Games that never arrived

Asura

Now that we're coming to the end of the last-gen, I think it's now safe to think about the games that we were promised/ were rumoured about that never actually came out on this gen.

The main one I'm thinking about is the supposed real-time FFVII demo that was shown for the PS2. Do we all remember that? People at one point were soooo certain Square would make a full PS2 version of FFVII. We can be pretty sure now that it's not happening.

Anyone got any interesting ones?

A little off-topic, but if Deathtank never gets released on Live or a similar format I will be very disappointed.

Shenmue III. I'm slowly coming to accept that this will never happen. If Mr Sega is listening though a manga series would be quite cool, just to tie up the plot.

Now that we're coming to the end of the last-gen, I think it's now safe to think about the games that we were promised/ were rumoured about that never actually came out on this gen.

The main one I'm thinking about is the supposed real-time FFVII demo that was shown for the PS2. Do we all remember that? People at one point were soooo certain Square would make a full PS2 version of FFVII. We can be pretty sure now that it's not happening.

Anyone got any interesting ones?

It was a real-time version of the 'dance' scene in FFVIII. It was merely a tech demo.

Aye. They never said there would be a ps2 VII remake, and they keep denying there will be one for ps3/psp/any other system.

I'm still waiting on Starfox 2 for the SNES. I'm starting to think it's never going to be released now though...

As it was apparently 99% complete, I'm sure they can shove it on Virtual Console for muchos profitos

HARVEST MOON MAGIC MELODY FOR THE GAMECUBE PLEASE

HM: Sprite Station for the DS would also be nice.

Even if they are being localised by the fucking atrocious Rising Star. :ph34r:

Freeloader and import it, you dozy get. <_<

Worth it - best 'traditional' Harvest Moon yet, pretty much (for my sins, I loved A Wonderful Life).

Freeloader and import it, you dozy get. :ph34r:

Worth it - best 'traditional' Harvest Moon yet, pretty much (for my sins, I loved A Wonderful Life).

AWL had its good points.

I would import it (you're looking at a STH, HMGBC3 and HM64 owner here) but there are a few file-killing bugs in the NTSC version, and they're not even that hard to encounter. The second Rising Star drop the titles, I'll be the first in the import queue. At the front. In a tent.

I might just import Sprite Station though... y'know, before the new HMDS is released! <_<

There was a PS1 game with a guy with a katana and a dog that was part of the games puzzles, called Saboteur I believe. Was quite near the end of the PS1s lifespan, heard it had been turned into a PS2 project. It looked really good as well.

saboteur.gif

:P

j/k!

saboteur_hir_02.jpg

Is that the one where you could verbally command the dog?

What the hell is the deal with Duke Nukem Forever? I don't read games mags much so I hadn't even thought about it for about five years, until I saw that screenshot on the previous page. How on earth can any studio afford to take 10 years to develop a game? And according to the wikipedia page it is still in production with a team of over 20 working on it? Is the whole thing a big joke or what?

What the hell is the deal with Duke Nukem Forever? I don't read games mags much so I hadn't even thought about it for about five years, until I saw that screenshot on the previous page. How on earth can any studio afford to take 10 years to develop a game? And according to the wikipedia page it is still in production with a team of over 20 working on it? Is the whole thing a big joke or what?

Prey took 10 years, but that actually got a release.

I think after they changed engine for the 4th time for DNF, they gave up caring

That I could understand, if it wasn't for the fact they had a team working on it all this time (and still do) and someone called Broussard or something keeps talking about it like its a going concern.

Ive been searching around a bit and there don't seem to have been any screenshots released since 1999?

Prey took 10 years, but that actually got a release.

It didn't really though. The final game that came out called Prey bore little resemblence to the original screens. I'm pretty sure that no content over 2 years old made it into the final game, save for the name, logo and basic premise.

DS & PSP versions - canned

DS version:

black-white-creatures-20050518021257528.jpg

I'd love that, it's a wonderful idea and suits the DS perfectly.

saboteur_hir_02.jpg

Is that the one where you could verbally command the dog?

That's the one! There was something I found really interesting about that game, shame it never got released :P