IGNORED

Virtual Console

rgraves

Yes. And this thread is about games that people on this forum would like to see. Maybe you can start another thread.

Well since you stated that no-one would be interested in pre-N64 era games as they can otherwise emulate them then the fact many forumites have listed plenty of those would kind of make your entire argument bollocks.

Well since you stated that no-one would be interested in pre-N64 era games as they can otherwise emulate them then the fact many forumites have listed plenty of those would kind of make your entire argument bollocks.

Actually I said "I can't really imagine being massively excited about any pre-N64 games being made available", which is completely different. I realise people do want those games, I just don't understand why they get so worked up about it when, for people like us, it's a relatively straightforward thing to sort out.

I'll buy Super Mario Kart when they release it, but I won't be desperately upset if it takes a while or even if it never appears because I know that if I ever want to play it I can have it up and running in less than five minutes, even if I don't have the ROM and emulator already set up.

I realise people do want those games, I just don't understand why they get so worked up about it when, for people like us, it's a relatively straightforward thing to sort out.

I'll buy Super Mario Kart when they release it, but I won't be desperately upset if it takes a while or even if it never appears because I know that if I ever want to play it I can have it up and running in less than five minutes, even if I don't have the ROM and emulator already set up.

It's the tweaking that I don't like so much. I've not been able to successfully set up an emulator on my PC without having some small (but noticable) amount of controller lag, or the timing/speed a little bit 'wrong'. This was a couple of years ago, though, so I suspect it's improved since then.

I'd like to play a faithfully reproduced/emulated version of Super Metroid. Maybe you're right and it can be set up in a matter of minutes, but I suspect it would be a bit of hassle to get it running perfectly, and I don't want to bother if it's not going to be perfect. If I could click and play in seconds, on my TV screen and not on a PC montior, I'd be up for that.

I don't have a modded Xbox, by the way, so that's no option.

the thing with VC, apart from the uder-friendliness, is the multiplayer aspect.

i listed Star Control as one game i'd like to see because it's one of the best two player games ever made. playing it on an emulator, getting the rom, tweaking the settings, getting two controllers set up on the PC - it's all hassle, but i'd do it in a flash on the VC.

it's funny how no one has mentioned the moral aspect either. before anyone copying games to play on emulators had the excuse of, well there's no revenue stream anymore anyway for that console. now things are changing.

Yes. And this thread is about games that people on this forum would like to see. Maybe you can start another thread.

hang on, wasn't you who made a point about not being interested in anything pre-N64? obviously loads of people are and have listed them in this thread. don't be accusing other people of going off topic. where are your entries?

I couldn't care less about the moral aspect, to be honest. The only reason I've bought things on the VC is because of the convenience. I really like having something like SMB or Mario 64 sitting on the channels menu, ready to play. It's something I'm willing to pay a couple of pounds to have, as opposed to my other option which is using the Xbox emulators. They're perfectly fine for emulating SNES era stuff, but I'm happy to pay a pretty insignificant amount to remove the minor extra hassles with things like using wired and less suitable pads, not being able to turn the console on and off with the pad and having to go through some menus to get to the emulator.

Those are all pretty minor though, so if something like Mario RPG never appears and I really want to play it I won't be crying about it, because I know I always have another option. Given the choice though, I'm happy to pay.

It's the tweaking that I don't like so much. I've not been able to successfully set up an emulator on my PC without having some small (but noticable) amount of controller lag, or the timing/speed a little bit 'wrong'.

I don't have a modded Xbox, by the way, so that's no option.

Project 64 runs most n64 stuff perfectly and plays great with a 360 pad, Zsnes does the same, maybe you should have another look? Also, just buy a modded Xbox. No game player should be without one. Why put up with delayed and compromised conversions of Metal Slug when you can drop the game straight into an Xbox and have it work?

Project 64 runs most n64 stuff perfectly and plays great with a 360 pad, Zsnes does the same, maybe you should have another look? Also, just buy a modded Xbox. No game player should be without one. Why put up with delayed and compromised conversions of Metal Slug when you can drop the game straight into an Xbox and have it work?

So ill need a PC, a 360 pad, project 64, zsnes, modded xbox, and then most games run perfectly.

Why didn't you say so earlier?

Does it run Wetrix?

Duno, but it runs some complicated stuff, why not have a look?

So ill need a PC, a 360 pad, project 64, zsnes, modded xbox, and then most games run perfectly.

Why didn't you say so earlier?

Well 90% of us have PCs, 360 pads aren't exactly rare and it's an example of a controller that works well. The emulator downloads are free so i don't understand that part of your point. A modded Xbox is relatively peanuts now, and is nice to have for other stuff too.

Why would you need a PC and a modded Xbox? Stooo-pid!

Those of us with partners find that they enjoy watching bad tv...so an Xbox for the TV and a PC den to retreat to are essential.

personally, and maybe it's just me being weird, but i do prefer playing a game i've paid for. i can't explain it but i do get satisfaction from enjoying a game and getting my money's worth. that's why it's nice getting bargains too, it seems to even further heighten my enjoyment somehow. like i said, weird.

to me you could say, "here's 3000 roms and an emulator for free. you have everything you need right there on your pc@. i'd probably pass. BUT if you offered me Sin & Punishment on the VC for £7 i'd bite your hand off.

weird?

Wetrix reads the frame buffer so I doubt it will work. Another test is Zelda - is the status panel screen thingy corrupt? The bit which is meant to show Link and what he's wearing.

Last time I looked, N64 emulators couldn't run 'most' games properly due to the fact they aren't proper emulators and anything that manipulates the screen directly will fail. Nintendo developed games work cleanly through the API so they tend to work well on emulation.

I think the point was that it is a lot easier/friendlier/more convenient to just be able to boot guarenteed perfect versions of the games on a controller designed by nintendo from your sofa than sit in front of a pc, downloading emulators and roms, configuring them to run properly and work with the controller and then playing them with a Microsoft controller.

to me you could say, "here's 3000 roms and an emulator for free. you have everything you need right there on your pc@. i'd probably pass. BUT if you offered me Sin & Punishment on the VC for £7 i'd bite your hand off.

weird?

So if someone said "Here's every VC game on a disc. Just put whichever ones you want on an SD card and they'll work just like the games you've paid for" you'd refuse it and just pay for the game you want instead?

Completely agree, i use the emulators to play a handful of games that i don't want to drag machines down from the loft for. Don't believe me? I own Sin and Punishment, Turok 2 and Mario 64...the games i play on PJ64. My mrs is playing FF6 on Zsnes, which i'v got too. It's mainly a convenience thing, to be able to use a better pad to make an old game more playable, and to play them in lovely VGA or component.

Theres only really the odd Metal Slug that i play on the Xbox that i completely don't own in any form. But anyway i'm bogging the thread down.

1) Banjo-Tooie (so I can finish the little git)

2) Mischief Makers (for being bonkers)

3) Plok (so I can try and finish it and continue to moan at Ste and John that the publisher was too mean to include a save chip)

Also

Super Metroid, Unirally and Yoshis island. Games I missed first time round