IGNORED

Early beta screenshots/videos which differ to the final product

Simmy

Aliens: Colonial Marines is a jarring case- the screenshots were great, and, y'know, actually quite indicitive of the actual game. But they clearly sacrificed everything they could to get it looking that pretty, like animation, combat, AI...

I guess the shakeycam E3 2001 video might still be about, I might look for it.

Video on GameSpot

Woah, I've *never* seen that video before! I remember the old hook-hand one where it was all creepy black smoke but that's completely new to me. Bizarre.

- that's the early RE4 I remember.

Oh, and I had seen the hook-hand one before, only in this more montagey setting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmX7K5qcM48

Speaking as an old school Resi fan who didn't like Resi 4 (I know, I'm the only one) seeing the original intented version makes we weep a bit for what could have been. I didn't want Resi to change - I loved it the way it was :)

i had this sega tape from a magazine. it had sonic 2 featuring totally different levels in the chemical zone. Also had different levels of World of illusion.

People have done a ridiculous amount of research into the beta version of Sonic 2:

http://www.s2beta.com/

There's also a lot on the early versions of GoldenEye, although that site doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment.

One such instance i came across today, was Max Payne.

This trailer showcasing the game in 1999 differs so much from the final version graphically (shown here) that it's just not even the same game.

The train station scene looks quite similar, from what I remember of the game.

Speaking as an old school Resi fan who didn't like Resi 4 (I know, I'm the only one) seeing the original intented version makes we weep a bit for what could have been. I didn't want Resi to change - I loved it the way it was :)

Though you've doubtless been through the debate before, I don't understand how you could prefer the old control system to the new one. Then again, there are people here that want Leon to be able to strafe, so I guess you do always have to consider other opinions, regardless of how wrong you might think they are.

I think PN03 was something to do with Devil May Cry or vice versa.

When I first saw it, it had guns in it. Infact it wasn't until the game was on it's way over to me that I found out they had removed the guns and made lasers come out of her hands. Shit.

Nah, they were independent projects. DMC was originally Resident Evil 4, and the "real" Resident Evil 4 was part of the Capcom 5, but that's as close as they get. The guns version had an MGS2-style cover system, and a scope which explains why some of the enemies on the opening level are eight million miles away.

Strange one this, but on the first disc of FF7, the early cutscenes show cloud and the other characters in their low poly form, whilst later cutscenes halfway through the disc show them in their battle (high) polygon forms. Whys that?

My theory is that these were done either i)early or ii)at the end. If they were done early, then they had inferior tech, if at the end then it was a time issue. It's the more important cutscenes that use the better models, so there is some consistency either way. It could be that the low detail ones were place holders with some of them being replaced during development (like the one where they escape from Midgar on the highway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sucuxXU2U-g

Not very good quality and no sound but you get the idea. Personally I liked Wind Waker's graphic style.

That was never gonna be a Zelda game though was it - it was just a tech demo from Spaceworld.

The Resi's are quite notorius for being scrapped halfway along.

Also there is the n64 build of Resident Evil 0. The footage I've found of the train looks quite good actually compared to the GC build

edit: Argh you bastards! you all posted about Resi while I was finding videos :(

It was Re0 on the cube too, they just moved platform

Argh, same happened to me too. Started reading this on page 1 (obviously) and opened a new window to get some Res Evil 1.5 links and by the time I get to page 2 it's already covered. Fuckers!

I'd still like to play 1.5 and N64 0 though. Are the roms doing the rounds?

A bit about Resident Evil 1.5

It's mad how far in they got with 1.5, and then thought sod it, let's start again. Anyone know why that actually happened, what was so wrong with it?

Apparently it was just too similar to RE1.

Aha, I found that HL1 beta stuff, and better than images - it's videos.

I think the magazine screenies inferred that the weird fish creature actually flew.

