IGNORED

Ugly Betty

smithem

It's brilliant. Every episode is pure fun from start to finish, and it should be a massive hit. It's certainly much, much better than Desperate Housewives.

And the gay nephew steals every single scene he's in. He's probably the best character to have come out of US television this season, and considering we have Hiro and Dexter, that's saying something.

• 4 weeks later...

In anticipation for the UK release, I've watched the first three episodes, and I've got to say I really enjoyed it. Fun characters, silly plot, and just generally amusing. Perhaps a little too warm and fuzzy at times, but all is forgiven thanks to Manny Calavera being Betty's father.Well, his voice actor at least

I have amazing flashbacks to the game every time he speaks, which just adds an extra layer of joy for me :wub:

I watched the first episode with the Missus a couple of nights ago, found it dull and predictable. Didn't bother with episode two, which was on later the same night. As much as I hated Ali McBeal it had much more going for it than this rubbish.

She's really not ugly at all is she.

Damn right. When I first heard about this I thought perhaps she'd have some major facial disfigurment, birthmarks, that sort of thing, but just saw her on the telly and it's daft, she looks okay. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but isn't it beyond the wit of US TV producers to find someone genuinely pig-ugly? I'm sick of 'ugly' in America being a good-looking woman wearing glasses, slouching, being a bit clumsy and all the while totally loveable.

Missed opportunity/10

this is shite! really bad.

It's really predictable, cliched stuff, isn't it?

I'm not writing it off totally, it's ok to veg out in front of if you've got nothing better to do, but it's no Sex & the City.

Considering the quality of television these days this show is really grating - the characters are like cartoon characters , it's jarringly unbelievable.

Damn right. When I first heard about this I thought perhaps she'd have some major facial disfigurment, birthmarks, that sort of thing, but just saw her on the telly and it's daft, she looks okay. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but isn't it beyond the wit of US TV producers to find someone genuinely pig-ugly? I'm sick of 'ugly' in America being a good-looking woman wearing glasses, slouching, being a bit clumsy and all the while totally loveable.

Missed opportunity/10

Agreed. Typical Hollywood tosh: take a pretty actress and render her "ugly" by making her wear a gobful of braces and glasses.

Take off the glasses and braces - she still wouldn't be amazing looking.

I think it's great by the way, really over the top, predictable stuff with really high, movie like production values. I'm sure there's a lot of a twists to be had.

I thought it was all right, a few nice moments - I liked the bit in the photo shoot when the boss realised how much of a twat he was being. Yes it was predictable (it was a pilot after all) and certainly enough to actually watch the next couple of eps.

Isn't it because at some point in the future the braces and glasses will come off, and she'll suddenly become popular, get a hunky guy on her arm, etc, and we'll all be sat thinking, "What a great lesson they just taught us, i'll never judge someone on their appearance again!"

Isn't it because at some point in the future the braces and glasses will come off, and she'll suddenly become popular, get a hunky guy on her arm, etc, and we'll all be sat thinking, "What a great lesson they just taught us, i'll never judge someone on their appearance again!"

"we're all beautiful inside"

It was ... ok.

It all just seems so, predictable. I guess the show sort of writes it's self, its a familiar formula, it just a (slightly) different format.

Pretty unimpressed really, might watch the next episode to see if it picks up, cant say I think it will though.