Wii HDTV performance

Sigourney Beaver

I don't know if this will take off as a thread, but it might be of some help to those of us who have Wii's and are yet to purchase HDTVs.

Chicknstu's thread here gave me the idea that if everyone posted information about their Wii/HDTV setup and what it performs like, it would help those of us, like me, yet to go HD.

So, if you post the make, model and size of your LCD/plasma and whether you're using composite, RGB SCART or component and then mention whether you're getting any lag with the pointer and whether pointing at the centre of the screen with the Wiimote actually puts the pointer there, like in Chicknstu's problem. Image quality info would be nice too.

So does 50hz give you a clearer picture over composite? I've never even contemplated using 50hz since the Dreamcast.

Trying not to derail the thread, but...

yeah it seems to, 60Hz over composite on my 40" Samsung looks AWFUL.

Anyway...

40" Samsung LCD

Composite

No noticable lag.

Wii menu system looks much better than I expected, and Wii Sports isn't bad either.

CoD3 however, looks pretty rough.

Component cable should be arriving any day now, so will post again, maybe even take a couple of comparison shots.

Guest alisdair

It's weird. My mate's PAL Wii looks gash at 60Hz, fine at 50Hz. My US Wii looks fine (at 60Hz, obviously): about as good as his was at 50Hz. No idea why there's the difference.

This is on a Samsung 26" LCD, with the composite cables.

On my 32" Panasonic LCD, composite at 576i 50Hz looks surprisingly good, with far less colour bleed and bluring than other consoles through composite. The cursor position is higher than where I'm pointing the remote by about a third of the screen height.

Putting the Wii to 480i 60Hz turns it into a complete mess, even as far as to make some of the text on the big, chunky menus unreadable. Hopefully, the component cables will arrive this week, so I can test 480p.

From playing with the screen setting last night, I realised that the Wii doesn't have a selectable PAL60 mode. It's either PAL (576i 50Hz) or NTSC (480i 60Hz), so if you want the faster refresh rate, you have to lose the extra resolution. I've yet to test my GC games, but does the Wii still play them in PAL60?

Oh man, after trying 60Hz again on my Samsung LCD it appears there is insanely bad lag through 50Hz. So no wonder it looks much better in 50Hz, there's probably a lot of picture processing go on in the background.

I just thought the lag was a Wii thing and I had gotten used to it. It's far better in 60Hz though, the pointer is far easier to use without that horrid lag.

Now I either have to put up with the awful picture in 60Hz with no lag, or the slightly less shit picture in 50Hz with lag. Gawd, why couldn't they just ship over some component cables ffs <_<

From playing with the screen setting last night, I realised that the Wii doesn't have a selectable PAL60 mode. It's either PAL (576i 50Hz) or NTSC (480i 60Hz), so if you want the faster refresh rate, you have to lose the extra resolution

PAL 60 is 480 lines though so you wouldn't get any extra resolution it's just the colour encoding that differs from NTSC 60.

Which is probably why people are moaning about it looking so bad. NTSC is horrible for colour (probably because they spell it color <_<).

iScan vp50 scaler into a Panasonic 42" PHD8 plasma

composite for now (576i)

very slight lag on pointer but direction is ok. Sensor bar is above screen.

Picture quality reasonable considering.

fwiw, a friend's older SD plasma had a much worse picture but more responsive and "positive" pointer motion. This was still on 576i / 50

It's weird. My mate's PAL Wii looks gash at 60Hz, fine at 50Hz. My US Wii looks fine (at 60Hz, obviously): about as good as his was at 50Hz. No idea why there's the difference.

My guess is the US Wii uses a different DAC to the PAL Wii.

Now I either have to put up with the awful picture in 60Hz with no lag, or the slightly less shit picture in 50Hz with lag. Gawd, why couldn't they just ship over some component cables ffs :)

Oh god, see what you mean. I had 576i before - looked OK but I hadn't realised quite how laggy the controller was till I switched to 480i. Looks like shit mind.

Seems promising that component will fix the lag though.

Why does anyone think there is a link between HDTV's (let alone what cables are in use) and lag on the Wii pointer?

Surely the room for error lies with everyones setting up on the sensor bar and light sources in the room etc. Everyones room is different and maybe thats why we are seeing these light lags (that people claim).

Anyway, 20" Sony LCD, Component - no lag and looks beautiful! If it matters...

Samsung 32 inch LCD (the older one as per the xbox demopods, but bigger), no lag as far as I can tell, curser points at the middle of the screen when you sight it like a gun at the centre. Composite cables, 50htz mode.

This exact setup, only I have quite noticeable lag on the pointer movement. As per previous suggestions, switching over to 60hz helps a lot but looks awful even with my glasses off.

The de-interlacing performed by these panels is slow across the board. My dvd player only outputs progressive scan on Region 1 dvds and, when watching a Region 2 movie, the sound is ever-so-slightly out of synch with the picture; this is through component.

I've had the wii mainly setup through composite on a CRT and it looks fine.

I tried it by component on my 26" dell HD LCD and it didn't look that much nicer to be fair. It got a lot better after I messed around with the settings on the TV. Didn't notice any lag but only had it on there for 20 minutes or so of monkey ball.

I was planning to move the wii permanently to the LCD when I got bored of the sports games and didn't have guests round playing and hence needing more space.

Neither of those events have happened yet.