IGNORED

Pikmin Wii

sweetdaddyg

I kind of suspect Pikmin might be a bit redundant on the Wii. The main kind of point of the game was the application of RTS-style gameplay utilising regular game controller. However the Wii already has a perfect system in place to control RTSes, so I wonder if a Pikmin (in its current form anyway) would even be worth it.

I hated the underground pikmin levels, which made up much of the game. I want lush vegitation and a real garden type feel to the game. Not boring brown dungeons with fire in them.

Exactly. I hated pikmin 2 because of this, but the original is one of my favourite games ever.

Pikmin 2 was a better value package (Piklopedia!), but it had fewer puzzle elements than the original (there was more of a strategy to it in many places, rather than just "throw as many Pikmin at the enemies as you can") and it lost the whole emotional weight of the original as each day brought Olimar closer to death. I liked his diary entries in the original too, and it just seemed more charming. 2 was definitely more challenging though, so a mix of the two would be nice.

If it had online co-op I'd be in heaven. And the Wii remote works so well as a pointer that it's tailor-made for a game like Pikmin.

Pikmin on the Wii would be a bit shit. Assuming they basically made the same game but used the Wii Remote for control, it would be FAR too fiddly. The only fun the game would have would be hearing them through the speaker on the remote. Shortly before you threw it at a wall because you moved the remote 3 milimeters too far and failed to direct them the right way.

Pikmin on the Wii would be a bit shit. Assuming they basically made the same game but used the Wii Remote for control, it would be FAR too fiddly. The only fun the game would have would be hearing them through the speaker on the remote. Shortly before you threw it at a wall because you moved the remote 3 milimeters too far and failed to direct them the right way.

I own one.

I can just see it being tricky trying to move small things around like that. The wiiremote is great when it's used for things like Wii Sports or Even Zelda but fails when used on anything that requires precision. See: Red Steel.

I think the wiimote would be an ideal method for selecting and directing Pikmin, and a new Pikmin game on Wii would be a marriage made in heaven. The speed and precision of using the wiimote in stuff like the shooting games on Wii Play and Rayman put any of my doubts about accuracy and response times to rest - certainly when compared to using a stick (same's true in the shooty bits of Zelda). It's marvellously tactile too, of course, and if a new Pikkers were announced it'd immediately make the top of my 'must buy' list.

After the first two games (which I loved in different ways) I can't imagine Nintendo screwing up a Wii installment, and it would be a chance to bring this sort of strategy game to a wider audience (assuming the Wii takes off). Surely it has to be in development already?

I own one.

I can just see it being tricky trying to move small things around like that. The wiiremote is great when it's used for things like Wii Sports or Even Zelda but fails when used on anything that requires precision. See: Red Steel.

Zelda requires precision. More so than Pikmin in fact, which only ever required you to throw them roughly in the direction of the thing you want them to draw attention to.

I see no reason at all why it couldn't be brilliant.

As I recall, you control Olimar with the analogue stick, and the Pikmin with the C-Stick. Surely pointing the remote is going to be better than using that tiny yellow stick?

I think this is another thread which illustrates the increasingly marked polarisation of the forum. Tell me Rllmuk, what do you see?

409px-Glass-of-water.jpg

As I recall, you control Olimar with the analogue stick, and the Pikmin with the C-Stick. Surely pointing the remote is going to be better than using that tiny yellow stick?

I think this is another thread which illustrates the increasingly marked polarisation of the forum. Tell me Rllmuk, what do you see?

409px-Glass-of-water.jpg

.::: It's going to be fiddly to control if they simply transplant the GC controls into a Wii-configuration. But why on Earth would they do that? If Nintendo releases this I think you can be assured they'll twist the game around long enough to make the controls work.

There's no way it's not coming to the Wii. Miyamoto had already said the new controller (before it had been revealed) would work particulary well with it -I'd imagine he's had a little think about it.

.::: That begs the question where he has had a little think about it. A very crucial part of Miyamoto-design. :P

Zelda requires precision. More so than Pikmin in fact, which only ever required you to throw them roughly in the direction of the thing you want them to draw attention to.

That's not strictly true. Your pikmin were more effective being thrown directly on top of the creature you were killing than being thrown roughly at it, leaving them to run to it's side where they were more likely to be squashed/attacked, as well as dong less damage.

Even so, unless you're a bit cack-handed, the wii remote would easily offer enough precision to aim the cursor where you threw your pikmin for example.

Precisely. I don't believe for one second that Nintendo will tack the wii features on to what is ultimately the old system. They're going to put a lot more thought into the controls than that. Obviously, it's going to require a lot of new ideas and a lot of trial and error to see which of those ideas works best, but it's not as if they're going to rush the game out in a state of half-completion.

It'll be brilliant. I know it will.

I kind of suspect Pikmin might be a bit redundant on the Wii. The main kind of point of the game was the application of RTS-style gameplay utilising regular game controller. However the Wii already has a perfect system in place to control RTSes, so I wonder if a Pikmin (in its current form anyway) would even be worth it.

This is a bizarre piece of reasoning. The point of the game wasn't the control system. The control system was there to enable that style of game to work on a console. Now there's a better way to do that style of game, so it'll be even better.

Pikmin 2 was a great game, since it fixed the problems of the first one like giving you a limited number of days to complete the main quest. My girlfriend ran through the whole thing twice. The two-player versus mode was good fun too.

They have to make Pikmin Wii - think of the possibilities of WiiConnect24! I'd like to see a central garden area which grows in real time, so if you spend a couple of days away from the game, you will come back to a replenished pikmin stock and maybe some weird new artifact or creature.

Perhaps you could trade pikmins with your friends online to balance out your stock.

I can just see it being tricky trying to move small things around like that. The wiiremote is great when it's used for things like Wii Sports or Even Zelda but fails when used on anything that requires precision.

Elebits works just fine. And those little fellas are basically electric Pikmin.