Killzone 2

rubberducker

Oy! I am more chilled then an ice cold Schnapps, cooler then a Snowman's cold bits. Problem is I want to read discussion on this thread without the fucking Dalai Lama spouting his usual biased SonyLOL bullshit & trying to cover it up by posting the occasional video. He's reminds me very much of ex-president Bill Clinton.

Look, whatever, but I've been just been reading the thread again and evidently i'm not very popular (with my mad ''opinions'' and all) , so I thought some of you might like to see this fine post from Scog again.

Learn from Scog. He made me laugh. ;)

Also, if you'll indulge me, my response to Stolly saying I was being too negative or something:

Dude, seriously, no.

I am a gamer. Killzone 2 has my attention, but i've been stung by hype too many times to not hold back. I'm just trying to be sensible. Anyway, i'm an FPS fan and a graphics whore so i'm paying close attention. That doesn't mean I'm going to get carried away based on very little.

You're right about the Neogaf buzz. I spent a few hours skimming the entire thread the other night. It's fair to say that all of the comments from people that have played have been very positive. I meant to mention it yesterday but I forgot to, i'm rather forgetful.

I don't see what owning or not owning a PS3 has to do with anything, personally.

Anyway, peace.

Come on people, lighten up. We have a war to fight!

This thread could (I'm hoping) turn into a Dead Space/ Motorstorm 2 surprise love-in this time on Saturday, so let's not ruin it before that with the scrapping!

If Smitty's pissing you off in this thread, just skip over his stuff when you see his icon! It'll be like having an eyes-off button for you!

http://www.teletext.co.uk/GameCentral/Feat...ws/default.aspx

GameCentral's review is up this morning.

Wowzer, that was a bad review ;)

I still don't understand why, in game reviews, 7/10 = 'average'. That text reads like an obvious 5/10... once again demonstrating how ridiculous a debate over review scores is ever going to be.

The sticks on my DS3 were looser than my SIXAXIS sad.gif I think it's a complete lottery I'm afraid.

Mine are pretty good - just been playing Resistance for the first time, and aiming's sharp and precise (yes, even on a Sony pad and accounting for the game's ridiculous hand-holding auto-aim :( )

I'd consider swapping-out the sticks for your sixaxis to your DS3; see if that makes any difference.

I just hope the full game is as good as the demo. I was very unimpressed with the demo at first, but something kept drawing me back and on about my third go it just clicked. Love it.

Multiplayer sounds like it might be good, too. I like the way you can view top-down replays of multiplayer matches on the web site. Though I'll no doubt be watching with my head in my hands, peeking through fingers at my terrible performances.

Wowzer, that was a bad review ;)

I still don't understand why, in game reviews, 7/10 = 'average'. That text reads like an obvious 5/10... once again demonstrating how ridiculous a debate over review scores is ever going to be.

The problem is they spend nearly all the review criticising the single player campaign and then reason right at the end as some kind of afterthought that it gets a seven for the multiplayer mode which they feel little need to discuss in any detail. So we have a 5/10 review with a 7/10 score. You only really need to read the 'in short' bit at the end for the score to make any sense.

I think it's because sometimes reviewers retreat behind the safety of a 7/10 to protect themselves from the flack that they might otherwise get from readers and PR people if they were to give a game a 5/10. If I had reviewed Killzone 2 I would have given it 5/10. If I was working on a magazine, I'd probably have to fight with my publisher to give it that. Then I'd have to fight with the game's PR people (and, in some cases jeopardise my chances of getting access to review code in future). Then I'd have to abstain from the internet for several weeks till all the fury has died down from people who haven't played the game but are excited about it; or from people whose need to justify their purchase has brought on the self-delusion that they actually enjoy it; or from those people who do actually enjoy it and are angry that someone else might not. Sometimes it's difficult to find the mental stamina to put yourself through all that.

(I mean, just look at this thread: people are getting berated for not liking the game, as if it's not legitimate to discuss a game if you don't like it!)

Shipped! Now I just gotta make sure I'm in when they deliver. Shopto stuff needs to be signed for, right?

(I mean, just look at this thread: people are getting berated for not liking the game, as if it's not legitimate to discuss a game if you don't like it!)

I don't think anyone is.

EDIT: I'll add this here just to stop Smitty derailing the thread again. Smitty, like we all said, loads, we are having a go at you for acting like a dick, not for being negative about this game. Plenty of people have been negative about Killzone 2 but no one is having a go at them because they aren't acting like a twat.

