The Apprentice Series 3

CBT

It was a massive set up. Sir Alan couldn't have 'read' Katie like he claimed to have done in a million years. He can read a script though.

He doesn't have to, it's a win win situation for him, either she is so utterly dedicated to him that she'll upheave her life to work for him and he'd employ her if she really is that dedicated. HE would just boot one of the other two. Or she isnt (and she was shown not to be) and he doesn't put her in the final.

I think we underestimate Alan's experience in the business world. He has probably met people like Katie many times before and was conscious of the fact he could be getting taken for a ride, just serving as an ego boost for Katie, but he wasn't 100% sure. The interviewers said they didn't think the "real" Katie showed up, that this was all an act, that she was playing a game. She can obviously talk the talk and she's not incompetent, so the last task wouldn't prove anything. Remember that the finalists work with Alan for 6 months before being chosen so putting her in the final would mean she had to move. I think he put everything in perspective for her, in that she stood to lose a lot in exchange for depriving two people who really wanted the job and for the sake of saying she had "won". I know we think she's a heartless monster but maybe the thought that she was fucking over 2 people who really wanted a job as well as her family just for the sake of her ego made made her reconsider. If she really wanted the job she wouldn't feel like she was fucking people over.

That's my thoughts on this anyway. It probably wasn't only Alan either, I think he consulted with the others and they all came to the same conclusion.

I thought she made herself look a psycho bitch, and Katie did well to laugh it off and not bitch back.

I thought bra women was an over the top bitch as well, but Katie did get some good hits back in.

I did like Nick/T'other woman's take on Katie though...

I think we underestimate Alan's experience in the business world. He has probably met people like Katie many times before and was conscious of the fact he could be getting taken for a ride, just serving as an ego boost for Katie, but he wasn't 100% sure. The interviewers said they didn't think the "real" Katie showed up, that this was all an act, that she was playing a game. She can obviously talk the talk and she's not incompetent, so the last task wouldn't prove anything. Remember that the finalists work with Alan for 6 months before being chosen so putting her in the final would mean she had to move. I think he put everything in perspective for her, in that she stood to lose a lot in exchange for depriving two people who really wanted the job and for the sake of saying she had "won". I know we think she's a heartless monster but maybe the thought that she was fucking over 2 people who really wanted a job as well as her family just for the sake of her ego made made her reconsider. If she really wanted the job she wouldn't feel like she was fucking people over.

That's my thoughts on this anyway. It probably wasn't only Alan either, I think he consulted with the others and they all came to the same conclusion.

I think this comment is a pretty spot on one.

Katie was beaten at her own game. She is all talk about being the best thing ever, but has done little in the show to back it up. In fact most weeks she's either been a weak link, or been working to set someone else up for a fall. In fact the only skill she's shown during the entire series is how to backstab and minipulate those working with/around you.

Simply put Sugar put her on the spot after questioning her dedictaion to wanting the job and her act finally crumbled, she knew she was beaten. She'd been rumbled for what she really is.

It looks like on form Kristina should win, but you get the feeling that Sugar has a soft spot for the bumbling idiot Simon. For someone of his age and background have you ever seen someone so nervous at an interview and on last weeks challenge? If he get's any worse he might just have a full mental breakdown on camera next week. It was clear that Kristina gave by far the best interviews as she was the onl one who hadn't filled her CV up with utter bullshit about her achievements. Tres inability to actually desciribe his working situation with any clarity was incredible.

Katie was not as good as she made herself out to be.

Her skills lie very very heavily with people manipulation and her acidic tongue/debating skills. Throughout the series she never did anything of note in relation to the tasks. the first week of coffee selling she was content to sit back when placed in the wrong location. In Richmond she repeatedly tried to go against her managers decision wanting to do the dj thing, an activity that would have required far more effort and outlay to be profitable in such a short period of time, it would have been great if they were given a week, but useless given that htey only hada few hours. In france she joined the only other french speaker on her team galavanting around shops making pitiful sales attempts. With the advertising task for the trainers she should have destroyed the competition, she is a brand consultant previously earning 90K, if she was worth that salary she should have nailed that task hands down, instead she went off the rails and made a complete foul up. She never made any decision that turned the team around such as christina for instance who, in france, got off her arse and got the sausages cooked, even though they lost, that action improved their figures substantially. When selling artwork she ponced around again doing very little showing no sales ability.

