IGNORED

Early beta screenshots/videos which differ to the final product

Simmy

The Resi's are quite notorius for being scrapped halfway along.

Also there is the n64 build of Resident Evil 0. The footage I've found of the train looks quite good actually compared to the GC build

edit: Argh you bastards! you all posted about Resi while I was finding videos :)

How about the Resident Evil they had planned for the N64 too?

5.jpg

That turned into RE Zero, didn't it?

It was Re0 on the cube too, they just moved platform

Can't find any really early Max Payne shots but it looks way different to even the 99 version. Looks more like a third person Turok, still with cops and such. If that makes any sense.

I remember the early versions of Starcraft. It used the same graphical style as Warcraft II. Lots of bright purples and smiley cartoon aliens.

earlyalpha6.jpgbeta20.jpg

I'm sure I have seen this for download somewhere

How about the Resident Evil they had planned for the N64 too?

That turned into RE Zero, didn't it?

Yeah it was. Pretty much the same game, just looked better I think.

It's mad how far in they got with 1.5, and then thought sod it, let's start again. Anyone know why that actually happened, what was so wrong with it?

Same happened with 4, didn't it? From what was shown of the original build, with the castle and the whole darkness 'thing' following Leon around.

Can't complain though, 'cos RE4 is one of the greatest games of this (last?) gen.

There were 4 versions of RE4 according to an interview in Edge.

Id love to play resi 1.5 and resi 4 original version

it looked tops

There was a really interesting article/video on IGN about early RE4 versions, but I can't for the life of me find it now... oh well.

When I was young and Banjo-Kazooie had given me some kind of sickly-sweet adventure-game / Rare obsession, I couldn't wait to play Conker's Quest / Twelve Tales: Conker 64... It looked so unbelievably happy! Sadly, it was scrapped when it was practically finished (I think) because it was thought that there were too many "me-too" Mario 64 rip-offs around - BK and DK64 included of course! I did like Conker: BFD when it eventually came out, but still, some nights I still dream...

twelvetales1.jpg

twelvetales5.jpg

twelvetales3.jpg

twelvetales7.jpg

Screenshots

Videos

Does this mean I'm gay?

Aliens: Colonial Marines is a jarring case- the screenshots were great, and, y'know, actually quite indicitive of the actual game. But they clearly sacrificed everything they could to get it looking that pretty, like animation, combat, AI...

I guess the shakeycam E3 2001 video might still be about, I might look for it.

There were 4 versions of RE4 according to an interview in Edge.

Jupz, the one in this thread with the mansion and the ghosts and the darkness is the third one that was a bit traditional. Supposedly they tried a totally new direction at first but then decided that it was too radical a departure and that project eventually became Devil May Cry. The second version has never been seen to my knowledge, but it was speculated that it became PN03. It may be the "snowy castle" version mentioned earlier in this thread which I have never seen or heard of. The third version was seen to be too similar to the older games and they felt they had backtracked too far and it would not be the revival of the franchise they had envisioned since the start of the project. Then they settled on the final version.

I think PN03 was something to do with Devil May Cry or vice versa.

When I first saw it, it had guns in it. Infact it wasn't until the game was on it's way over to me that I found out they had removed the guns and made lasers come out of her hands. Shit.

re4 looking kind of like silent hill

can't find the old trailer that was in a snowy version of the castle, and had what i seem to recall was a different version of that ghost/monster thing with kind of hook/chain deal, though

Woah, I've *never* seen that video before! I remember the old hook-hand one where it was all creepy black smoke but that's completely new to me. Bizarre.

- that's the early RE4 I remember.

Oh, and I had seen the hook-hand one before, only in this more montagey setting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmX7K5qcM48