Burnout Paradise

rubberducker

Been playing both this and Burnout Revenge on the Series X, whilst Paradise looks cleaner it's a significantly worse game than Revenge. As mentioned above the route finding during a race can be a real ball ache and you'll overshoot even when the map is familiar, losing you the race. At the time I remember not liking the open world and it hasn't aged well.

Revenge is glorious, though. Still plays amazingly and I'd really missed Crash mode - Revenge's Crash is the best in the series and just keeps getting sillier and more wanton as you progress, it's pure stupid fun and crazy addictive. Crashbreakers are a lovely addition and make up for the inevitable rubber-banding when you crash - a good way of balancing the races so you don't lose everything when you bail.

Paradise just removed all the great things from Revenge, it's a really weird game.

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

I know this sounds daft but... How do you all manage in this game without directions / line to follow during the races?

I am really struggling without it and haven't touched it after the first 30 minutes because of it. Any tips?

This is me too.

The handling model just doesn’t suit open world at all. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Been playing both this and Burnout Revenge on the Series X, whilst Paradise looks cleaner it's a significantly worse game than Revenge.

You’re wrong 😀, Paradise is one of the greatest racers of all time. However, I do think you had to be there on PS3/360 when the game was most active. Some Burnout fans could never accept it though due to the change in formula.

6 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

You’re wrong 😀, Paradise is one of the greatest racers of all time. However, I do think you had to be there on PS3/360 when the game was most active. Some Burnout fans could never accept it though due to the change in formula.

Agree back in the day it was awesome fun online.... Remember getting this back in 2008 on the PS3 and playing regularly with a bunch of work colleagues.....

12 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I was there on the 360 and PS3 and Revenge was better than it then and it's better than it now. Burnout shouldn't be an open world game. Yes, it was fun, but literally any multiplayer game is fun. I liked Paradise, but Revenge was astonishingly good. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Been playing both this and Burnout Revenge on the Series X, whilst Paradise looks cleaner it's a significantly worse game than Revenge. As mentioned above the route finding during a race can be a real ball ache and you'll overshoot even when the map is familiar, losing you the race. At the time I remember not liking the open world and it hasn't aged well.

Revenge is glorious, though. Still plays amazingly and I'd really missed Crash mode - Revenge's Crash is the best in the series and just keeps getting sillier and more wanton as you progress, it's pure stupid fun and crazy addictive. Crashbreakers are a lovely addition and make up for the inevitable rubber-banding when you crash - a good way of balancing the races so you don't lose everything when you bail.

Paradise just removed all the great things from Revenge, it's a really weird game.

I remember people hating the fact you could hit same-way traffic, like it made the game easier. It was great fun, especially in the mode where you had to hit cars to keep your timer up.

Paradise and Revenge are both good but Paradise doesn't have the immediacy of 3/Revenge/Dominator, it takes some getting used to and is maybe too fast for the way it is laid out. But once you get somewhere with Paradise and are replaying similar routes with all the shortcuts open it gets good in a different way.

I know there was that Dangerous Driving out but I'd love a remake or modernisation of BO3 or Revenge, but add in the burnout chaining from 2/Dominator. For me Dangerous Driving was a bit sparse, the roads too wide. Good for drifting but not so much for smashing.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

As I was saying about some Burnout fans 😉.

Yeah, we have limited time for Paradise truthers who confused just hanging out with a group of their mates and having fun in an open world with actual tight game design. 

59 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I was there on the 360 and PS3 and Revenge was better than it then and it's better than it now. Burnout shouldn't be an open world game. Yes, it was fun, but literally any multiplayer game is fun. I liked Paradise, but Revenge was astonishingly good. 

Agree with this. I did play Paradise when it came out and it  felt like it had been stretched too far to fit in the open world template that was all the rage back then.

@Vimsterthe traffic checking was indeed contentious at the time but now, it's an absolute hoot. Trickshots, traffic takedowns, signature takedowns, crashbrerakers, this game is just rammed with moment-to-moment stuff that makes you smile. It's an absolute joy of a game. I play it every day at the moment after going through Split/Second again and it's just magnificent to play.