Her survival for this amount of time has been due to her non task related actions. She frequently latched on to the project manager like a limpet and buddied up to them, she manipulated her way into a position where she would be seen to be supporting the team leader who in turn would not take her into the boardroom. however if this did happen she was astute enough to either turn her acidic tongue on the person who was percieved to be the weakest. She was right, go toe to toe with her in a slanging match and she will crucify you, but that doesnt make up for a real lack of ability in the given tasks.

Brand consultants are enigmatic, they have very little to show you in the way of tangible real products yet they command large fees for whatever it is they do, and should what they do fall flat then they move on. look at the new olympics logo, 400K for something which is heralded by everyone as awful and bears no relation to either london or the olympics. Katie is from this world, she has reached the ceiling of that industry, but she could not move beyond to the position AMStrad would require as the next level requires actual skills and she would be dealing with people like Sir Alan who are shrewd enough to not be manipulated with the bat of an eyelid or the "head-down-peering-up-through-the-hair" look, without her ability to manipulate she is left wanting in many departments

Katie was not as good as she made herself out to be.

Her skills lie very very heavily with people manipulation and her acidic tongue/debating skills. Throughout the series she never did anything of note in relation to the tasks. the first week of coffee selling she was content to sit back when placed in the wrong location. In Richmond she repeatedly tried to go against her managers decision wanting to do the dj thing, an activity that would have required far more effort and outlay to be profitable in such a short period of time, it would have been great if they were given a week, but useless given that htey only hada few hours. In france she joined the only other french speaker on her team galavanting around shops making pitiful sales attempts. With the advertising task for the trainers she should have destroyed the competition, she is a brand consultant previously earning 90K, if she was worth that salary she should have nailed that task hands down, instead she went off the rails and made a complete foul up. She never made any decision that turned the team around such as christina for instance who, in france, got off her arse and got the sausages cooked, even though they lost, that action improved their figures substantially. When selling artwork she ponced around again doing very little showing no sales ability.

Her survival for this amount of time has been due to her non task related actions. She frequently latched on to the project manager like a limpet and buddied up to them, she manipulated her way into a position where she would be seen to be supporting the team leader who in turn would not take her into the boardroom. however if this did happen she was astute enough to either turn her acidic tongue on the person who was percieved to be the weakest. She was right, go toe to toe with her in a slanging match and she will crucify you, but that doesnt make up for a real lack of ability in the given tasks.

Brand consultants are enigmatic, they have very little to show you in the way of tangible real products yet they command large fees for whatever it is they do, and should what they do fall flat then they move on. look at the new olympics logo, 400K for something which is heralded by everyone as awful and bears no relation to either london or the olympics. Katie is from this world, she has reached the ceiling of that industry, but she could not move beyond to the position AMStrad would require as the next level requires actual skills and she would be dealing with people like Sir Alan who are shrewd enough to not be manipulated with the bat of an eyelid or the "head-down-peering-up-through-the-hair" look, without her ability to manipulate she is left wanting in many departments

You're hired!

Top stuff, I agree with it completely. Katie is absolutely brilliant at manipulating certain people, and it serves her well in certain circumstances. Funnily enough I think she works perfectly with Kristina as she is able to manipulate (I don't want to use charm here) the client/buyer whilst Kristina is much better at actually putting the promises into action. Together they do well.

As I said, I think Sugar has come across her type many times in the business world and was able to see her coming. I reckon he would have employed her if he thought she would stay, though probably in a different role more suited to her skills.

She's a troubled individual really. She has made a "Business Katie" brand which she hides behind in business and which she can use to pass on any moral responsabilities to. "I didn't back-stab my team, Business Katie did", "I didn't sleep with someone to get a promotion, Business Katie did because that's what Business Katie does, but I'm not her". It's a bit troubling really. What Sugar did was place her in a position in which Business Katie would be responsible for fucking up Normal Katie's life, and that's what swung it. She could no longer hide behind Business Katie because the consequences affected Normal Katie's world. If that makes sense.

Alan put her in a position where she had to be utterly ruthless(moving her family for the job without consultign them) and she couldn't do it, it was a facade.

The decision was hers, and remember Kristina has to make exactly the same choice about moving her family hundreds of miles to London and she didn't bat an eyelid.

They must have a pretty close relationship as if you're on 90k a year you could easily pack them off to boarding school.

There' nothing 'ruthless' about moving to get a better job, but there is something to be said for not wanting to upset the lives of your children.

