This will please Jeebus

Deeptone

I'm surprised at how long this has taken, given that people were getting toasted 360s at about one every three months. When those few-dozen launch PS2s blew due to having a Japanese transformer instead of a UK one they were over it like a rash.

When they were investigating the PS2 for its large number of breakages. I remember seeing them saying in Japan it was unheard of to get the PS2 fixed when it broke out of warranty. People just bought replacements. They had a Japanese girl who had bought a replacement but admitted it didn't get used much as she only had one because you got the pish ripped out of you at school if you didn't own one.

My launch 360 broke within 3 months, it was sent off on a Monday and a replacement arrived on the Thursday.

Sorry to be repeating myself... but they are only replacing / fixing free of charge inside warranty. Which all companies are obliged to do, right?

I think a £280 piece of kit should last a bit longer than 13 months, which is how long mine lasted. :(

Therefore there is a case for them to answer, IMO.

Mine lasted just over 13 months, and it was replaced free of charge. No quibbles at all, original console goes wrong, phone MS, do the UPS thing and a brand new replacement console is in my hands 7 days later. Cost to me, zero pence.

Crappy build quality, but it appears that 99% of the time the console are being replaced free of charge. I don't quite know what Watchdog will achieve. I think MS have already conceded there's an issue with the build quality, and they do seem to be genuinely making an effort to make good....

Not at all - it's hit and miss if you'll get it repaired for free or be charged £80.

Either way, the console should last a lot longer than it does. The survey showed the average lifespan of a 360 that breaks down is 7.3 months. Thats shocking.

Watchdog contacted.

Got my 2nd replacement back today. Stupid, stupid UPS delivered it next door, yesterday.

Cue, much hilarity when the people next door claimed not to have it received it.

(Turns out a new person moved into one of their rooms, who works nights shifts, and no one had met)

This one better fucking last!

I disagree completely. It is annoying that people have had to return machines, but from the people I know in 'real life' and on here, most people have got things sorted pretty easily, with minimum hassle.

I don't see how Microsoft could come out (from a spot on a UK TV show) looking really bad, to be honest.

I remember Sega getting a load of flak for the Dreamcast after being on Watchdog. Complaints were made that their slogans such as "6 billion players" were in fact, untrue, because apparently

1) they gave the impression that there was 1 game that allowed all Dreamcast owners to play together, and

2) at the time there weren't actually that many online games.

I even remember my gran mentioning it to me, and she hardly has any idea what a video games console is. Just "that new sega doo-dad is bad apparently, Watchdog said so". I think it could penetrate far deeper into the consumer consciousness than you might think.

I disagree completely. It is annoying that people have had to return machines, but from the people I know in 'real life' and on here, most people have got things sorted pretty easily, with minimum hassle.

I don't see how Microsoft could come out (from a spot on a UK TV show) looking really bad, to be honest.

Well it took me best part of SIX months to get mine back many phone calls trying to talk to there support center was met with lies having the phone put down on me laughed at and a few others, just because you havent had issues with them doesnt mean there service is perfect. Tbh this is the worst customer service i have ever witnessed 6 months for a repair is way ott and guess what they offered me a wireless pad for my isues fooking wireless pad i have had to rebuy a console at xmas time so i didnt miss out on gow rainbow etc.

Well it took me best part of SIX months to get mine back many phone calls trying to talk to there support center was met with lies having the phone put down on me laughed at and a few others, just because you havent had issues with them doesnt mean there service is perfect. Tbh this is the worst customer service i have ever witnessed 6 months for a repair is way ott and guess what they offered me a wireless pad for my isues fooking wireless pad i have had to rebuy a console at xmas time so i didnt miss out on gow rainbow etc.

First of all, calm down. It's not the worst customer service in the world because you at least did get sorted. I don't think he was trying to say it was "perfect" either, just generally good.

