The Commodore 64 Book

merman

I pre-ordered a few weeks ago. When does this baby roll out? I'm chomping at the bit for this. Are we looking at Q2, Q3 or Q4?

Well, I'm still writing (nearly 70,000 words down).. best estimate at the moment is Summer 2007.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Boyo,

Although the link the to site has no deatils on it at present, I am currently working on a CPC book and also talking to a few industry insiders to see how commercial the idea is before plastering the information everywhere and making an official announcement.

Cheers

Simon

PS - Sorry Merman :ph34r:

yeah, that's a great list.

obviously everyone has their own old favourites, myself is missing Krakout (Ben Daglish's music rules) and the cult classic Bop 'n Rumble (beating up blind people and gorillas is fun) and a few others, but the selection is really good. i'm definately going to order this at the end of the month.

Thought New Zealand Story was gonna be there for sure.

Since all my C64 games were thrown out by my parents, I've been trying to remember the name of this game that I had that was really similar to Turrican. I had that game, Bubble Bobble, NZS, Bombjack and lots of games that never loaded properly.

Was Tracksuit Manager really better than Football Manager? I have awfully fond memories of that game, used to play it at a friend's place for hours and hours on end.

Also Terminator 2 was a definite highlight on the C64 for me, was the C64 version not the definitive one?

No Double Dragon! :(

It's all coming back now, I think.

OK, Krakout was nearly in, but I decided not to overload on Arkanoid style games (I love that kerazy Ben Daglish music!)

Bop 'n Rumble (known as Street Hassle in Europe) is an interesting one, I've played it recently but didn't know it back then (I avoided it after ZZAP's lacklustre review score).

Hades Nebula isn't one of my favourites, and the Power House published a lot of dreck... like Robobolt, which got a grand total of 3% in ZZAP...

I'm not a New Zealand Story fan, although it does get a passing mention in another game's review (bonus points if you know which one :( )

The C64 version of Football Manager is very poor, and Tracksuit Manager had some unique ideas (not least coaching a national side rather than a club team)

Terminator 2 - only worth playing on cartridge.

Double Dragon - the original conversion is only worth laughing at, Ocean's cartridge version is marginally better but rarer than hen's teeth

Any more clues on that game like Turrican? Could it have been Trantor The Last Stormtrooper?

• 3 months later...

Progress is good, and apologies for the lack of updates... One of the main reasons for the lack of news is that I've just moved house, which is not a good idea in the middle of a book project!

The text is 99% finished now, and the first layouts are being done. Hopefully we will get a new preview page up soon for people to see.

Progress is good, and apologies for the lack of updates... One of the main reasons for the lack of news is that I've just moved house, which is not a good idea in the middle of a book project!

The text is 99% finished now, and the first layouts are being done. Hopefully we will get a new preview page up soon for people to see.

icon_thumright.gif

Right, sample chapter (still in the early stages) for you all to look at! Feedback is welcome.

http://www.c64goldenyears.com/sample/1982_web.pdf

Wow. Thanks for the sneak peek.

Just a few little bits as I'm going through...

- Could you make the background pictures just a little lighter. It still gets in the way of the text a little. What do others think? Is it just my poor eyesight?

- I think the main body text font is on page 1 is excellent. Nice and stylish. The main articles font is also nice and easy on the eyes.

- The page layouts also look nice.

- Writing style is up to your usual standard.

Umm, not much else for me to say, really, apart from "Excellent stuff".

Wow. Thanks for the sneak peek.

Just a few little bits as I'm going through...

- Could you make the background pictures just a little lighter. It still gets in the way of the text a little. What do others think? Is it just my poor eyesight?

- I think the main body text font is on page 1 is excellent. Nice and stylish. The main articles font is also nice and easy on the eyes.

- The page layouts also look nice.

- Writing style is up to your usual standard.

Umm, not much else for me to say, really, apart from "Excellent stuff".

:(

The PDF makes the background stand out more. In print it will certainly appear to be toned down.. (I got exactly the same comments with the Spectrum book pdfs, but they looked great in print).

Thanks for the kind words!

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Bit of pedantry here, weren't the cabbage patch dolls, referred to in the review of evolution on page 5, actually called cabbage patch kids?

You're right, and that has been fixed.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I bring you a mock-up of the finished book courtesy of Andrew Rollings...

bookmockuptiny.jpg