plus video on the playstation store, they are touting

* £200 worth of free content each year

PSN Gamess, minis, PS games,DLC, Avatars, Dynamic Themes

* Playstation Store discounts

* Early Access to demos & beta trials

* Try full games for an hour free

* Automatic Downloading for everything, not just firmware

It's going to be great when people pay and set their PS3s to update at 2am, then the firmware goes live at 8am and they have to do it themselves anyway.

Unless it's a firmware that forces you to update, then it would just download it at 2am the following morning.

Either way, Sony hasn't put you into the position where you have to sub in order to get the same things you already have so its just optional added value.

I feel that as long as you're subscribed to Plus your PS3 should come with a Sony warranty. I'm not too bothered about the other stuff — I'd use it, but not currently interested in the necessary outlay — but an extended warranty scheme would sweeten the deal immensely, especially for 60GB owners.

If anyone with a UK account is interested in the service, I suggest you look into buying PSN cards. I'm not sure if there are any great deals anywhere at the moment, but as an example you could grab two £20 codes from ShopTo for £35 and Zavvi often cut a couple of quid off theirs, too.

So I received a lovely whisper quiet PS3 slim for Father's Day and have transferred the data from my phat. I'm in the process of doing a System Restore (Full) which is taking 14 hours to complete! Will it be safe to sell on the machine after that? Quite nervous about people accessing the content as it had family vids etc.

So I received a lovely whisper quiet PS3 slim for Father's Day and have transferred the data from my phat. I'm in the process of doing a System Restore (Full) which is taking 14 hours to complete! Will it be safe to sell on the machine after that? Quite nervous about people accessing the content as it had family vids etc.

Id hook it back up and do a format mate just to make sure.

No the Full Restore did indeed take 14 hours. Started last night and has just finished. I just restarted it and it seems completely stripped. No accounts or content of any kind. It does state that the Quick restore isn't secure so I'm fairly confident that this is a comprehensive wipe.

I wonder if the fourteen hours must have been spent rewriting to the disc multiple times to securely wipe it.

Quick question my ps3 has died so can I transfer the HDD to a new one and all my saves, login details be there correct?.

Nope; the HDD can only be accessed via that PS3 :lol:

My fat PS3 died and I bought a slim on the forum. Not sure what to with my old one now.