IGNORED

Stampers Leave Rare

Super Craig

I don't think there is one. Rare was founded by the Stampers alone. They joined with a US biz guy to form Rare Coin-It.

Possibly this guy then, as the OP linked to 1UP (American, shite) rather than EG (British, not nearly as shite but still a bit shite sometimes). The EG article makes no mention of this over-credited third man, and damn bally right, I say!

Possibly this guy then, as the OP linked to 1UP (American, shite) rather than EG (British, not nearly as shite but still a bit shite sometimes). The EG article makes no mention of this over-credited third man, and damn bally right, I say!

They probably mean Joel Hochberg (the US biz guy). Although Tims wife Carole was a founder and shareholder too. She pretty much ran the company at the beginning.

Some left with them, but certainly not all.

Yep, and it wasn't only the work experience kid who stayed, either.

Sad, really, that the Goldeneye team have never matched their former effort, whether you're talking about the elements still present at Rare, or the ones at Free Radical.

Sad, really, that the Goldeneye team have never matched their former effort, whether you're talking about the elements still present at Rare, or the ones at Free Radical.

Yeah, pretty tough game to match though, let alone beat.

Personally I feel Rare did a better job with Perfect Dark than Free Radical ever managed with the three TimeSplitters games.

I always assumed that the bulk of Goldeneye's designers left, and the programming team stayed (not part of the team in my opinion, they mostly will just implement someone else's good ideas regardless of talent). This would explain how the engine was so amazingly well optimised and improved for PD, but the gameplay seemed to be pale and withered in comparison.

I did really end up hating Perfect Dark though. Possibly because I spent so long playing it.

These kind of posts really fucking irritate me. Elaborate!

It means "no, he didn't really design much/any/all of it".

:wub:

I've always thought that that was in part due to the nostalgia effect though, which is to say that the sheer sparkle of playing a game on a new format in a new way like that has a tendency to create a legendary feeling about a title in the minds of some. Basically I'm talking about the first time exposure effect, and it has a tendency to tarnish everything in the face of it.

(Awaits the inevitable 5 replies from the forumites who say they only bought GoldenEye 2 years ago and played it for the first time and even though they've played BF2 for yonks that it's still the greatest etc)

See also: Halo, Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64.

This is not to say that these are not quality games. They clearly are, but I'm just talking about the added distortion effect of new machine as well as new game.

What happened with viva pinata, its not really been popular has it?

I overheard someone commenting on it recently and they were saying

Has the marketing really been that bad?

It seems quite popular with friends (male and female). Purely anecdotal, but I'd say it probably did alright over Christmas. :wub:

This is so not news at all in fact it almost deserves a delorean

They left Rare years ago, I cant believe how uniformed gamers on the internet can be. They merely stayed on the payroll at Rare doing something like 1 days work per month through contractual obligations as part of MS original acquisition of the company from Nintendo.

Why do you think Rares output has been so shit since it was sold?

Simple answer the Stampers stopped working there and 'retired' when the company was sold.

-edit- Goldstar to A Hen. Must try harder for the rest of you....

I haven't seen Pinata advertised anywhere, do the masses even know what it is?

Its been advertised very heavily on the kids cable/sattellite channels; its a good advert too - shame it hasnt been used on the more mainstream channels.

It has been thrown in free with the 360 packs hasnt it? it must have sold some due to that, but I noticed a few on the pre-owned shelf already.

If it was advertised correctly it would do well, hasnt animal crossing on DS topped sales charts, and they are quite similar in concept? or am I confused?

This is so not news at all in fact it almost deserves a delorean

They left Rare years ago, I cant believe how uniformed gamers on the internet can be. They merely stayed on the payroll at Rare doing something like 1 days work per month through contractual obligations as part of MS original acquisition of the company from Nintendo.

Why do you think Rares output has been so shit since it was sold?

Simple answer the Stampers stopped working there and 'retired' when the company was sold.

-edit- Goldstar to A Hen. Must try harder for the rest of you....

If you'd ever worked there, and hadnt been "informed" by some posts you read on the internet...you'd know that 99% of what you just said is actually false.