Even the presentation makes me massively nostalgic - the guitar riffs, the way your trophies are delivered, it's of its time but very slick and lovingly put together.

A real shame that Paradise was the last one. Yeah I know, Hot Pursuit, but going back to it with the remaster was nowhere near as joyous as Revenge.

After playing it again I'd definitely put Revenge in my top ten of all time, top five even. Incredibly good game.

6 hours ago, McCoy said:

Is this a new thing, bumping posts to announce games as cheaper over time? Let me go find the original Halo thread to let people know its available for 99p from CEX. 

I kinda used your post as a lead-in to my post to explain that I've only just started playing because I'm a cheapskate, and am finding it rather good!

So apologies.

On 05/10/2021 at 16:37, Vimster said:

Yeah I really struggled until I realised the indicators/street sign stuff. Before that I was shooting past turns and getting frustrated. Takes a little getting used to as it's more stuff to concentrate on but you get there. 

Yeah I had the same issue. I turned the music down and now I can hear the ping from the satnav that's subtly different for left and right.

On 05/10/2021 at 18:57, scoobysi said:

I didn't really click with it the first time round. It was too different at the time and the open world formula felt overwhelming and a massive barrier to the fun. Especially compared to the previous games. This time round with a bit more time and some friendly trophy completion to get me motivated I'm absolutely loving it. Now there is no barrier to the fun and it's almost as quick as its  predecessors. With added bonus of just being able to cruse.

The only thing I feel let's it down is the car designs. 

Just now, Quexex said:

I didn't really click with it the first time round. It was too different at the time and the open world formula felt overwhelming and a massive barrier to the fun. Especially compared to the previous games. This time round with a bit more time and some friendly trophy completion to get me motivated I'm absolutely loving it. Now there is no barrier to the fun and it's almost as quick as its  predecessors. With added bonus of just being able to cruse.

The only thing I feel let's it down is the car designs. 

Thinking of cool cars, now I want to play some RRV on PS2 (NTSC obviously) 

IIRC (it's been a long time) the end points for each race are repeated, so once you know you are finishing in the stadium for instance, you begin to build a mental map via the street names. If you miss a turn, the rubberbanding will keep things tense anyway and the US block style street map means you can usually make a decent recover unless you miss a turn very close to the finishing point.

I found concentrating on the smash boards and the times for each street (can't remember the name for it) went a long way to building the map in my head before going on to most of the races.

Hah, that was epic.

Just took down a Jansen X12 in the starting car - well, the 'Oval Champ 69' you get when you do the burning challenge for the starting car.

Spent 30 mins just chasing his taillights all around town, only catching up when he hit traffic. Literally.

I have faster cars; I had just gone back to do some upgrade challenges I had missed when he zoomed by.

Much as I loved Paradise's party mode and the joy/pain of trying to get a team of 8 people to do double barrel rolls or 360 flatspins, Revenge is still the best (only played 3/Revenge/Paradise, so don't @ me Burnout 2 fans)

On 07/10/2021 at 12:22, Plissken said:

IIRC (it's been a long time) the end points for each race are repeated, so once you know you are finishing in the stadium for instance, you begin to build a mental map via the street names. If you miss a turn, the rubberbanding will keep things tense anyway and the US block style street map means you can usually make a decent recover unless you miss a turn very close to the finishing point.

I found concentrating on the smash boards and the times for each street (can't remember the name for it) went a long way to building the map in my head before going on to most of the races.

They do give you a lot of help with navigation - but it still has that old Burnout thing where, if you lift your eyes to the map for even a split second to see where you are, you plough head-first into oncoming traffic. So you need all the peripheral vision-based help you can get.

2 was the last game I played previously, and at the highest levels my eyeballs would dry out during a race; you couldn't even blink, man.

5 hours ago, smac said:

2 was the last game I played previously, and at the highest levels my eyeballs would dry out during a race; you couldn't even blink, man.

Yep. I bounced off Paradise, loved 3 & Revenge, but chaining boosts in Burnout 2 was one of the most intense things i've ever experienced. 

