Games that never arrived

Asura

Of course the worst part about all of this is there are MANY MANY MANY games that were canned that people wont know about unless they worked for the developer or publisher at the time. And because all of them are under NDA's most people will never know about their fav franchises getting a possible update that was canned.

For example a next gen version of Syndicate has been made a couple of times but always been canned. Its never been mentioned officially but a number of EA employees have mentioned its existance.

Mercenries started out as a new Desert Strike game. EA wasn't happy with it, so they got rid of the helicopter and went over to Lucasarts.

No, sorry, you're talking shit.

"Some have also suggested that high production costs and internal development problems also contributed to its cancellation. Additionally, several concepts have been reused in Star Fox Command for the Nintendo DS — among these are the map screen gameplay element and the ability to choose from multiple characters, each with their own fighters and statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_2 plus ive read simular in many mags.

Of course the worst part about all of this is there are MANY MANY MANY games that were canned that people wont know about unless they worked for the developer or publisher at the time. And because all of them are under NDA's most people will never know about their fav franchises getting a possible update that was canned.

This is such a true statement.

For example, Outrun 2000 was in development for the Dreamcast, as I'm the only one that ever told anyone about its existance it's not documented in history as part of the series. :ph34r:

Eventually it became Outrun 2 so it's not exactly unreleased.

For example a next gen version of Syndicate has been made a couple of times but always been canned. Its never been mentioned officially but a number of EA employees have mentioned its existance.

More of this pls

Well blow me down. Did it move particularly well?

I wonder if maybe it just wouldn't fit on one cart.

I played it for a few minutes. It was awful. I remember the controls being especially awful. And the atmosphere was as deep as you'd expect from five colours, ten pixels, and ping-pang music.

A ridiculous port that removed any trace of fun or feeling.

And Urban Decay - I remember really looking forward to that after a lovely edge preview. Anyone remember which issue/year that was roughly?

Hrafn - I keep meaning to play Alien Breed (there was a pretty decent Team 17 retrospective in an old edition of GamesTM) but weren't the best ones Amiga only? I don't suppose you've got any suggestions for any other versions that might be hunt-down-able on ebay...? I heard the PS version was a bit rubbish.

That Balder's Gate engine version looks like a modern day Alien Syndrome. Tasty.

Retro Gamer had a brilliant article on Sonic Xtreme a few months ago. Apparently it was started from scratch three times - they started using the NiGHTS engine but Yuki Naka said "no!".

Weird physics and perspective FTW!

"Some have also suggested that high production costs and internal development problems also contributed to its cancellation. Additionally, several concepts have been reused in Star Fox Command for the Nintendo DS — among these are the map screen gameplay element and the ability to choose from multiple characters, each with their own fighters and statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_2 plus ive read simular in many mags.

many mags != truth, and a small number of 'concepts' being re-used is hardly 'Pretty much everything' being moved from the snes one. Nintendo should definitely bring StarFox 2 to the VC. It'd be a great added bonus, and it's totally possible.

Other titles include the already mentioned Take The Bullet (1998-2000), which IP has been sold to Dundee-based developer Visual Science (who is not currently working on the project); Exo the only canned game to appear on the cover of Edge, and with a noirish tone was considered to be the Halo of ps2

Didn't Ocean's Dreadnaught (control a victorian aircraft carrier/ tank on mars) appear on an Edge cover as well?

edit: unless that's the same game...

That Sonic Xtreme looks really impressive for the Saturn, but I can see why they canned it. It's basically nothing like Sonic, which you can tell by the fact that it's not even remotely fast.

I mean, say what you like about the newer games (like: "they're shit") but at least they fulfil the basic requirement of a Sonic game - that they're fast (the Sonic bits anyway).

I've played a few canned games at trade shows over the years. Propeller Arena (Dreamcast), Diddy Kong Pilot (which originally used a tilt sensor) and Lamgorghini (Rage's Xbox racer) spring to mind.

Rage were also working on an SAS game. I think Andy McNab was helping them with it:

423_2_s.jpg

What about that....Was it Mike Singleton game for the PS2 I think, that was going to let you fly all over the world on some superfast highway above the ground?

Or was it Jon Ritman?

G-Surfers? It came out...as a Midas budget game.

Edge gave it 6/10, then gave Wipeout Fusion 5/10. The developers were apparently really chuffed.