IGNORED

This is England

WesT

Anyone know when this is out / being shown?

Keep seeing ads on ch4, and it looks like it could be good.

If it's half as good as dead mans shoes i'll be happy.

Searching the net it has a production date of 2006, has it passed me by?

Anyone know when this is out / being shown?

Keep seeing ads on ch4, and it looks like it could be good.

If it's half as good as dead mans shoes i'll be happy.

Searching the net it has a production date of 2006, has it passed me by?

C4 and Film4 are advertising this and The Last King of Scotland in such a way that it looks like it will be shown really soon.

• 1 month later...

Saw this tonight (it's out there), absolutely loved it. I didn't watch Once Upon A Time In The Midlands because of some of the awful reviews it got, but for me this is in Room For Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes territory.

I don't know what it is with Shane Meadows, but he seems to be able to wring very natural performances from his actors, and this is no exception. I didn't notice a poor performance in the whole film, however the young lad who plays Shaun is incredible, with an infectious laugh and a real swagger, despite his vulnerability. Some of the funniest scenes are between him and his girlfriend, who's almost twice his height and a good few years older. However, the tone can quickly change from comic to chilling in seconds, mainly thanks to Stephen Graham, whose character's time in prison has turned him from a good skinhead into a bad 'un. I kind of wished Paddy Considine had played this part, but I have a feeling it may have turned out too similar to Romeo Brass if he had.

The evocation of the 1980's is brilliantly done, it felt like watching an old Grange Hill episode at the start, and the soundtrack is sublime.

The ending seemed quite abrupt, but overall it's my favourite film so far this year, and I'll definitely be buying the DVD.

I too have just this minute finished watching this.

A bloody fantastic piece of drama. Agree about the performances the boy playing Shaun was fantastic, but as has been said not a bad performance from anyone.

Loved seeing the Corona pop bottles in the shop. Real 80's nostalgia kicked in.

I really must get around to seeing Romeo Brass. :ph34r:

Hey there.

I hope you cock sniffers are going to go out and pay to see the movie at he cinema too.. A filmmaker like Shane Meadows has a small enough audience as it is without scumbags on the Internet robbing his movies of the few quid they make anyway.

I think someone like shane meadows deserves our support. A filmmaker who doesn't want to sell out and go to Hollywood but wants to stay here and tell small quirky independent stories...

I dunno.. I'd hate to see his movies hurt by everyone downloading it instead of going to see it..

But what are you gonna do? The cat is well and truly out of the bag now. The second a movie like this goes online they should release the dvd instantly or have legal downloads out there for people to pay for.. Aint gonna happen though.

Despin out.

Hey there.

I hope you cock sniffers are going to go out and pay to see the movie at he cinema too.. A filmmaker like Shane Meadows has a small enough audience as it is without scumbags on the Internet robbing his movies of the few quid they make anyway.

I think someone like shane meadows deserves our support. A filmmaker who doesn't want to sell out and go to Hollywood but wants to stay here and tell small quirky independent stories...

I dunno.. I'd hate to see his movies hurt by everyone downloading it instead of going to see it..

But what are you gonna do? The cat is well and truly out of the bag now. The second a movie like this goes online they should release the dvd instantly or have legal downloads out there for people to pay for.. Aint gonna happen though.

Despin out.

well I managed to persuade 5 people in work today to go see this when its out didnt need to sniff a single cock either. I'll also be buying the DVD.

My work here is done.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there.

Despin out.

WTF!

"mrHatfield out"

• 1 month later...

Couldn't it be argued that the setting of this film is somewhat misplaced? As in the whole NF skinhead penetration is off by a few years... I have yet to see the film but it is something that I have to admit this gives me reservations towards it.

Well, there's not much organised NF stuff in it. They go to one backroom meeting and that's about it.

So this film isn't about a fatherless child seeking male role models; Finds the skinheads, who then become influenced by the NF?

All I'm saying is by the time this film is set there were very few skinheads not affiliated with racism. It all seems a bit flimsy...

Anyone see the South Bank Show last night? It was really good - Meadows comes across as a really genuine guy. The clips of This Is England look like it'll be a really scary film - the performance by the main adult skin (that scouse bloke who plays Tough in Dead Man's Shoes) looks super intense.

Hey there.

Despin out.

Don't you download every movie under the sun? Cock sniffers indeed!