Now that it's gone...

noob

It sounds rather bizarre to condemn the Cube line up if you spent the majority of the generation playing 2 games on another format.

I don't condemn it at all. I enjoyed the cube very much. Was just agreeing that Live was a big deal on the Xbox for me which I bought after having a cube for a while but wanting more. I also said I was gutted at missing a few late gems.

Forgot to mention my top five (which you can see is weighted towards the early games):

Pikmin (Didn't play the second one)

MP (Didn't play the second one)

Luigi's Mansion

Smash Bros.

Monkey Ball

(Didn't get round to playing Wind Waker despite buying it on the day it came out.)

Resident Evil 4 alone was worth owning a Cube for and I got plenty of entertainment from it. It's not that I was ever sorry that I bought one, I was just disappointed because I expected a lot more. That's why I'm quite happy with the Wii; it's different and refreshing so it feels like something exciting again. The Cube always felt like a half-hearted sequel to the N64 with the same problems but without its excellence.

Resident Evil 4 alone was worth owning a Cube for and I got plenty of entertainment from it. It's not that I was ever sorry that I bought one, I was just disappointed because I expected a lot more. That's why I'm quite happy with the Wii; it's different and refreshing so it feels like something exciting again. The Cube always felt like a half-hearted sequel to the N64 with the same problems but without its excellence.

Yeah, exactly that. Except with better games than the N64. Actually, no - the best games on the N64 were better than the best games on the Cube, but overall I'd say the Cube has a stronger line up of games worth owning.

It also has the best pad ever. It was amazing going back to one when I started playing Killer 7 on my Wii.

In a few years, I think I'll look back at the Cube mainly as the console that succesfully brought Metroid into the 3rd dimension and managed to make me actually enjoy a survival horror game (RE4).

The line-up was very similar to the N64's in that there weren't a lot of games, but most of the big 1st party titles were worth playing. Apart from the aforementioned RE4 and Metroid Prime (which I consider to be two of the very best games, ever), I really enjoyed:

Twilight Princess

Wind Waker

Mario Sunshine

Paper Mario 2

DK: Jungle Beat

Pikmin

Luigi's Mansion

MGS: Twin Snakes

Super Monkey Ball

Smash Bros. Melee

F-Zero GX

There were only two major disappointments for me, Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.

Pretty much all of Nintendo's output ranged from great to superb. Wind Waker, F-Zero GX (with help from Sega!), Smash Bros: Melee, Wave Race: Blue Storm, and Super Mario Sunshine are amongst the pinnacle of Cube excellence. Third party honours go to Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4.

I started buying Gamecube games because I thought it would be easy to pretty much get all of the good ones for not much money. That didn't last very long, because it turned out that because nobody fucking bought them loads of them go for a fortune. The other problem is that there were far more games that are worth buying than I expected.

It may be worth checking out if you can get US copies of GC games off ebay or something and use them with Freeloader. Swapping discs is a pain, but sometimes it's the only option.

Unless you're on Wii, Freeloader doesn't work with Wii or so I heard. Or white GC's apparently.

Here's what's left in my GC collection:

Battalion Wars

Billy Hatcher

Chibi Robo

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Donkey Konga

Doshin the Giant

Eternal Darkness

Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

Lego Star Wars II

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Kart Double Dash

Mario Party 5

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Pokemon Channel

Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time

Sonic Mega Collection

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Monkey Ball

Super Smash Bros Melee

Admittedly they're not all classics, and there are one or two in there which I've only kept for the kids (Billy Hatcher, Pokemon Channel), but nevertheless that's what I'm left with after nearly 5 years of Cube ownership.

I'm also trying to re-buy a few old favourites, especially P.N.03 which I played to death, unlocked the Papillon and then stupidly traded in. I've still got the save though and one day I'll play it again!

Ooh boy. In the last week I've probably picked up about 9 games for the cube. Well, mostly rebought really, but never mind.

In my collection at the mo' -

Eternal Darkness

Rogue Squadron II (or is it Rogue Leader II...whatever) - still looks utterly brilliant really.

Luigi's Mansion

Metroid Prime

Resident Evil

Resident Evil IV

Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

Viewtiful Joe

Viewtiful Joe 2

Paper Mario (yay! And for £10 too...)

F-Zero GX (bloody fantastic game)

There's a few more to get before I close the lid on what I want for the platform though:

MP2

Billy Hatcher (for some reason, I want to see the big eggs and the chicken outfit)

Tales of Symphonia

and possibly RE:0 (just for completion's sake really).

And that's about it.

Although Goaty keeps on harping on about Ribbit King, although I've been doing some research, and quite honestly it looks...well...meh.

I bought a Gamecube specifically for RE4. The only other games I got for it was Res 1 remake and Res Zero, and borrowed Pikmin which (i thought was pretty good). Nothing else appealed to me. It's probably a great little console but i i hated the controller, plus i was always put off by comments of poor support from NoE.

Ooh,

Resident Evil 4

Wind Waker

Tales of Symphonia

Ikaruga

Metroid Prime

Paper Mario

I think those are all the ones I really liked. I might have another play through symphonia actually, since it doesn't look like i'll be able to play FFXII any time soon.