IGNORED

Interstellar Marines

The Chief

A Shark with legs? And people actually get paid to come up with this crap?

Probably not for that bit specifically, no. It's just a small danish codeshop!

I'm now agonizing over whether it's more shameful to come up with it or to copy it. :wub:

Neither, but if it's japanese then it's perfectly okay for some reason.

Did he really just say, "In the wake of progress... lies a new danger waiting to emerge"

And why is it all made of plasticine? Realism-plasticine I'll grant you.

The cityscape was quite cool though.

THE FUTURE OF TOMORROW IS NOW.

Seriously, to address Gwynsters point, the Alien movie example is the best way to go.

"What else could a SF themed gun game be about?"

I think the dominance of Star Trek on the TV has planted this idea that the only possible future is a military based one, so everyone making popular SF entertainment (tv shows and video games) starts with the premise (probably unconciously) that the miltary are in charge of everything, and then builds on that. Hence too many space marines.

Alien was great because it was a future based on the present - commercial realities, people with shit jobs etc. That's a future I can believe in, or have some interest in.

We have FPSs set in the present day which aren't based on the miltary. Gangsters, criminals, cops etc. Why not a futuristic scenario based on gangsters, spys, criminals, cops, someone framed for a crime he didn't commit etc? Anything as a change from the military.

A camp, space marine piss take is probably the best idea though.

Fuckin' A. If someone took a game like Interstellar Marines and just rewrote and re-recorded the dialogue to include loads of sexual tension and badly communicated feelings, weaving a grand gay soap opera into a grimy, dirty action game...

...then any publisher would probably freak out. It would be the greatest game ever, but seriously it would never be allowed to happen.

Fuckin' A. If someone took a game like Interstellar Marines and just rewrote and re-recorded the dialogue to include loads of sexual tension and badly communicated feelings, weaving a grand gay soap opera into a grimy, dirty action game...

...then any publisher would probably freak out. It would be the greatest game ever, but seriously it would never be allowed to happen.

sadly so,

but if it did, at least when the 14 year old gamefaqs kiddies saw it and said "OMFG THAT CHARACTER IS GAYER THAN FuKIN CELDA" they'd be right....

Seriously, to address Gwynsters point, the Alien movie example is the best way to go.

"What else could a SF themed gun game be about?"

I think the dominance of Star Trek on the TV has planted this idea that the only possible future is a military based one, so everyone making popular SF entertainment (tv shows and video games) starts with the premise (probably unconciously) that the miltary are in charge of everything, and then builds on that. Hence too many space marines.

Alien was great because it was a future based on the present - commercial realities, people with shit jobs etc. That's a future I can believe in, or have some interest in.

We have FPSs set in the present day which aren't based on the miltary. Gangsters, criminals, cops etc. Why not a futuristic scenario based on gangsters, spys, criminals, cops, someone framed for a crime he didn't commit etc? Anything as a change from the military.

Yeah. Which is why Beneath a Steel Sky is the best sci-fi game ever.

INTERSTELLAR MARINES is an AAA, FPS, Sci-fi, action and adventure game with an original and unpredictable storyline

Unpredictable eh? I guess I'd better spoiler what it tells you just two paragraphs up then...

At the dawn of the 22nd century, man’s lust for resources has taken him beyond Earth and into space. This new frontier has brought new challenges and opportunities, dangers and rewards, and out there, in the dark, awaits the ultimate discovery: another sentient species.

o.m.g.

More to the point, you have to stop fucking whining and tell me what you'd make a Sci-Fi pure (No Deus Ex RPing, no Metroid lock-on and puzzle stuff) FPS about if it wasn't Space Marines.

Go on, make my day.

I think it's pretty sad that the constant derivative retreads have actually worn down your imagination so much that you can't even conceive of anything else any more.

SF novels and movies are rife with ideas to steal.

