Ronin has just started

Art Vandelay

been meaning to watch this for a while, the past few times it was on tv i'd always come in half way through or so. I didn't mean to watch tonight but after the first 10 minutes I was hooked. The last part after the shootout in the outdoor theatre/collisseum thing dragged on a bit though.

As you say, some nice driving scenes

...nice name btw

I think it's brilliant, and contains one fantastic car chase that is like the pre-cum of quite literally the biggest ejaculation of loud engine noises and smash ups in cinema history. Ignore what the 'Bullet' people will tell you, this is fucking incredible.

Let's watch

Sorry, you are wrong. It contains 2 fantastic car chases! And yeh, it beats the crap out of Bullit and French Connection for vehicular pursuit based entertainment :P

Great film, it comes across as a great homage to 70's thrillers.

The second one is better I reckon. It's just relentlessly amazing. My ears prick up within the first 15 minutes when they ask what cars they'll need. "Something fast. Audi RS8's" or something like that. That's what is amazing about the film, it's so understated for an action movie. You don't often see a Citroen, Merc and Audi haring around a mountain ridge near Nice.

• 11 years later...

Arise!

For any fans of this film, I noticed in HMV over the weekend that a company called Arrow Head has re-released this film on Blu Ray and treated it to a new restoration at 4K which was supervised by the director of photography, Robert Fraisse.

Also, the brilliant packaging of the Blu Ray has taken me back to when DVD's were at their height, great book included with insights from the team and brilliant new artwork where you took pride in the Film you picked up. Noticed ArrowHead are restoring new movies and picked up The Thing whilst I was there. :wub:

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/ronin-blu-ray/FCD1547

iirc the car chase, apart from being great from purely a stunt perspective , was pretty groundbreaking at the time in that it was one of, if not the first, to have the stunt driver controlling the car from a special rig on the roof and the actor sat inside pretending to drive the car. 

I mean, De Niro was still capable of acting like he gave a shit back then but his genuinely terrified face as he took part in the car chase is probably the main reason that it sticks in your mind. 

4 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

iirc the car chase, apart from being great from purely a stunt perspective , was pretty groundbreaking at the time in that it was one of, if not the first, to have the stunt driver controlling the car from a special rig on the roof and the actor sat inside pretending to drive the car. 

I mean, De Niro was still capable of acting like he gave a shit back then but his genuinely terrified face as he took part in the car chase is probably the main reason that it sticks in your mind. 

Haha, so true. The concentration on his face - I was convinced he was driving. He looked like me playing Burnout.

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Maybe we will finally get to find out what colour the boatshed at Hearford is.

The Bean not having the guts to tell DiNero how to pronounce Hereford. FFS. :seanr: 

I'm properly obsessed with that scene. I like to bark 'Ambush? I ambushed you with a cup of coffee' at people when giving them coffee. Nobody gets it.