The Apprentice Series 3

CBT

Let's be frank the show like all reality bollocks like it is a load of cobblers in terms of being a true test of ability.

Simon could have been utterly amazing in the six months or whatever it was the final two actually worked for Sugar and were being monitored on a daily basis. Likewise Kristina may have just been adequate or incompotent or vice versa. We'll never know. What is true is silly tasks, school yard gossiping and backstabbing make for some car crash televison.

Bizarre result. Simon must have come up with something decent while was working for Sugar.

The thing I didn't understand about the design is - surely the form follows the function, and not vice versa? They should have built the business case for what it was they wanted to build, then got a theme, then got the designers to work on it, surely. The percentage given over to residential versus commercial, for example, should never have been an issue.

Well he hired Simon over Kristina so everything he ever says from now on is suspect.

Does no one on the production team see that Katie was being the pantomime villain and playing up to the camera? It was all quite entertaining until they took the editorial decision to bury her.

So you're saying that Katie was good for playing as a pantomime villain but the production team was wrong for portraying her as a pantomime villain?

Anyway, Simon hired. Sheer madness.

So you're saying that Katie was good for playing as a pantomime villain but the production team was wrong for portraying her as a pantomime villain?

They didn't portray her as a pantomime villain, that would require self awareness and reciprocal humor mixed in with the tellings off.

What they did was just isolate and humiliate her to gain the cheap moral highground. Horrible to watch. At least Katie raised a giggle with her 'too orange to be taken seriously' comment.

Katies mistake might have been in thinking that her bitchy persona would be taken with the good humor of a Simon Cowell, unfortunately women don't usually get cut that slack.

As an example, Nina Miskow vs. Simon Cowell...One was considered a fucking bitch, the other's virtually a national treasure, even though he's a fucking bitch.

I think hiring Simon was the right decison. He may not have the organisational skills and managment skills that Christina had, but you can tell he's more intelligent, has better vision and is bursting with ideas. He seems to think differently to most people. Christina was highly efficient but ultimately a robot..

Obviously it's all nonsense, and Kristina was clearly the more capable candidate. One thing that Simon did have that I liked, was that in the boardroom he looked like he was crapping himself. That can be a good indicator in an interview that someone really wants the job, as opposed to bland 'I can take it or leave it' confidence. But you're taking a flyer on them, that's for sure.

I could be wrong, but in the preview of next weeks final, Simon was at on the left in the boardroom, and when Suralan said "you're hired" he pointed to his right, straight at Simon.

Yey I was right! ;)

That was utterly surprising yet completely unsatisfying. I reckon they edited the series to cover up some amazing stuff that Simon came up with, just so the audience would think xtina was going to win it. They really could've used some more Simon/xtina footage in the final, as the focus seemed to be more on Tre and Rory bitchslapping each other.

I did think that Simon came across better in the presentation as he gave more specific answers to the questions from the audience; xtina seemed a little vague and less self-assured. His building looked shite, though.

Actually, if the winner was being chosen on entertainment value alone, Simon would've swung it for me just for the screw-on willy show.

I reckon they edited the series to cover up some amazing stuff that Simon came up with, just so the audience would think xtina was going to win it.

Nah, they could employ any old sod to do what they have in mind.

The show is worth millions in free advertising to Amstrad, the task the winner gets is usually some sideline bullshit that's been created specifically not to bother the rest of the company, and which gets them even more free advertising when they make the documentary about it.

They could do The Apprentice: Animal Magic Edition, with only monkeys and get the desired results.

No-ones mentioned Jadine's introduction of Wave where she expected a response to "Good Evening" so then repeated it as if she was a holiday rep on a coach rather than presenting a multi-million dollar proprety deal.

you can tell he's more intelligent, has better vision and is bursting with ideas.

So 'bursting' with ideas, that he wanted to build a 'boat' (with anchors out front and everything oohh!) and only switched to the 'Wave' concept when it was clear that's what the rest of his group wanted to go with. In fact, didn't he actually say "well, if that's what the majority want" - in which case it would appear that he didn't believe in the concept at the start, and owes a huge thanks to Rory (mainly) for coming up with something that even the architects thought was pretty good. He went Wave because it caused less friction in the team (which he simply could not manage to any degree), not because he believed it was a better concept than the frankly laughable boat thing.

