IGNORED

Games that never arrived

Asura

A game i wished came out, and i bet Activision do too now, is Dead Rush.

Basically take Dead Rising, ditch the mall, replace it with a city, add in some GTA car theft and you have dead rising. Announced at E3 2004 and canned months later. Was meant to be quite close to completion too.

That looks excellent, great concept, just what Resi always needed really.

Metal Gear Solid - Sega Saturn

metalgearbetalpha3.jpg

:D:):o:o

Edge 126 had a feature about promising looking canned games. The list includes (accompanied by edited snippets from the mag);

Internal Affairs (2000-2001) - a stylised, hand-drawn looking PC game. An episodic game which involved tracking down terrorists in a 12-mission character-based driving and action game.

Indestructibles (1995 - 1999) - Design your own supehero - follow path of good or evil game. Development by Bullfrog, but inspired by Peter Molyneux's concept known as My Incredible Superhero Team (MIST). A virtual gamesmaster would have set missions on the fly for players to complete. Difficult concept, and even more difficult under EA's standards once they took over Bullfrog.

Perfect 10 (2001 -2002) For the DC. Influenced by Crazy Taxi, and sharing a similar, but even more colorful graphical style, this game was bidded as pulling birds in a beachside town. Each girl you pulled was rated, and you had to pull the perfect 10 (top-rated girl) by improve your fashion sense, car, driving skills etc.

Arena (1998 - 1999. For PC. Developed by crappy carmageddon team, the graphics looking good at the time. The game was about Roman gladitorial combat. An innovative feature at the time would have been manipulating the muslces and movements of the warriors, rather than pressing buttons to generate end results.

Stampede! (1998 - 1999). For DC. I love the concept of this game! This game, much like perfect 10, has a similar graphical style to crazy taxi. It is a herding game. The only picture in the Edge magazine is of some ostriches at a beach side. Main reason for being canned was due to endless internal reshuffling at developers Infogrames.

Other titles include the already mentioned Take The Bullet (1998-2000), which IP has been sold to Dundee-based developer Visual Science (who is not currently working on the project); Exo the only canned game to appear on the cover of Edge, and with a noirish tone was considered to be the Halo of ps2 (the colorless style reminds me a bit of what Killzone became); Call Of The Dragonfly for xbox, among others.

The PC game 'Prey' is also listed, which had a lifespan dating back to 1995.

As for the Gamecube, during the consoles development stages, Ive never seen so many game screenshots emerge in magazines, that never made it into games;

Meowths Party

Stage Debut

Raven Blade

A Pamela Anderson Game

A Game about theft (forgotten its name but think it began with the letter 'P')

Kameo

and many more which I cannot think of. They were all in old issues of NOM mags which ive chucked away.

What about the GameCube/Xbox versions of Perfect Dark Zero? This thread is about games that never came out last gen; doesn't mean they can't have arrived later than that. :)

I was quite looking forward to a game called Picassio. It was an art heist game I think, you were meant to steal paintings and stuff. Quite an interesting concept I thought.

I was also looking forward to the Dreamcast version of that. I also remember a Tron-like game called "Dronez" previewed in one of the final issue of Sega Saturn magazine, a couple of months before the DC's Japanese launch in 1998.
I remember Take the Bullet!

That too!

I was also looking forward to the Dreamcast version of that. I also remember a Tron-like game called "Dronez" previewed in one of the final issue of Sega Saturn magazine, a couple of months before the DC's Japanese launch in 1998.

Strangely Dronez went on to be released only on the Xbox and only in Japan.

What's happened to Starcraft Ghost? Officially canned or secretly being moved to Wii?

Officially on "indefinite hold".

It's a weird one - it started off as Splinter Cell in space with lovely graphics, ended up as some kind of mental shooter with piss-poor graphics, got traded between two or three different developers and finally was shot in the head by Blizzard.

Probably for the best.

Ah my one was Raven Blade as well, 'It wanted to make martial arts feel real" and used the mysterious "Wavebird" controller, before anyone knew what a Wavebird was.

What about Mario 128? I remember Nintendo mentioned it was a different project to Mario Galaxy in Edge magazine. They mentioned it was shelved for a while, so we'll probably see it come out on the format after Wii, given their track record.

Indestructibles (1995 - 1999) - Design your own supehero - follow path of good or evil game. Development by Bullfrog, but inspired by Peter Molyneux's concept known as My Incredible Superhero Team (MIST). A virtual gamesmaster would have set missions on the fly for players to complete. Difficult concept, and even more difficult under EA's standards once they took over Bullfrog.

I still have a design doc for Indestructibles round here somewhere. Probably shouldn't have left the building... I'm not sure I agree with the write-up, though. Molyneux was gone long before Indies took off. The aim was to balance out a superpower system and a living world for it to work in. They got in a pro comic artist to look at animated Batman-style graphics and lighting before cel-shading appeared. Syndicate style, and pre-GTA, Jez and co were going to make sure you could have a city to play in freely. I remember playing an Alex Trowers card-game to balance stats and Glen C coming up with a 3D football game / physics test that involved using your superpowers to shunt his famously knackered old car into the net.

EA's marketing bods couldn't see any value in it -- surely they should be buying superhero licences, rather than inventing them and selling them? -- and canned it.

What about Mario 128? I remember Nintendo mentioned it was a different project to Mario Galaxy in Edge magazine. They mentioned it was shelved for a while, so we'll probably see it come out on the format after Wii, given their track record.

Blatant vapourware, a tech demo that never became anything more.

Miyamoto won't shut up about it. It seems to be more of a collection of ideas then a specific game in its own right

Of course the worst part about all of this is there are MANY MANY MANY games that were canned that people wont know about unless they worked for the developer or publisher at the time. And because all of them are under NDA's most people will never know about their fav franchises getting a possible update that was canned.

For example a next gen version of Syndicate has been made a couple of times but always been canned. Its never been mentioned officially but a number of EA employees have mentioned its existance.