Ghostbusters (2016)

CactuarBill

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I really need to see Spy now that I think about it, it looks like it'd be the closest Feig film to Ghostbusters in terms of amount of action. Maybe he's upped his game visually.

Spy is actually good dude, Jason Statham had some great lines with Melissa McCarthy, funny but maybe 15 mins long? 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Not so much leaked as vigorously rubbed in everyone's faces by the manufacturers.

Hide contents

I noticed that there's a mini version of the logo guy with the bowtie being sucked into a trap so maybe he's the first ghost they capture?

According to the video that is THE main villian of the film...

19 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Ghostbusters was edited in a very generic 80s action-comedy way, but that was still quite dynamic and lively. Feig's shooting is very televisual.

Happy to be surprised, my point is really that there's a genuine problem with the negative response from the cranks swamping out the sensible worries. Not here of course.

Interested to know what the characteristics of that would be?

I'd have to go back and watch it and a bunch of things again, but there's the way that close-ups are used, the use of these big indoor locations, steadycam chases, things like that. And that montage you get when the first act's over and they're setting up the real business of the second but people parodying that is more of a cliche than it ever was in actual movies.

It's not a bad thing, BTW. I guess what I'm saying is that it was shot more like a movie than Bridesmaids was. There was one scene in that, with her making a cupcake, where I thought "this is someone shooting a movie".

Feig's trouble (lol, say me,a nerd on an internet forum about a guy who is a extremely talented director and who dresses very well) is, like Judd Apatow, he finds his film in the edit. He indulges tons of ad-libbing and then just crams it in. Why wouldn't you do it when you're working with comedic actors like this? It must be a fucking ball watching these people riff all day; everyone must go home with sore sides, amazed that they get paid to have this much fun. Trouble is, it makes messy, unfocused movies that just barely hang together.

Case in point, I recently rewatched both Bridesmaids and The 40yr Old Virgin and while both are still very funny films I was actually,properly annoyed by how unstructured and sprawling they were. Like,enough annoyed to be one of those angry tutter's! My wife was laughing at me for getting so irate; I was going full on Partridge.

6 hours ago, sir_shrew said:

Agreed on the point about length with Feig and Apatow but mainly the latter. I watched Trainwreck recently and whilst it was very funny, like Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up before it, it's 30 minutes too long. A good comedy needs to be no longer than 90-100 minutes.

The worst offender is the Five Year Engagement. Film goes on forever.

I'm so out of tune with what Hollywood largely deems as comedy these days as I really disliked all those films and, indeed, most of Apatow's output in particular. I also really didn't get the praise Bridesmaids received. As I've said before though, I found Spy to be pretty funny and McCarthy was very good - mainly because it concentrated on being funny rather than having to tell a story with a dramatic leaning.

Knocked up was the same - too many scenes going on and on, making the film a good 15-25 too long. 

What the hell was the Adam Sandler one with Rogen as well? The one in which the film seemed to finish at the 90 minutes with a natural resolution, but then went on for another hour or so? (Funny People it was)

I still can't past the fact that Feig was Mr Craft on Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I'm interested to see the tone this is going to take. The opening of Ghostbusters is still a great scare/atmosphere, and Weaver being taken over is a good fright too. 

• 2 weeks later...

If they can take something as cool and iconic as the logo and not even realise they've completely fucked it, then I can't wait to see what they've done with the film.

1 hour ago, sir_shrew said:

Trailer dropping at 2pm GMT.

New logo variant:

8odV6j5f.jpg

WHY IS IT ORANGE?

WHY DOES IT HAVE A CHEAP EMBOSS FILTER ON IT?

WHY IS THE RIM METALLIC? 

The smoke effect is ok

WHY IS THERE A SHITTY LENS FLARE ON THE GHOST'S CROTCH?

Who cares about a logo? We are here, we are going to see actually footage.  I hated this remake going ahead for a long time.  You would feel like that when Ghostbusters is your favourite film of all time.

Will it make me go see the film in theatres?  It might do but I will await the reviews for the film before I do that.