보신땅 (Dog soup)

letsbook

Living in a country where this is pretty much readily available (and in many more guises than just soup) I'm always asked by foreigners if I have, and by Koreans if I would... (and the answer is yes to both). Bear in mind that these dogs are bred for consumption (although Koreans have some great stories about their pets "running away" when they were young) and it tastes pretty damn good.

So the 'muk, would you sit down for some?

It's hard to get your hands on a pig to hug it - they are locked away where you won't see their misery. If there were as many pig rescue centres as those for dogs I'm sure plenty of people would hug pigs. In fact, some people do keep pet pigs (usually small ones obviously), even in the house, and they are just as friendly and interesting as any dog. They don't bark annoyingly, but can be trained to defend the house against intruders. You may also be interested to know that there are incidents of cows and other herd animals protecting people from bulls, wolves, and other predators. My dog would run away - she wouldn't even consider stopping me getting gored.

I wouldn't eat dog soup, but that's because I wouldn't eat any animal. If I were an omnivore I wouldn't refuse to.

It's hard to get your hands on a pig to hug it - they are locked away where you won't see their misery. If there were as many pig rescue centres as those for dogs I'm sure plenty of people would hug pigs. In fact, some people do keep pet pigs (usually small ones obviously), even in the house, and they are just as friendly and interesting as any dog. They don't bark annoyingly, but can be trained to defend the house against intruders. You may also be interested to know that there are incidents of cows and other herd animals protecting people from bulls, wolves, and other predators. My dog would run away - she wouldn't even consider stopping me getting gored.

I wouldn't eat dog soup, but that's because I wouldn't eat any animal. If I were an omnivore I wouldn't refuse to.

I know this, and infact I would like a house pig when I have my own house, the difference is I was bought up with dogs around and have actualy attached emotion and love to a dog, I have never done that to a pig.

I personaly don't think that any animal breed for food is a problem, its called the food chain and it works, but in my eyes a pig is for eating and a dog is for cleaning up the leftovers for you, there is a reason why we eat the tastiest, biggest animals and don't really bother with the others.

<_<

I am sure we would get on great, aslong as we didnt talk.

Dog I would probably try, although I can't see a reason for ordering it except to prove a point. As long as it had been raised in good conditions, without being pumped full of junk, and cooked nicely, I'd be willing to try anything I guess. Except human.

What about cat? Anyone fancy some braised kitten?

I personaly don't think that any animal breed for food is a problem, its called the food chain and it works, but in my eyes a pig is for eating and a dog is for cleaning up the leftovers for you, there is a reason why we eat the tastiest, biggest animals and don't really bother with the others.

The most important reason is that they are herbivores and therefore easier to subjugate, domesticate, and maintain. The problem with your food chain point is that naturally you wouldn't be eating these animals - can you really see yourself bringing down a cow with your teeth and hands against its hooves? Some apes occasionally kill small mammals (and often don't actually eat them), but they certainly wouldn't go for sheep! Plenty of people across the world 'bother' with eating animals other than sheep/pigs/cows, on a regular basis, and would probably disagree with you that they are tastiest.

The dog thing reminds me of something which happened in primary school actually - somebody came in to talk about making worm pate and toasted insects - he brought samples, and I couldn't believe how many children refused to taste them. It's just your social conditioning, as Gaz mentioned, growing up eating certain foods but not others, and I have never understood that closed-minded attitude. I try anything which is offered to me (as long as it's vegan and organic), and I would be the same with any animal foods if I ate meat.

Pigs are omnivores

You know, I reckon shoco might just be aware of that already.

Then again, I eat black pudding, probably among the most anti-"squirmish-vegetarian" food that exists.

It's the food I missed most after turning veggie. You'll find that it's meat-eaters, not vegetarians who tend to be squirmish about these things. We have no need to be, see?

The problem with your food chain point is that naturally you wouldn't be eating these animals - can you really see yourself bringing down a cow with your teeth and hands against its hooves? sheep!

No, "naturally" we would use spears, or indeed any other technology at our disposal. Our ability to use tools is what puts us at the top of the food chain.

I agree with your point about meat-eaters' squeamishness (and Panda's similar point). It irritates me massively when meat eaters will happily tuck into a chicken, but baulk at the idea of eating an ickle bunny wabbit, or indeed dog.

If you eat meat, you eat meat. People should just be honest about it, and concentrate on treating those animals with respect and honesty while they live.

I agree with your point about meat-eaters' squeamishness (and Panda's similar point). It irritates me massively when meat eaters will happily tuck into a chicken, but baulk at the idea of eating an ickle bunny wabbit, or indeed dog.

If you eat meat, you eat meat.

That makes no sense. As it's down to social conditioning, why shouldn't a meat eater, who has been socially conditioned not to eat certain meats, baulk at the thought of eating them, just because they're all meat? If you're conditioned against it you're conditioned against it.

Personally, I'd eat dog, but certainly not with the gusto I'd apply to a slice of a pig's behind. Because much as I love pigs, I've never owned one as a pet.

And speaking of which, does anyone have any experience of cooking rabbit? I've eaten a lot in Malta in the past, and really fancy having a crack myself.