Mix Club 2007

Sounds good lfj. My only critism would be that giving feedback 'by the end of the month' might be a little difficult for some people. I know this might sound contradictory to my campaign for compulsory feedback but if you don't receive a disc until late in the month, there isn't always time to listen and take notes.

I'm sure you wouldn't be so harsh as to punish anybody who says in the thread that they have recieved a disc but not had chance to listen to it yet, so this probably isn't an issue. It's those that just say nothing that need to be weeded out.

Here are my thoughts...

1) Feedback is mandatory. The first cd club mix I did received no feedback and as an introduction to the whole thing, it did leave me feeling a bit like 'what was the point of that'. I stuck with it though and obviously it's great, but it would be a shame to lose other contributors in similar circumstances. Even if people totally slate your stuff, it's interesting.

2) No set themes. Pointlessly restrictive.

3) One cd maximum, no time limit. Two is too many for feedback.

And that's it really.

I only joined in a few times last year but the rules were quite restrictive on how the mix was delivered. Not that I'm tight, or lazy, but I know that I'd prefer to download a bunch of MP3s so I can quickly slot them in itunes and in turn onto my ipod. Otherwise I'd have to rip the CD back to MP3, which takes the quality of the music down ever further.

Or if the CD thing is still wanted, maybe just bung a load of mp3s on the CD as data, that way I can add em to itunes easily.

Maybe there could be a way of adding a preference when you join. I can't be the only person who'd prefer it this way round can I?

I only joined in a few times last year but the rules were quite restrictive on how the mix was delivered. Not that I'm tight, or lazy, but I know that I'd prefer to download a bunch of MP3s so I can quickly slot them in itunes and in turn onto my ipod. Otherwise I'd have to rip the CD back to MP3, which takes the quality of the music down ever further.

Surely this reduction in quality is negligible? One of the best things about the mix club is it's tangible quality.

Yeah, why not? If you want in the mix club, you should at least listen to the CD and post something about it. Otherwise don't take part.

Hear hear!

I love getting these cd's but I always feel that I dont have "new" music to send to folk, I never know if Im just tolerated or if anyone likes my cd's - this is not a dig at wiper (i dont know if he liked it or not) btw, just an observation from ages back - which I why I stopped taking part for a year becuase I felt my cd's werent what ppl wanted. I dont really know what to do tbh, I want to carry on taking part but I just dont have some of the new and interesting stuff that others have.

Ah, apologies, your CD hadn't arrived as of this monday, and I'm now away from home, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it :(

I promise I'll leave feedback when I've had the chance, I totally understand how important it is to receive it - and it really doesn't matter if you don't have 'new and interesting stuff' - even if you aren't up on all the newest music, there's a wealth of great music around that I'm sure you know of, and if people don't share your tastes then it's a pity for them, but you can guarantee that some people will appreciate some of the tracks you leave (well, that's my reasoning for the crap I put in my anyhow!).

Of course, I'll take this all back when I receive your mix CD and discover it contains purely Mr Blobby remixes :(

Surely this reduction in quality is negligible? One of the best things about the mix club is it's tangible quality.

Aye - plus if you're really worried about quality loss you could use Exact Audio Copy at lossless, which should result in files with no further corruption at all.

Mmm, but sadly (for you, at least) most people seem to prefer having a physical CD. Particularly those who like to listen to their music in their cars etc., and lack MP3 players.

Hell, even I like receiving them as CD's (makes them more 'real'), and I tend to listen to them once as a CD, before ripping them to my PC (always maintaining their structure, mind. Wouldn't be much of a mix if I broke it up!).

You can always ask that whoever gets you transfers it to you electronically if they can, but it's unlikely to become the standard approach for the club methinks.