IGNORED

Wii component cable stock

sid

I've got a PF3. She's a 36" lovely old girl who is going nowhere even if she doesn't run 50hz VC games in Prog Scan <_< I've always got the TV's internal Prog Scan output which compensates for it.

That's not the TV's fault. The console changes it's output to 576i on my 50Hz VC games. I heard that some PCEngine games are ok, not tried that yet. But Mario64 and Sonic both change to 576i whatever the console is set to.

I've got a PF3. She's a 36" lovely old girl who is going nowhere even if she doesn't run 50hz VC games in Prog Scan <_< I've always got the TV's internal Prog Scan output which compensates for it.

PF3? Hang on... Ah, looks like that's mine too, even though I thought it was a PF2! It's a 36ZP48 anyway (tv twin!). Thank goodness for 100hz anyway - at least the 576i will be RGB sharp with a component I guess.

Did you pay for quick postage?

I opted for the cheapest one and it took 3 weeks to arrive, though admittedly it was just before xmas.

That was during the time that the Wii launched, what did you expect realistically? Now the christmas rush has calm down, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Play Asia are normally very quick any way

Just got back from York and the Virgin store there had component cables out on the shelves,

not official Nintendo cables, Blaze ones (I've used Blaze cables on both Xbox and the 360 with no issues)

All the other stores I went in could still not give any definite date for official ones.

Are the official cables actually better than the third party ones then?

I was wondering that too. I think it's pretty well known that Nintendo did some kind of trickery with the Gamecube RGB cable that meant it was the only one that could properly do RGB, but afaik Component is Component & you can't mess with it. It either works or it dosent.

I'm using the Game Cable on a Samsung LCD in 480p & Zelda looks great, but there is the occasional blurriness on some textures or distant objects. Since everything looks so good generally though, I'm pretty sure this is just the limitations of the way the game was designed showing through.

All I can report is what I personally found, so please don’t take this as gospel people!

TV: Samsung 26” LCD @ 480p

Game lead: TV settings to default, very odd colour bleed on Zelda and awful blurry textures. When you aim with the sling slot Link’s features were akin to an N64 game and the overall effect was very annoying. Movement resulted in a mass of colour bleed and almost total loss of texture detail. Other Wii games (Monkey Ball, Rabbids, Sports and Play) looked good, but the strange colour bleed was still present. I did mess around with the tv settings for hours but no luck making it go away.

Game suggested I try another cable and that one was worse, while VC (Gunstar, Mario 64, Donkey Kong) games looked alright but not as good as the ones on my “special” Xbox (Advanced scart lead to same telly) where as Mario 64 looked no clearer than on my Japanese N64 (custom scart lead to same telly)

Nintendo lead: TV settings to default and already the Wii menu is much brighter with a crisp sharpness and very oddly the Wiimote seems to be more responsive. All the Wii games look perfect with no colour bleed and Zelda just looks like a different game to me - very sharp, clear and it feels as if the draw distance is greater because the blurry effect has completely gone. VC games are now pixel perfect.

Maybe I was just unlucky and had two duff Game leads in a row or maybe the Nintendo one does have some secret super wire that gives it the colour edge?

I don't have a clue about this sort of thing but the guys over at AV foums were very helpful with colour settings and the like when I was trying to fix it and am very happy with the Offical cable results.

All the same, playing new Zelda on any lead was a pleasure but now it’s like Christmas all over again!

Now then, when’s the VGA lead out? :P

Loads of Nintendo ones in the two Game stores in the Metro centre today - looks a hell of a lot better then the Game one I had and they exchanged it for the full ammount so a good turnout all round.

any sign of the wii itself in the metro today?

Filled with false hope with all this crazy talk of being able to walk in shops and buy cables I've trekked round Bromley yet again, not a whiff of an official cable anywhere. :P

Some Blaze ones in Virgin was as close as I got.

We've got two branches of GAME in Bromley and they are both shit.

Clearly this is all the fault of the people posting in this thread.

I don't think it uses gold contacts, I also don't think it matters.

Anyway, some FUN look;

I tried to take the same picture with frankly not a very good camera of the Start page for Zelda on composite, MadKatz component and Nintendo component cables, see if you can guess which is which in this pic (warning: it's quite big so I've stuck a (still quite big) thumbnail in here

zelda_thumb.png

A caveat: the moire pattern visible on all 3 sections to a greater or lesser extent is something my camera created, it's not visible when looking at the plasma. Pic was taken from about 1.5 feet.