Quake Wars Enemy Territory

Beertiger

Isn't Battlefield a military game? I don't think they're that comparable, especially with the way this game encourages teamwork over individual play.

To be fair, Battlefield 2142 is probably it's nearest competitor. And that was far better than this was. At the moment anyway. I just couldn't get into it, it had rubbish weapons, rubbish vehicles and to be honest I didn't have a clue what was going on. I'll give it another bash tommorow but initial impressions are bad.

Yeah, I think the BF2 comparisons are almost irrelevant anyway, as for all Quake Wars' ideas...it fumbles the shit that matters. Fun combat, decent weapon handling and a good solid "feel". It just handles awfully.

Yuck.

I haven't managed to play it again yet, because all the UK servers were full.

Fucking weak.

I've been having that problem. For some reason I can't join any low-ping servers, but it lets me into all the US ones.

It couldn't be anything to do with using a torrent to download the client could it, they wouldn't distribute different versions to each region would they?

YaWdiB, have you tried adding filters to the server list (like hide full/empty/passworded and set the maximum ping)? Not sure if that will help at all but I played last night and got into a couple of servers with 23/24 fine. There were loads of UK Rackage ones, I think they're the official hosts for the UK. I got my client off Fileplanet though...

Just have to agree with diggler really, this doesn't handle very well. The mission idea is pretty good, and I'm sure over time people will get into teamwork that this encourages, but for now everyone I saw was just deathmatching. Is there any commander/squad leader options for players to join? Maybe I haven't found the right keys, it's quite confusing when you start. It's not fair to always compare it with Battlefield but I'd rather play that.

Edit: now I'm getting the "server full" thing for every server like you guys. Rubbish!

I've been having that problem. For some reason I can't join any low-ping servers, but it lets me into all the US ones.

It couldn't be anything to do with using a torrent to download the client could it, they wouldn't distribute different versions to each region would they?

I downloaded it directly and I can't join any of the UK servers so it isn't that.

On the actual game, I don't like it at all. Controls horrible, looks horrible even on high settings. Hopefully it's just Beta blues.

Finally managed to get into a UK server, I can't tell the difference between a 30 ping and a 300 ping though, neither seems to make a difference. It's just a complete mess of a game, those are my initial impressions anyway - some kind of tutorial would have helped to understand what's supposed to be going on.

I dropped the settings so the framerate is just about acceptable now, it looks like shit though.

I might have to pick up BF2 then, I like the idea of this sort of gameplay (medics, engineers, etc) and I really enjoyed the 360 demo of it, I'm not getting on with this so far though - it just seems a bit random. I know you can't directly compare them, but it seems as though it's at the opposite end of the scale to games like Halo where you know what you're getting, everything's balanced and does exactly what you expect it to, there's no randomness to anything. With this it's completely hit or miss whether you hit or... erm, miss.

It appears on the surface that they've just thrown loads of 'cool' things together without thinking what it's going to actually add to the game. The hopeless vehicles and the needlessly large environments seem to be two good examples.

I might have to pick up BF2 then, I like the idea of this sort of gameplay (medics, engineers, etc) and I really enjoyed the 360 demo of it, I'm not getting on with this so far though - it just seems a bit random.

Have you played Enemy Territory 1 for PC then? It's free and still bloody great.

It's definitely the sort of game that takes some time to work out what's going on, I've got no problem with that, my biggest complaint is the movement and weapons feel awful which for a FPS, is a pretty major problem.

Yeah, only for about 10 minutes for the first time earlier today, I wasn't really sure what was going on in that either though...

Reminds me of my experience of the Halo 3 Beta: picked it up, played it for a short while and went back to Crackdown...

Good grief - try and play the game for a few hours at least before passing judgment ffs.

Err, I didn't pass judgment on it, I just said I didn't know what was going on. I've played ETQW for 2 or 3 hours and haven't decided if it's going to be good or not yet, we won't be able to do that until there's a demo out - this is a beta remember.

Calm down dear.

How did you all get your keys (how am I goin' to get mine)?

It's a Fileplanet Exclusive so go to Fileplanet and you should see a big banner for it. You probably need a free account to get a code but it doesn't take long. I don't know if they still have keys left, but it's worth a try.

Can't connect to any servers now despite lots of them having room, and I've changed none of the options. :)

It was just the impression i was getting. Yeah it is in beta and i think everyone needs to remember that before saying "Ah a load of rubbish blah blah "

Also my comment was more about the length of time you have played W:ET. Give that a few hours, see how you like it.

It's a Fileplanet Exclusive so go to Fileplanet and you should see a big banner for it. You probably need a free account to get a code but it doesn't take long. I don't know if they still have keys left, but it's worth a try.

Can't connect to any servers now despite lots of them having room, and I've changed none of the options. :)

Sorry, yes I've been going to fileplanet but all I get there is 'more beta keys _will_ be released'....

Does THIS work?

They fill the screen up with the subscription options, but there should be a link to register for free. I'm using my old Gamespy Arcade account which was free. :)

@ PROCRASTINATOR X - ah well hopefully they'll release more keys soon, it shouldn't be too long.

There's only one more day of keys to be given out (today), they don't announce what time until about an hour before they're going to either. Going on the previous 4 days they run out in about half an hour so you'll have to be quick.

No.

Ok, you sure? It's irritating, there's 3 links to sign-up but the menus they send you to keep changing.

Try doing this:

1) Fileplanet.com

2) ETQW banner at top-right (next to Harry potter)

3) "Join Fileplanet Today" red button

4) Red button at top "Don't want to subscribe? REGISTER"

5) Fill in the form for new users, on the right

If that works sign-in then try for a key. If all that doesn't work then I have no idea, sorry. I haven't had to do it before.

Getting a game to run smooth is such a chore with modern PC games. Every setting seems to require a full restart, and it takes about 5-6 minutes in this for me to actually get into a server. Also, when I eventually start, there's a 50/50 chance it'll quit back to desktop after encountering an unknown error.

I love my 360 so much right now.

Ok, you sure? It's irritating, there's 3 links to sign-up but the menus they send you to keep changing.

Try doing this:

1) Fileplanet.com

2) ETQW banner at top-right (next to Harry potter)

3) "Join Fileplanet Today" red button

4) Red button at top "Don't want to subscribe? REGISTER"

5) Fill in the form for new users, on the right

If that works sign-in then try for a key. If all that doesn't work then I have no idea, sorry. I haven't had to do it before.

That just takes me back to the screen where I have to do 3).

When I do 4) it says "You may log in with one of these accounts automatically: Qazimod - fileplanet.com". Doing so sends me back to the promo page with the red button.

EDIT: tbh I wouldn't bother trying to help (although it is appreciated) - I was never going to get in, and even if I did, I was never going to be able to run the thing. :)

Getting a game to run smooth is such a chore with modern PC games. Every setting seems to require a full restart, and it takes about 5-6 minutes in this for me to actually get into a server. Also, when I eventually start, there's a 50/50 chance it'll quit back to desktop after encountering an unknown error.

I love my 360 so much right now.

It IS a beta...