The Commodore 64 Book

merman

Make it happen!!!

Strider is still ignoring the requests for an Amiga-Only retrogamer so this would tide us off nicely.

Hehe...

Best way to make something like that happen would be to make sure I sell out of Speccy and C64 books...

(Speccy books are nearly all gone - only about 40 left, but still need plenty of C64 book pre-orders).

Andrew

Another vote for an Amiga book. :lol:

I may get the Speccy and C64 books but money is a bit tight. Any chance of a discount if both were bought at the same time?

Can't really do that because of the scale of the operation... It's basically a hobby, so there's no real money in it... I do need to break even though :P

Sorry (really!) :D

Andrew

Yeah, it doesn't look so good.

Hehe... Well it actually exactly matches the colours in the C64 colour stripes...

Anyway... IMO it's not awful. You can't really tell from the mock-up, but it looks fine up close.

Besides, it's only a small part of the cover, and I doubt it'd put anyone off buying if they didn't like the colours of the author's name :lol:

Andrew

Another vote for an Amiga book! I wont get the C64 one as I didn't own one but I did buy the Speccy one ;)

You could always do the Amiga book as an Amiga/Atari ST combo. Most games were out for both and virtually indistinguishable. Even the machines were almost the same size & shape IIRC

Hehe... Well it actually exactly matches the colours in the C64 colour stripes...

Anyway... IMO it's not awful. You can't really tell from the mock-up, but it looks fine up close.

Besides, it's only a small part of the cover, and I doubt it'd put anyone off buying if they didn't like the colours of the author's name ;)

Andrew

Well, I'm exactly the kind of person who'd be interested in a book dedicated to C64 games and well, I don't think I'll be buying it. Sorry again!

Really it's because I don't think the text is going to tell me anything I didn't already know or offer me any original insights into the games featured. Sorry to be a massive spoilsport, but if it was really nicely designed throughout, I'd be much more inclined to buy it as a 'just to have' thing. Unfortunately, based on the proofs in this thread, it's not for me. And if you can't really tell how something will look from a mock-up, why post them?

Well, I'm exactly the kind of person who'd be interested in a book dedicated to C64 games and well, I don't think I'll be buying it. Sorry again!

Really it's because I don't think the text is going to tell me anything I didn't already know or offer me any original insights into the games featured. Sorry to be a massive spoilsport, but if it was really nicely designed throughout, I'd be much more inclined to buy it as a 'just to have' thing. Unfortunately, based on the proofs in this thread, it's not for me. And if you can't really tell how something will look from a mock-up, why post them?

Thanks for your input. I'll bear it in mind.

Andrew

Look, you're doing an Amiga book - don't argue. I'll buy two copies, just like I did with the Spectrum book, and just like I'm going to do with the '64 book too (one pre-order in already, the other to follow soon). If you're wondering why I needed two of each, it's because I plan to read one and hang on to the other for, ah, 'future generations'...

;)

Seriously, you're either going to do an Amiga book next or a BBC Micro one. Either way, you'll need to finish both before your work can be classified as 'done'. Actually you'll also need to add an Amstrad CPC 464 one to the series. Then your work's done. At least until you get cracking with Volume II of each.

Well, I dunno... I'd hate to use the wrong font on the covers :(:(:(

Andrew

I hope I can persuade you otherwise. Are there any other books dedicated solely to C64 games out there? Are there any other books with behind the scenes trivia on the games, companies and personalities? Are there any other books out there with so many Commodore screenshots, cover scans and title screens? And all topped off with a great foreword by a gaming celebrity (soon to be revealed).

The proofs give a good indication of how things look, but they look better on the printed page, believe me. And as for facts you might not know, there will be a few things in here never seen in print before. We've got other C64 experts proof-reading and fact-checking, providing us with great scans and getting behind the project.

It's a limited edition, so if you want it, pre-order it. If you don't, then you're missing out on something that might not come around again.

And all topped off with a great foreword by a gaming celebrity (soon to be revealed).

I hope you got this guy:

braybrk.jpg

As for content, the Speccy book was full of little trinkets I'd never heard before and I thought I'd heard all there was to hear, and the Mire Mare mock-up was just glorious.

Preorder +1 (maybe I'm colour blind), but...

...for the love of Braybrook, add in a page on the NZ Story. It's not too late to do the right thing.

Not a game I have a lot of love for, unfortunately. Much prefer a certain original game, based on The New Zealand Story, created by the team who were working on the conversion before Ocean took it in house...

(See? That's the sort of nugget of information in the book)

• 2 weeks later...