IGNORED

The Commodore 64 Book

merman

Hi,

I ordered two of these bad boys when you first started taking orders, but I'm not sure which address I used (probably my work address and I've since moved offices), how can I find this out?

Thanks and BTW, I can't wait to get my hand on it.

Ah, well I sent the majority of them out this morning... assuming you ordered before feb 21st 2008...

PM with your details me and I'll tell you what address it went to...

Andrew

Oh dear :unsure:

Many many of the classic Amiga games were just ports of ST versions. Not going to get into a flaming war here. But both had a lot of excellent games available.

Okay I probably shouldnt have wrote that. But I had two friends with Atari's and they just had seriously shit games on them. Maybe this just didnt like to buy the decent ones.

My copy arrived today. Looks to be just as lovelly as the Spectrum one (and actually seems to be printed to a higher standard), but I think having the Spectrum being slagged-off in the foreword is fairly petty.

Hmmm, reading through, and there seems to be other little-digs at the Spectrum throughout the book...

Looking and sounding very similar to the ZX Spectrum original was a flaw

So, the C64 getting a conversion of perhaps one of the most original games ever made is to be considered a flaw? I also notice that although you mention that the C64 version of Head Over Heels is slow, you don't have the grace to admit that it's actually slower than the original Spectrum version.

Woo hoo. It's here.

I couldn't actually rememeber if I'd ordered this or not (I ummed and ahhed for so long), but searching my emails last week showed up that I had.

The book looks great, (obviously very similar to the speccy one, but without the 'wow-that's-almost-exactly-the-same-dimensions-as-the-machine' factor). As I've never owned a beige breadbin, of any kind, I am looking forward to learning what gems I have missed.

A big thank you for the effort you've put into this book.

My copy arrived today. Looks to be just as lovelly as the Spectrum one (and actually seems to be printed to a higher standard), but I think having the Spectrum being slagged-off in the foreword is fairly petty.

Hmmm, reading through, and there seems to be other little-digs at the Spectrum throughout the book...

So, the C64 getting a conversion of perhaps one of the most original games ever made is to be considered a flaw? I also notice that although you mention that the C64 version of Head Over Heels is slow, you don't have the grace to admit that it's actually slower than the original Spectrum version.

The foreword is Jeff Minter's views, not necessarily my own.

What that line in the Skooldaze review means is that they could have done MORE on the C64 with the graphics and sound. As for Head Over Heels, yes it is slower than the Spectrum version. It's not about having the "grace" to admit it.

At least one of the digs at the Spectrum's expense (Action Biker) was written by Andrew Rollings himself...

Believe me, I spoke to Jeff about that... He satisfied me that it was a joke, and gave me permission to change it to something less inflammatory if I wished... I left it as it was, cos I've got a sense of humour :lol:

That's only fair really... I stuck loads of digs at the C64 into the speccy book... (and continually taunted Merman all through the writing process and beyond... In fact, one of my sneaky C64 taunting edits made it through to the final book... I was sure Merman would spot it and tell me to change it... actually, he did but I 'forgot' ;) )

In Merman's defence (and mine as I edited it) - I think a process of elimination could get you there ^_^

At least one of the digs at the Spectrum's expense (Action Biker) was written by Andrew Rollings himself...

That was more a dig at Mastertronic's expense... That game SUCKED on the Spectrum...

Andrew

Yeah, I'll give you that one, Action Biker is crap on the Speccy!

I was glad to finally see a review for Metal Dust though. Did you actually get to play it? I recently sold practically all my Spectrum/C64 stuff, so I guess I'll never get to play it unless it somehow get's emulated.

Yeah, I'll give you that one, Action Biker is crap on the Speccy!

I was glad to finally see a review for Metal Dust though. Did you actually get to play it? I recently sold practically all my Spectrum/C64 stuff, so I guess I'll never get to play it unless it somehow get's emulated.

Yes, I've played it a couple of times at events, it was fantastic (and tough!)

Oh, and two games I'm dissapointed that didn't make it into the book are Dancing Monster and Go Go The Ghost.

One of the criteria I used was games I'd played back then, and I didn't actually PLAY Dancing Monster until about 2000. It's a bizarre little game but not worth a full page review. GoGo The Ghost I only have limited experience of, and was never particularly enamoured with it.

Mine was here when I got in from work. It's a little beauty - just like the speccy one. Thanks Mr Fisher and Mr Rollings - your efforts are very much appreciated.

Lots of great games spotted in my quick flick through so far, including a few I'd forgotten - Kane being one in particular.

Slightly surprised to see Lords of Midnight in there, as I think of it more as a Spectrum game, but I see you did the right thing and gave me the big screenshot. :lol:

As for the Spectrum slagging - I laughed and I owned a Spectrum. I even noticed that on the Commando page - it mentions that the Spectrum version is better - apart from Rob Hubbard's amazing tuneage of course.

There's something else I thought would be mentioned too in the Little Computer People review. I'm sure I read once, that the disk release was quite unique in that every single disk had been serialised at the point of production, and the unique serial was used in creating the random seed that changes the LCP. The unique serial may have been used to effect other 'random' elements in the game too in order to make each user experience relatively unique.

There's something else I thought would be mentioned too in the Little Computer People review. I'm sure I read once, that the disk release was quite unique in that every single disk had been serialised at the point of production, and the unique serial was used in creating the random seed that changes the LCP. The unique serial may have been used to effect other 'random' elements in the game too in order to make each user experience relatively unique.

There are several variations of appearance and a long list of possible names for the LCP, yes. As the review points out, they are all male and the ZZAP listing (although flawed initially) allows you to "evict" an LCP and get a new one. Whether that is all based on a serial number on the disk is unclear.

Great book and lovely to behold. Nicely timed with me finally getting Frodo working on my DS :(

No Lazy Jones though *sob*

Heck, I've already got a list of loads of titles that weren't in the first volume... need to add that one to it :(

• 7 months later...