Burnout Paradise

rubberducker

I think this sounds great, we need more games with the open structure of Test Drive. I still live in hope of a game with the TDU structure, but the handling of Forza, but this will no doubt satisfy my arcade racing itch.

Oh, and how good does this sound :o

PlayStation Eye/ Xbox Vision Camera support that auto-snaps pictures of online opponents when you taken them down for funny reaction shots.

_angry_nintendo_nerd.jpg

PlayStation Eye/ Xbox Vision Camera support that auto-snaps pictures of online opponents when you taken them down for funny reaction shots.

I'm thinking this might be funny the first few times you get pictured, after which time you'd either unplug your camera to avoid further humiliation, or hurl it out the window in anger.

Rockstar's Midnight Club series does it ok. I reckon it sounds bloody amazing. I hate menus. They break up the experience in the same way as loading screens. The idea of being able to go from one race to another just by driving to another spot is nothing short of sublime.

It's obviously horses for courses. NFSU 2 and thereafter let you either drive about or use menus. People hated just driving about to find races. If I could just drive about and mess about without the police getting in the way as in NFSU:MW and TDU then maybe it'll be more fun.

Now I dunno if I'm being picky, but colour me 10 shades of underwhelmed. It looks not that far removed from Revenge on the 360 in terms of looks. The 'NPC' traffic is still featurless and looks like they belong to a completely different game to the player car models. Still, it's only pre-alpha (so the vid says) but Criterion are gonna have to do summat spectacular in the next 4 months to move me :/

Rockstar's Midnight Club series does it ok. I reckon it sounds bloody amazing. I hate menus. They break up the experience in the same way as loading screens. The idea of being able to go from one race to another just by driving to another spot is nothing short of sublime.

Yup, that's how it works in "Cars: The Movie" on the Wii (in Story Mode)...

Sublime.

• 3 months later...

Already posted in the PS3 thread, but hey...

Burnout Paradise smashes into North America Jan. 22

The next installment in the Burnout franchise, Burnout Paradise, races (and crashes) its way into Xbox 360s and PS3s across North America on Jan. 22. Can't wait until the '08 for your Paradise fix? Then be happy in knowing that a demo will be available on PSN and XBLM this December.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/26/burnout-...america-jan-22/

• 1 month later...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/839/839904p1.html

US, December 5, 2007 - The most high-octane racing series this side of the Mississippi (and the other side as well) is just about set to hit the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in January with the release of Burnout Paradise. While you will have to wait until next month in order to play the full game, you're only days away from getting a taste of it as a downloadable demo is set to hit on December 13th on both the PS3 and 360.

The demo starts you off in a Hunter Cavalry, a slow but reasonably strong ride. Right out of the junkyard, which will serve as your main vehicle hub throughout the full game, it starts off all banged up, but driving through a nearby auto repair shop will fix it up right away. You needn't actually stop in the shop to get it repaired, which allows you to get repairs while in the middle of events to help fix any damage you've taken.

You'll be able to take the Hunter through what looks like maybe 1/10th of the entire map, which is gigantic, so the playable demo area is actually quite large. You're confined to a piece of the downtown district for the demo, so there's plenty of traffic and tight turns to take. You'll have to wait for the full game to get out into the country side and really test your drifting abilities, but the demo area gives you plenty of jumps to take to the air with.

These jumps play perfectly into one of the three events that you'll find in the demo, a Stunt challenge. When you start the challenge, you're given two minutes to rack up at least 50,000 stunt points, which you earn by hitting jumps, drifting, crashing through objects and generally driving chaotically. Stunts are strung together so long as you keep racking up the points, and boosting helps with this as you constantly earn points while you boost. Multipliers are earned by way of jumps, billboards, flat spins off of jumps and barrel rolls. You'll find a series of little barrel roll jumps scattered throughout the city where one edge of the ramp is raised a bit, allowing your car to twist through the air. Completing a rotation is tricky, but nailing a jump will earn you a 2X multiplier while everything else is a 1X. The Stunt challenge is the thing we've had the most fun with as you don't need to worry about where you're headed, and you've got to keep thinking on your toes (or wheels as the case may be).

The other two events you'll find are a race, which takes you through the bulk of the playable area, and a Burning Route, which is a timed run from one spot to another. The other main point of interest you'll find here is a paint shop, which at least in terms of the demo will give you a new, random paint scheme when you drive through it.

As for other stuff to do, Burnout Paradise tracks a number of extra goodies that you can "collect". There are Burnout billboards scattered throughout the demo that you can smash through, upon which a counter will pop up to tell you how many you've found. Likewise, you can crash through construction barriers and are shown a similar counter for your efforts.

The demo will be playable online, though we aren't able to hop on just yet as the game tells us that the servers aren't up. Still, you'll be able to join in with your friends and start a Freeburn Online session. Freeburn sessions are where you'll be able to partake in specially designed stunt sessions and the like, but as we can't hop online yet we haven't been able to test them out.

While the demo for Burnout Paradise really only contains three events, there's enough space to drive through and ramps and such to find that it'll entertain you for a good while. And of course, the online possibilities sound like they'll extend its play length even further. Look for the demo to hit the PS3 and 360 online networks on December 13th.

burnout-paradise-20071205052329446.jpg

burnout-paradise-20071205052332290.jpg

Yay, Burnout crossed with Testdrive Unlimited should be 'kin amazing.

i cant wait for this... simply because not only am i a massive burnout fan, but that i have seen nothing on this. All i know is that it is a sandbox game. I haven't even seen a screen.

Only thing now is to decide if i get it on the PS3 or the 360. Aparently the 360 version now looks up to scratch.

I'll be getting the 360 version purely for the controller. My hypemeter is approaching dangerous levels after listening to the 1UP chimps describing the final build.

Tht is a VERY good point. Racing games on the ps3 pad are fucking awful.

Tht is a VERY good point. Racing games on the ps3 pad are fucking awful.

That and Live.

The PS3 one I heard will look a little nicer which is deserved as xbox multiformat games always had a nice sheen to them over PS2 ones last gen, but I'll be getting the 360 one because the online component is like TDU. Fucking yes.

Apparently online works just peachy on PS3, in fact it was Live that they had concerns over initially (although that's all been fixed apparently).

I didnt expect online to be broken on any way on the PS3, its just that its not live (friends lists, invites, no standard voice chat and probably miss out on my friends and most of the people on here).

I didnt expect online to be broken on any way on the PS3, its just that its not live (friends lists, invites, no standard voice chat and probably miss out on my friends and most of the people on here).

Yep all reasons i get any multi plat game on 360 that and most times the ps3 version is gimped in some way.

The controller alone is enough to choose the 360 version.

Totally. I've had enough of the PS3 pad, and am even more pissed off that the dualshock 3 doesn't resolve ANY of the issues from the Sixaxis. It really is putting me off PS3 multi-platform games.

And yes the PS3 online mode is meant to be fantastic. But Burnout will impliment the same system on the 360. Simply because of the invite system, 360 is the way to go