I can't criticise Microsoft though; the only time I ever called them was to fix disconnection issues with Live on the original Xbox - they led me through quite a complex series of steps, and I could tell the bloke knew what he was on about too. It fixed the problem quickly and efficiently, and I never had further troubles. As a result I can't criticise.

First of all, calm down. It's not the worst customer service in the world because you at least did get sorted.

Hang on a mo - it took six months to repair and you're basically saying he should be thankful they sorted it at all?

Sure, it sounds like he was very unlucky and had an untypical experience, but of course he's going to be pissed off in this situation.

Hang on a mo - it took six months to repair and you're basically saying he should be thankful they sorted it at all?

Sure, it sounds like he was very unlucky and had an untypical experience, but of course he's going to be pissed off in this situation.

No, he shouldn't be thankful either - but it's clearly not the worst in the world. It's just bad.

But the minute you step outside of warranty you're f**ked. And considering a lot of people are finding that their 360's have a lifespan of between 6 and 12 months... well I think it's pretty shoddy of Microsoft to be selling goods with such a small lifespan and expect consumers to be happy about it.

But hasn't the warranty been extended to a year on machines made before a certain date?

I remember Sega getting a load of flak for the Dreamcast after being on Watchdog. Complaints were made that their slogans such as "6 billion players" were in fact, untrue, because apparently

1) they gave the impression that there was 1 game that allowed all Dreamcast owners to play together, and

2) at the time there weren't actually that many online games.

There weren't any at the time - Chu Chu Rocket was released the following May, I think.

However, IIRC the Dreamcast's appearance on Watchdog was more due to people having trouble connecting to the internet at all, rather than specifically the lack of online games.

Nope, no Sony plot.

People are just getting tired of having to replace their consoles as MS still havent fixed whatever the major failings of the 360 are. Now that people are out of warranty and cant get a free replacement they have started to kick up a fuss.

only in the US - pre 2006 machines.

Surely if they've done it in the US you can kick up a fucking stink and get them to match it over here.

I'm a bit worried because mine has taken to freezing a bit recently. It died whilst playing the GRAW demo last night and then again today playign FEAR. It's not been too bad other than that, but over the past couple of months it has been freezing more regularly. And it's a launch model. If it does go tits up they better replace it for free.

If anyone is in discussion with Watchdog over this, can you get them to raise the issue that previously paid for live arcade and content is only accessible when online if you are unfortunate to need a replacement machine. This is paid for content and should not be obstructed by Microsofts crappy DRM processes.

Needing to get a console replaced in the first place is bad enough without being penalised for their poor manufacturing standards.

I want to call Watchdog about the whole Xbox Live Camera/GAME fiasco.

I'm well fucked off that they charged me for part of the order, but not the rest of it. Aren't there rules against that sort of thing, shouldn't the whole order have been cancelled? Never in my history of ordering stuff online has this happened.

It also seems like a very convenient way for GAME to offload a shitload of crap 99p stock they can't sell anymore. "Buy this 99p item, get 25 quid off camera! Oh wait, sorry to the few thousand customers who ordered, it was a mistake. He's a voucher for a fiver. Spend it on something EXPENSIVE ;)"

Online flyers are the worst. DSG love doing it. Basically you find internet offers for things like HDTVs, which are always out of stock when you click to order. Course, they were never in stock, but no-one can actually prove it.

Then you're taken to a page of alternative items at twice the price.

It's all this sneaky shit that really gets to me. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some GAME execs planned the whole thing. After all, who wants a 99p GBA Micro slip case? It comes with one, FFS.

Surely if they've done it in the US you can kick up a fucking stink and get them to match it over here.

That was an annoying thing that Watchdog highlighted - MS in the US have admitted there are problems with the hardware and offer the extended warranty etc. The UK / Europe Customer Support say it's not a common fault and it will be judged on a case by case basis.

"Anybody having an issue with their Xbox 360 console should call customer service immediately so that we can help. Microsoft voluntarily provides customers with a one year manufacturer's warranty in the UK which operates over and above the legally required retailer warranty for all consumer goods."

That's not right is it?