The decision was hers, and remember Kristina has to make exactly the same choice about moving her family hundreds of miles to London and she didn't bat an eyelid.

Not really the exact same decision at all, given that Katie is the mother of two young children and Kristina's son was going off to uni later in the year.

There' nothing 'ruthless' about moving to get a better job, but there is something to be said for not wanting to upset the lives of your children.

Being fair it appeared Kristina was single with an 18 year old son (off to University soon).

Katie appeared to be single with 2 young'uns (but near her parents).

It was a bit of a different move.

It reeks of sexism though that Tre wasn't asked about moving/focus on kids etc.

Edit - Great minds Bushmeister! o/

Are you really mad enough to think that the contestants hadn't thought these sort of things through before entering the show? For example Katie was happy enough to dump the kids for the duration of the filming. Kristina was honest her kid is growing up, off to Uni, she doesn't need to stay where she is. Chances are he's off to another region to study anyway. Katie just got found out when she came across someone who could see through her awful 'business Katie' act and grabbed on to the exit routine he put in her path.

Not really the exact same decision at all, given that Katie is the mother of two young children and Kristina's son was going off to uni later in the year.

Oh yeah, forgot that. Still, I presume she'll be selling the family home and uprooting him anyway.

Not sure how old Katie's are?

Are you really mad enough to think that the contestants hadn't thought these sort of things through before entering the show?

Well they obviously are mad enough not to think about it.

That bespeckled bloke had it right when he called her a game-player. She was so focused on winning she hadn't actually thought about whether once she'd won she actually wanted the prize.

Sugar-puff gave her the opportunity to make a decision, he could just have easily have fired her for his suspicions.

Fact is she was a much better contestant than Simon and I think he'd rather have risked a Katie than willingly put Simon through.

The final is now a joke.

They must have a pretty close relationship as if you're on 90k a year you could easily pack them off to boarding school.

Being fair it appeared Kristina was single with an 18 year old son (off to University soon).

Katie appeared to be single with 2 young'uns (but near her parents).

It was a bit of a different move.

It reeks of sexism though that Tre wasn't asked about moving/focus on kids etc.

Edit - Great minds Bushmeister! o/

There are several key differences though. For a start, Tre and Kristina want to win for the right reasons. In Kristina's case she isn't sacrificing her son's upbringing as he's going to uni now. Tre stands to gain a better career and to double his sallary, whilst he has a wife which can help him with the children. Tre's family have a lot to gain from this. Katie stands to gain nothing other than the satisfaction of winning the contest, and all at the cost of uprooting her kids from their home and family.

In hindsight it would have been good to see a Katie/Kristina final (providing Kristina trounced her).

Katie swans around with Posh Army prat after not trusting anyone else on her team while Trey sets fire to her presentation and tells them both to **** off ruining all her work.

I think I'm right in saying that both finalists work for Sugar for X months to cover up who wins so Katie was more or less being offered the job there and then at least on a temporary basis.

Might have looked less staged if they had explained that last night.

Christ, it was HORRIBLY stage-managed for TV.

In the real version of events, one of Kristina/Simon (I won't spoil it for you) was fired BEFORE Katie.

Katie turned down the temporary job which both finalists have to take until the final - which REALLY fucked off the production crew and Sugar.

They then had to go back and re-shoot it all, which is why there was an unnatural emphasis on the location of the job as the big issue.

I wish they'd shoot it live - or, at least, same day. The production is a bit of a joke, sadly.

Why didn't they just simply show what you just described then? That would've made for even better TV IMO.

If they spoke about the finalists having to work with Sir Alan for months before the final, they'd reveal how far in advance it's recorded.

It's shown as if it's real-time ("See you next week"), but it was all shot over six or seven weeks, months ago.

The final is in the can, too - producers record both of the finalists winning (ACTING).

Love the show, but all the acting is lame imo.

Christ, it was HORRIBLY stage-managed for TV.

In the real version of events, one of Kristina/Simon (I won't spoil it for you) was fired BEFORE Katie.

Katie turned down the temporary job which both finalists have to take until the final - which REALLY fucked off the production crew and Sugar.

They then had to go back and re-shoot it all, which is why there was an unnatural emphasis on the location of the job as the big issue.

I wish they'd shoot it live - or, at least, same day. The production is a bit of a joke, sadly.

How do you know this?

I'll be glad that my opinion that it's all bullshit can finally be verified.

Although I'd be amazed if anyone watching didn't think it was all pre-recorded ages before.