Unlocked the Elite racer in Revenge and 5 starred almost everything apart from a couple of the traffic checking challenges. Just a phenomenal game even now that held my attention and made me smile a lot. I tried again with Paradise last night but it just doesn't click for me at all - the open world and removal of pretty much everything that made Revenge so great is a real downer.

Started replaying Black to stay in that Criterion groove and whilst it has aged in some ways, there is a finesse and level of detail that really pulls you in and focusses you - it's not the kind of shooter that plays itself and you need to have your wits about you on the harder levels. The payoff for completing it on hard with all of the objectives checked is that amazing infinite rocket launcher - dunno if I have the patience or skills to put myself through that again but so far so good after a couple of levels.The second level with the woods leading onto the base with the first real look at the destructible buildings is still incredible.

Real shame that Criterion are no more.

Just bought Revenge on the strength of this and it's great.  I agree with everything that's been said, mainly how tight game design is way better than open world.  

It's lovely and smooth and can't see if it's just a great 360 game or if it's benefitting from being on the Series X.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Just bought Revenge on the strength of this and it's great.  I agree with everything that's been said, mainly how tight game design is way better than open world.  

It's lovely and smooth and can't see if it's just a great 360 game or if it's benefitting from being on the Series X.

Great,  I'm sure you'll love it as you get into it. I think it was this smooth on the 360, not sure it benefits from being on the X.

At the time I remember moaning about the rubber banding, but playing it now the AI wasn't  an issue at all - it feels well balanced and even quite generous with how it penalises you for crashing. I also thought how smart and crafty the AI was when trying to avoid hitting you during Aftertouch, brilliant to watch in slow-mo as it heads straight for an unavoidable collision and your boost bar fills back up again. There are so many brilliant design decisions in this game.

The Crash junctions are an absolute joy in this, best in the series and an absolute pleasure to 5 star all of them. The ice cream van is a real hoot.

Playing a bit more of Black, tonight.

PYfq9r.gif

On 05/10/2021 at 18:57, scoobysi said:

Even playing it back in the day at launch, I disagree. Burnout was best with standard circuits and crash junctions that you selected. It was made worse by shifting to open world in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Even playing it back in the day at launch, I disagree. Burnout was best with standard circuits and crash junctions that you selected. It was made worse by shifting to open world in my opinion. 

Some of my best gaming memories are 8 player sessions in BP on PS3, I thought it was amazing tearing across the city, taking different routes to see who could get there first but then all meeting up for the challenge and helping each other through it. Single player was great too, Big Surf Island was fantastic, very compact but loads to do.

There’s definitely a split of those who prefer traditional Burnout and those who prefer Paradise, Paradise all the way for me but I love the other games too and recently re-bought B2 on the Cube.

Some of my best gaming memories are 8 player sessions in BP on PS3, I thought it was amazing tearing across the city, taking different routes to see who could get there first but then all meeting up for the challenge and helping each other through it. Single player was great too, Big Surf Island was fantastic, very compact but loads to do.

There’s definitely a split of those who prefer traditional Burnout and those who prefer Paradise, Paradise all the way for me but I love the other games too and recently re-bought B2 on the Cube.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong Paradise was fantastic. I think there are 3 burnout eras:

OG: 1 & 2

Destruction: 3 - Revenge

Open World: Paradise

I sit in the destruction Era. BO3 was the first game I ever bought full price when I was about 15. £40 on my PS2 and it was amazing. Listening to We are the Lazy Generation while slamming AI cars into walls. Great memories.

2 minutes ago, T Pot said:

I sit in the destruction Era. BO3 was the first game I ever bought full price when I was about 15. £40 on my PS2 and it was amazing. Listening to We are the Lazy Generation while slamming AI cars into walls. Great memories.

I thought Takedown was brilliant at the time, I need to plug in the PS2 and give it a spin sometime.

I thought Takedown was brilliant at the time, I need to plug in the PS2 and give it a spin sometime.

I always loved the PSP version Burnout Legends that was based on it was brilliant too.