Games that never arrived

Asura

Didn't Ocean's Dreadnaught (control a victorian aircraft carrier/ tank on mars) appear on an Edge cover as well?

edit: unless that's the same game...

Dreadnought was indeed a different game. Full title was Dreadnought: HMS Carnage.

There are some renders and a little bit of info here.

And yes, by the looks of it, it did make an Edge cover.

Mags_-_Edge_32.jpg

More info and a bigger version of the cover image

I'm still not convinced that ever actually existed on normal GBC hardware in playable form. I think it was always mockups.

My big brother worked on graphics for GBC Resi. The way he tells it is that Nintendo themselves ended up buying the rights to the "3D engine" they had it running on for some first party title that never surfaced. They made more money selling the code to Ninty than they would have if the game had got a release.

As for it not fitting on the cartridge, it was going to be the biggest cart ever, but they got it to fit.

Interesting aside....as a proof of concept for the "3D engine" they had fully working versions of Doom and Duke Nukem running on the GBC too, but the respective license owners weren't interested.

My big brother worked on graphics for GBC Resi. The way he tells it is that Nintendo themselves ended up buying the rights to the "3D engine" they had it running on for some first party title that never surfaced. They made more money selling the code to Ninty than they would have if the game had got a release.

As for it not fitting on the cartridge, it was going to be the biggest cart ever, but they got it to fit.

Interesting aside....as a proof of concept for the "3D engine" they had fully working versions of Doom and Duke Nukem running on the GBC too, but the respective license owners weren't interested.

None of that is true is it?

I ported the quake 1 engine to the gbc but my dog ate it.

None of that is true is it?

I have only the word of my brother (who now works on el cheapo DS games for the US market), but I swear on my copy of Gitaroo Man that's what he told me. It was a Sheffield based devco working on it, but I've no idea what they were called. As I recall he said they shut down after getting the Ninty payoff.

EDIT: To be fair to him, I don't know why he'd have bigged up the story for my benefit. I wasn't particularly into games at the time and he's never been....it was just an anecdote he told me over the dinner table.

I have only the word of my brother (who now works on el cheapo DS games for the US market), but I swear on my copy of Gitaroo Man that's what he told me. It was a Sheffield based devco working on it, but I've no idea what they were called. As I recall he said they shut down after getting the Ninty payoff.

EDIT: To be fair to him, I don't know why he'd have bigged up the story for my benefit. I wasn't particularly into games at the time and he's never been....it was just an anecdote he told me over the dinner table.

Fluid Studios. Nintendo didn't pay them anything as far as I know.

He's never been into games? :D

Fluid Studios. Nintendo didn't pay them anything as far as I know.

Fairy snuff. I've always wondered how much of the story was as he told it to me.....Sadly I've never seen the alleged doom/duke nukem demos, but he claims to have a bunch of rom dumps. I'll have to see what I can weedle out of him next time I see him.

He's never been into games?

Nah, he's a painter. He currently does graphics for nasty licenses of board games IIRC. There's not much money in painting unless you're Banksy these days :D

Apparantly Duke Nukem is still in the works. The site says so at least. Even though the FAQ doesn't go anywhere beyond the E3 2001 video. But the online community seems to be quite busy with daily posting still going on.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the guy in charge of Nukem said that since Prey proved to be successful (the words of 3D realms) then it bought them another 10 years development time on Duke Nukem Forever. Now the guy was probably joking but then again...... :D

I'm sure the quote came from the guy via the Vapourware Top Ten 2006 by slashdot.

Retro Gamer had a brilliant article on Sonic Xtreme a few months ago. Apparently it was started from scratch three times - they started using the NiGHTS engine but Yuki Naka said "no!".

A playable demo of this surfaced and was sold on the net about a year back. Was supposed to be getting dumped or copied for sale but never surfaced again as far as I know.

Propeller Arena (Dreamcast)

Great game.

Of course the worst part about all of this is there are MANY MANY MANY games that were canned that people wont know about unless they worked for the developer or publisher at the time. And because all of them are under NDA's most people will never know about their fav franchises getting a possible update that was canned.

For example a next gen version of Syndicate has been made a couple of times but always been canned. Its never been mentioned officially but a number of EA employees have mentioned its existance.

I'm not really quite sure how the worst part of all this is the fact that people won't know about things that are never going to happen. There's a lot of things that are never going to happen about that I don't know about, and I get by somehow.

As for Duke Nukem Forever, I can't remember the exact story but I'm pretty sure that the gist of it is that they're all rich, they've got no need to ever actually release the game, and they're just having fun with it. Kieron knows more about it.

Does anyone recall an XBOX game called Strident? I remember getting in quite a fluster about it's arrival at the time but like all the things I love it was ripped away :D

That actually reminds of the original Xbox tech demo, with the girl and robot. Was there any connection?

• 4 months later...