How about:

you play the rag-tag resistance fighters trying to overthrow the "Space Marines" (can't think where this has been done before but it seems somehow familiar)

you play a near-future detective fighting a global biopiracy ring which has co-opted the authorities through genetic blackmail. Your journey takes you through the robot-infested storm drains of LA, the floating slums moored off Buenos Aires, and via space elevator to a luxurious suborbital hotel. (Blade Runner/Total Recall ripoff)

you play the undercover Space CIA, infiltrating backwater planets and covertly deposing their leaders. One level could be an apparently mediaeval planet and the Space UN enforces a Prime Directive type non-interference clause - so you can't be observed using high-tech weapons. Maybe you have a laser disguised as a crossbow. Maybe you have high-tech genetic implants. Maybe that enemy "knight" turns out to be a robot in disguise. (see also: Special Circumstances in the Iain M. Banks Culture novels, Charles Stross' unpublished novel Scratch Monkey).

you play an anthropologist who discovers the remains of a load of human-size bipedal lizards in an Aztec ruin - and the rusted remains of their guns. These invaders from an alternate timeline where the dinosaur age never ended have been meddling in human history for millenia - and now they're after you! And they can disguise themselves as humans! And they control the police! (THEM/Buckaroo Banzai ripoff)

Even if you are going to do Space Marines, why steal the Aliens blueprint, where the Marines are just like today's soldiers, rather than rip off Starship Troopers? No-one has done a decent jet-pack/powered armour game since the Tribes series. Why not have the Space Marines actually fighting in space, on the lunar surface or on Mars where you don't need a jet pack to make huge jumps?

I think it's pretty sad that the constant derivative retreads have actually worn down your imagination so much that you can't even conceive of anything else any more.

SF novels and movies are rife with ideas to steal.

How about:

you play the rag-tag resistance fighters trying to overthrow the "Space Marines" (can't think where this has been done before but it seems somehow familiar)

you play a near-future detective fighting a global biopiracy ring which has co-opted the authorities through genetic blackmail. Your journey takes you through the robot-infested storm drains of LA, the floating slums moored off Buenos Aires, and via space elevator to a luxurious suborbital hotel. (Blade Runner/Total Recall ripoff)

you play the undercover Space CIA, infiltrating backwater planets and covertly deposing their leaders. One level could be an apparently mediaeval planet and the Space UN enforces a Prime Directive type non-interference clause - so you can't be observed using high-tech weapons. Maybe you have a laser disguised as a crossbow. Maybe you have high-tech genetic implants. Maybe that enemy "knight" turns out to be a robot in disguise. (see also: Special Circumstances in the Iain M. Banks Culture novels, Charles Stross' unpublished novel Scratch Monkey).

you play an anthropologist who discovers the remains of a load of human-size bipedal lizards in an Aztec ruin - and the rusted remains of their guns. These invaders from an alternate timeline where the dinosaur age never ended have been meddling in human history for millenia - and now they're after you! And they can disguise themselves as humans! And they control the police! (THEM/Buckaroo Banzai ripoff)

Even if you are going to do Space Marines, why steal the Aliens blueprint, where the Marines are just like today's soldiers, rather than rip off Starship Troopers? No-one has done a decent jet-pack/powered armour game since the Tribes series. Why not have the Space Marines actually fighting in space, on the lunar surface or on Mars where you don't need a jet pack to make huge jumps?

I never thought of them as derivative retreads though, more as... I dunno. Proven genre staples, I suppose.

Those ideas are all pretty boss, though. I think though that if I was playing a game with the sole desire to shoot some bastards, then a generic Space Marine 'em up would work just as well as something with a thoughtful, challenging plotline with good characters and dialogue.

You could say I'm part of the problem, but from when I'm sitting I don't see a problem. I just wanna shoot stuff, because that's what I know I like.

I never thought of them as derivative retreads though, more as... I dunno. Proven genre staples, I suppose.

Those ideas are all pretty boss, though. I think though that if I was playing a game with the sole desire to shoot some bastards, then a generic Space Marine 'em up would work just as well as something with a thoughtful, challenging plotline with good characters and dialogue.

You could say I'm part of the problem, but from when I'm sitting I don't see a problem. I just wanna shoot stuff, because that's what I know I like.

Hmm, I'm of the opinion that entertainment > innovation, and when the premise is the main thing that's being dismissed as derivative, I couldn't give a flying one, as long as it plays well.

ideas

All those ideas sound really good, it would be great to play as some different types of characters when the setting is sci-fi rather than being funneled into the space marine role. Because of all the scifi fiction you might be seen as copying something whatever you do, but it doesn't really matter. You could play as a space assassin working for the space mafia, in a world a bit like Cowboy Bebop where you have to track people down across whole planets.

I still think space marines have a place, but maybe they wouldn't grate so much if they weren't super-wide, beefed up and talking the same old military talk. No power suits as standard, just normal-ish outfits like in Battlestar Galactica, or something else. With a bit of imagination I'm sure you could make them a bit more interesting too.

That's just reminded me of Terra Nova. God that game was good. I'd love to see something like that on modern machines!