Does anyone have Raising the Bar, the HL2 book which lists levels that were dropped? I'd be interested in knowing what's in it. The Antlion Nest, set to make a reappearance in EP2 was one, and there was a shipyard featured in Edges' preview which didn't make it, I think.

I really love this thread.

What about

, the game that became Star Fox Adventures, they shoehorned in Starfox in the role of Sabre, as the characters looked a bit like foxes and created a massively chopped game.

Oh God. I CRAVED that game so bad, I wish they hadn't made it Starfox-based. And shit.

That was never gonna be a Zelda game though was it - it was just a tech demo from Spaceworld.

Yeah I think you might be right now you mention it, but it didn't stop people complaining when Nintendo released a Zelda game with "kiddie" graphics.

I really love this thread.

What about

, the game that became Star Fox Adventures, they shoehorned in Starfox in the role of Sabre, as the characters looked a bit like foxes and created a massively chopped game.

I reckon they changed it to Starfox when they realised they'd ripped the idea from Digitiser.

Great thread, by the by. I, like millions of other billions, would love to see Resi 1.5 released.

Great thread, by the by. I, like millions of other billions, would love to see Resi 1.5 released.

I'd love to see it but it seems very unlikley now. If it was ever going to be officially released it would have been by now (given all the re-releases the original has had) and given Capcoms attitude towards leaks of these things it seems unlikley to turn up. Even if someone did get hold of it it probably wouldn't get dumped, given what happened when Resi Zero N64 version was found.

Someone got hold of a cart of it and talked about it a small amount on his messageboard. From what I remember he then got slapped in the face with so many NDAs and threats of lawsuits from Nintendo or Capcom (can't remember which) that he never wanted to risk talking about it or showing it to anyone ever again. So it's out there, in the hands of a collector who would probably dump it but even if he didn't I'm sure would happily show it to people and take pics and videos so we'd have more info on it that the few shots and the one video there are, but thanks to whichever one of them it was we'll never see anything more of it.

Someone got hold of a cart of it and talked about it a small amount on his messageboard. From what I remember he then got slapped in the face with so many NDAs and threats of lawsuits from Nintendo or Capcom (can't remember which) that he never wanted to risk talking about it or showing it to anyone ever again. So it's out there, in the hands of a collector who would probably dump it but even if he didn't I'm sure would happily show it to people and take pics and videos so we'd have more info on it that the few shots and the one video there are, but thanks to whichever one of them it was we'll never see anything more of it.

The worst thing about these stories is that these are the kind of people who, come 10 years after the product, will be the ones holding the only historical records of many games' development cycles, released or not, as opposed to the devcos/publishers who tend to bin everything rather thoughtlessly.

There was a really interesting article/video on IGN about early RE4 versions, but I can't for the life of me find it now... oh well.

When I was young and Banjo-Kazooie had given me some kind of sickly-sweet adventure-game / Rare obsession, I couldn't wait to play Conker's Quest / Twelve Tales: Conker 64... It looked so unbelievably happy! Sadly, it was scrapped when it was practically finished (I think) because it was thought that there were too many "me-too" Mario 64 rip-offs around - BK and DK64 included of course! I did like Conker: BFD when it eventually came out, but still, some nights I still dream...

(Pics)

Does this mean I'm gay?

Yes.

I saw a video for this at ECTS years ago and it was so over-the-top cute that I almost threw up. I mean I love cute games (I love all the games in that "cute games" thread for instance) but this one just took the piss. Anyway, there's a better page with Conker shots here: http://xoomer.alice.it/mononline/unseen/conker64.htm. What's interesting is to see characters and areas that clearly made it into the finished game, but vastly changed. Like this guy:

CONKER1.JPG

Or this bloke:

conker64_screen009.jpg

Same happened with 4, didn't it? From what was shown of the original build, with the castle and the whole darkness 'thing' following Leon around.

The first build was never properly shown, so that's likely a later build. The first build turned into what finished as the first Devil May Cry.