IGNORED

So I ate some bear

Chris303

Boar is nice. Relatively hard to find 'round these parts though.

Not tried bear, or many of those you've listed, but I've had kangaroo a few times and each time it was unpleasantly bland. You?

(Personal favourite meat, unusual or not, has to be horse. Yum)

Wild boar is gorgeous, had it in France - spitroasted by the local butcher. Had it with a juniper sauce which is apparently the traditional dressing. Nicest meat I have ever, ever tasted. The starter was parma ham and some fruit, too. Lovely.

I'd love to try this. Mainly because of Asterix :D Only tried Kangaroo in a Walkabout, so hardly where one might expect the finest example! It wasn't really any better or worse than anything else I've had in similar pubs.

As for other 'strange' foods:

Silkworm larvae: Well, better than it sounds. I don't really like it though. Don't hate it, but I'd pretty much only eat it if someone was giving it to me for free.

Live octopus: Squirmy, chewy and has a habit of sticking to the inside of your mouth! Doesn't really taste of much, so dip it in something. Not unpleasant, but I prefer the taste of cooked octopus.

Dog: Lovely! Steamed, soup, it's all good.

Mm, I do like wild boar. Shame it's so hard to get hold of.

Live octopus: Squirmy, chewy and has a habit of sticking to the inside of your mouth! Doesn't really taste of much, so dip it in something. Not unpleasant, but I prefer the taste of cooked octopus.

Explain! Is this one of the baby squid? I assume you're not just taking bits out of a full-size squid... Are they actually live when you eat them? I can't help but thinking that's animal cruelty...

My little farmers market butcher does boar sausages, and they are fucking amazing. It's odd because all his other sausages (pork, beef, game etc) are pretty nasty.

Nothing like eating a preprepared boar sausage & pickle sandwich on a Monday afternoon in work!

Explain! Is this one of the baby squid? I assume you're not just taking bits out of a full-size squid... Are they actually live when you eat them? I can't help but thinking that's animal cruelty...

Baby octopus, I think. Could have been a squid but I think it was octopus. Didn't count the legs :o

Anyway, there are a few ways I've heard of it being done. Either cut up, uncooked - it still moves around for ages after it's been cut up. Little bite size chunks of octopus moving around in a bowl. Or, whole, live - as Davros said, like in Old Boy. Or, like this, but put in some alcohol first to knock it out. I've tried the first two, not the third.

Animal cruelty? Well, I don't know. It's a bit hard to tell if its a quick death or not, considering that killing them doesn't actually stop them moving for like half an hour or something. But it's probably better than cooking them alive as is often done! And it's also what would happen if anything else decided to eat them...

All were nice, although horse was quite tough. May just have been how it was cooked though.

Sounds like it - I've always found it to be a very tender meat. It should also be served in very thin slices (the way the French serve all steak), I can't imagine what it'd be like if served in a slab like British steaks.