Not even that. I can't say wether I like the game or not (mixed feelings after the beta though), but i've been attacked for making sarcastic comments tangentially related to it. People are so sensitive over this game, it's unbeliveable.

Funny old world.

When i'm playing KZ2 on friday, i'll try and remember what a troll I apparently am.

I don't think anyone is.

;)

EDIT: I'll add this here just to stop Smitty derailing the thread again. Smitty, like we all said, loads, we are having a go at you for acting like a dick, not for being negative about this game. Plenty of people have been negative about Killzone 2 but no one is having a go at them because they aren't acting like a twat.

Whatever. Making a sarcastic comment is not ''acting like a twat''. Or a dick, for that matter. Fucking hell, I still don't get what my crime was.

But anyway. I'm going to PM you, because this is all just silly. I won't discuss it here any longer. I didn't actually want to in the first place, I don't enjoy arguing whatever any of you might believe, but when you're accused of something false, you naturally want to speak out against that. I am going to talk to Soong because I don't understand what's so wrong with what i've said.

Sorry.

When i'm playing KZ2 on friday, i'll try and remember what a troll I apparently am.

You're not actually joining Super Awesome PlayStation Team are you? ;) I'll add you up.

I'm getting this on Friday methinks, from the demo it's a bit of a Call Of Duty-in-space affair with a fancy cover system. I always felt CoD4 made you stick your napper on the line a bit needlessly considering you're meant to be an SAS expert.

Mine shipped today from ShopTo.

Looks like the steelbook shipped later - makes no odds to me, like. Still getting it a day before release.

I think it's because sometimes reviewers retreat behind the safety of a 7/10 to protect themselves from the flack that they might otherwise get from readers and PR people if they were to give a game a 5/10. If I had reviewed Killzone 2 I would have given it 5/10. If I was working on a magazine, I'd probably have to fight with my publisher to give it that. Then I'd have to fight with the game's PR people (and, in some cases jeopardise my chances of getting access to review code in future). Then I'd have to abstain from the internet for several weeks till all the fury has died down from people who haven't played the game but are excited about it; or from people whose need to justify their purchase has brought on the self-delusion that they actually enjoy it; or from those people who do actually enjoy it and are angry that someone else might not. Sometimes it's difficult to find the mental stamina to put yourself through all that.

But why and how can this happen?

Take the movie magazine world: the power is very much in the hands of the journalists - the movie gets screened pretty much everywhere so that word of mouth can generate and the movie gets as wide coverage as feasible.

The downside to this from the production side is that it can be overwhelmingly negative and the movie bomb. Of course, if the film's decent it can get a huge boost from early positivity.

And ok, there may be some private screenings, backhanders etc. going on that sweeten certain major newspapers' journo's opinions, but its clandestine due to the scale. Influencing the large number of people able to see the movie isn't possible, so whilst a lot of reviews will be tainted, many will be honest and unbiased.

It's not a 'clean' system, but I truly believe the power is still with the journos when it comes to telling the truth about films; look at Phantom Menace. Nothing had a bigger push than that, but almost every review I saw (bar Empire's laughable one) gave it average-to-poor review.

So then: how has it got to such a state in the games industry? Why don't magazines have more power? Surely if they stuck to their guns and refused to cave to PR pressure for several key releases (and ALL major publications did the same) then the games publishers would have to come snivelling and grovelling to them? That's how it's meant to work: producers have to run the gauntlet of poor reviews if they want exposure, which should drive up quality in turn - simple economics.

Or is the problem that the main publications that get 'noticed' are 'official' magazines, and therefore push independents to the sidelines, creating this gulf?

A bit of a ramble, a bit OT and possibly a bit naive, but would be nice to hear what others think. It has a lot to do with KZ2's reception and importance/lack of it...

Films aren't based around previews to such an extent, the PR cycle begin once the film has actually finished production, whereas with games it's looking two years ahead.

(and ALL major publications did the same)

There's your issue. Even if all publications did the same, PR people could just skip them and start going to blogs like Kotaku, written by people who aren't paid and are happy to get a free game for review. Sent them a free copy and some tat, or take them on a PR junket and all you've done is shifted the problem around.

Films aren't based around previews to such an extent, the PR cycle begin once the film has actually finished production, whereas with games it's looking two years ahead.

Have you looked at a film magazine lately? 90% of the cover space and about half the content inside is about stuff that isn't out for anything from months to years down the line.

Edit- not to mention the fact that in-cinema trailers, TV ads and massive, action-figure-to-lunch-box brand campaigns begin up to several months in advance.