The Snowboarding/Skiing Thread

Fusty Gusset

Ooh, that's the place where I usually go.

Where exactly? Champéry? Les Crosets? Morgins?

Don't miss "Chez Coquoz", a very good restaurant on the slopes with one of the best swiss wines menu ever.

Despite my other destinations being in Switzerland, this time it will be in France. The chalet we'll be staying in is in Seytroux (near St Jean d'Aulps), so unfortantly not on the slopes, but for only £40 for the week in half time I'm very happy. We'll have the car, which slopes do you recommend? The long run behind Pointe de Ripaille looks like a must. We're going to do Chamonix for a day as well.

Average skiier, but difficult to know, only had one day on snow in last 15 years. I was ok on the Red runs last year.

Hmmm.

The red slope behind Ripailles is nice mainly for two things : the scenery (you end the course through the forest on a road) and Chez Marius, a bar famous because Marius (the owner) was sentenced years ago for doing the peeping tom in the women's lavatory.

The blue one starting at "col des portes du soleil" and arriving in Morgins is also nice, especially when there is lots of snow. Freeride ahoy, and not too difficult.

Lingua is cool too.

A bit harder, the "Super Noires" (black ones starting near "Les Hauts forts" and arriving at Les Prodains) are great. Managable for you I think).

And you need to take a look at the top of "Le Pas de Chavannette" (Black slope behind Pointe des mossettes on the plan). The start of the slope is a bit scary... It's called "The Swiss Wall" for a reason.

IMG_4386_2.jpg

Chavanette_small.jpg

Hmmm.

The red slope behind Ripailles is nice mainly for two things : the scenery (you end the course through the forest on a road) and Chez Marius, a bar famous because Marius (the owner) was sentenced years ago for doing the peeping tom in the women's lavatory.

The blue one starting at "col des portes du soleil" and arriving in Morgins is also nice, especially when there is lots of snow. Freeride ahoy, and not too difficult.

Lingua is cool too.

A bit harder, the "Super Noires" (black ones starting near "Les Hauts forts" and arriving at Les Prodains) are great. Managable for you I think).

And you need to take a look at the top of "Le Pas de Chavannette" (Black slope behind Pointe des mossettes on the plan). The start of the slope is a bit scary... It's called "The Swiss Wall" for a reason.

IMG_4386_2.jpg

Chavanette_small.jpg

Thanks, I'll be sure to give those a try and possibly the Swiss Wall on the last day!

But first Saas Fee in Janaury.

• 1 month later...

hey all, hope last year was as good for you as me! Didn't manage my 360 grab at Tignes (was posting as shift last year), but had ana amazing time in the board parks and on the lovely long runs. Absolutely amazing trip, took on a lot of new challenges and i'm dying to get back out this year to push it once more.

this year our gang are planning on a february trip to lake tahoe or vail. Who's been? Looks fantastic out there in yankeeville, bit more money than the alps though! But the possibility of all those ski bunnies on spring break has got us excited! :) But yeah looks pricey and i am supposed to be emigrating (down under) in spring, so will be a push to make it anywhere this year. Oh poor me huh? Between a rock and a hard place!

this year our gang are planning on a february trip to lake tahoe or vail. Who's been? Looks fantastic out there in yankeeville, bit more money than the alps though! But the possibility of all those ski bunnies on spring break has got us excited! :( But yeah looks pricey and i am supposed to be emigrating (down under) in spring, so will be a push to make it anywhere this year. Oh poor me huh? Between a rock and a hard place!

Both are awesome.... have you considered whistler instead though? Given that spring break is march/april, you may struggle a bit to find those college spring break bunnies in tahoe or vail in feb :P

If you're set on the states, I would recommend Vail over CA personally. But if it were me I'd go to Canada. Immense. Jaw droppingly so. And if you're into heli, there's nowhere accessible on the planet that compares.

Both are awesome.... have you considered whistler instead though? Given that spring break is march/april, you may struggle a bit to find those college spring break bunnies in tahoe or vail in feb :(

If you're set on the states, I would recommend Vail over CA personally. But if it were me I'd go to Canada. Immense. Jaw droppingly so. And if you're into heli, there's nowhere accessible on the planet that compares.

Tahoe and Whistler are sublime.

I'm counting the days.

I'm off to Val Thorens in January (i've been before though). Full report please!

Right, back today, had a great time, the weather was generally great, it dumped on the first day, which was useful, the three days after that were bright blue skies and great riding, unfortunately the two days following we were unable to ride at all due to high winds, all the lifts were closed :)

We managed to get two free days on our lift passes however, not sure when I'll be able to use them.

The riding was pretty fun, appart from a few flat sections which I found annoying as I was with Skiiers who didn't have any trouble with that. On the third and fourth days there were some pretty icy sections on some of the steeper runs. There was loads of powder slightly off piste if you went looking for it and the snow park was fun, although the queues were pretty big.

Off to Chamonix in a month - can't wait!

Andy

It's dumped loads in Whistler over the last week or so. I so wish I was going this year. Next year, for sure.

Going there in March, am starting to get excited now, got all my clothing gear for Christmas.

Have only been once before in France, am hearing great things about Whistler.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a trip to Val Thorens snowboarding for me and 3 mates in Feb - can't bloody wait! It's been 6yrs since I last boarded.

Now just have to count the days :)

EDIT: I have some old kit which I'm not sure is worth taking, inc a Salamon board (nice at the time, 8yrs ago) and some Shimano clicker boots/bindings.

Should I bother or just hire new gear?

If the boots fit, and they're standard step-ins, I'd bring them but leave the rest. Boards have come on in leaps and bounds the last few years: yours will seem pretty heavy and clunky by comparison.

Boots that fit nicely are a godsend though, no matter how old.

Oakley do prescription lenses for theirs so you don't need top wear glasses. Buy those.

Yeah I've seen those (well, prescription lenses, not Oakley in particular) but it seems like rather a large outlay for something that I'm only going to use for 10 days, and then never again for the foreseeable future!