03302001214847.jpg

"I mean... a boat on the river Thames, it's just so uninspiring. The sort of obvious thinking you'd expect from a chap like Tre"

That's not Rory, it's comedian and actor Peter Serafinowicz :)

PeterSerafinowicz.jpg

Kristina was the best EMPLOYEE, Simon is ultimately the best APPRENTICE. If Sir Alan can keep him focussed and is prepared to take the time to train him, then long-term he could be a real prospect. Of course he could also get bored and lose track of what he's doing and mess everything up...

They really could've used some more Simon/xtina footage in the final, as the focus seemed to be more on Tre and Rory bitchslapping each other.

Maybe, but I'd pay good money to watch the Tre and Rory show. Every week they'd be given a design/branding task and fight to the death. might be a short run with that format, actually.

So 'bursting' with ideas, that he wanted to build a 'boat' (with anchors out front and everything oohh!) and only switched to the 'Wave' concept when it was clear that's what the rest of his group wanted to go with. In fact, didn't he actually say "well, if that's what the majority want" - in which case it would appear that he didn't believe in the concept at the start, and owes a huge thanks to Rory (mainly) for coming up with something that even the architects thought was pretty good. He went Wave because it caused less friction in the team (which he simply could not manage to any degree), not because he believed it was a better concept than the frankly laughable boat thing.

Yes, but in the end his presentation was far better and he seemed to pull it off with ease despite the problems. Cristina is just another project manager, where as Simon is perfectly capable of being a good project manager with time, but he also brings ideas to the table no matter how crazy they might appear at first. Every company needs a nutter on the off chance they will have a stroke of genius and make the company a fortune. Everyone laughed at him about the wheelchair, but it was actually well thought out and not stupid at all.

Kristina was the best EMPLOYEE, Simon is ultimately the best APPRENTICE. If Sir Alan can keep him focussed and is prepared to take the time to train him, then long-term he could be a real prospect. Of course he could also get bored and lose track of what he's doing and mess everything up...

I called it right that he would win as you could see Sugar had a soft spot for him, but I think you're wrong (and Alan Sugar).

For all his supposed 'creativity' what has he shown? He danced and performed an awful rap, that's it. He had no input at all in to the design of the building last night, that was a two-way fight between Tre and Rory. I honestly can't think of one creative spark that came from him in any task. In fact to me he looks like the sort of guy if he can't fall back on someone he'll have a disaster. I hope for Sugars sake he's got some good baby minders.

I called it right that he would win as you could see Sugar had a soft spot for him, but I think you're wrong (and Alan Sugar).

For all his supposed 'creativity' what has he shown? He danced and performed an awful rap, that's it. He had no input at all in to the design of the building last night, that was a two-way fight between Tre and Rory. I honestly can't think of one creative spark that came from him in any task. In fact to me he looks like the sort of guy if he can't fall back on someone he'll have a disaster. I hope for Sugars sake he's got some good baby minders.

Precisely. He has shown a big lack of imagination all throughout the series. In fact, a lot of his supposed "ideas" have actually come from Tre! And last night's "Wave" concept building (as someone's pointed out already) came from his team and NOT from him. Kristina should've won it, hands down and I completely understand why she was miffed and upset that Sugar chose him instead of her.

Yes, but in the end his presentation was far better and he seemed to pull it off with ease despite the problems. Cristina is just another project manager, where as Simon is perfectly capable of being a good project manager with time, but he also brings ideas to the table no matter how crazy they might appear at first. Every company needs a nutter on the off chance they will have a stroke of genius and make the company a fortune. Everyone laughed at him about the wheelchair, but it was actually well thought out and not stupid at all.

Actually the wheelchair idea was rubbish. This is why I think the task was not representative in the first place: in the real world, you'd have profit margins. Simply going for the most expensive item to sell wouldn't get you much money because of the expense of buying them in the first place. A hundred £10 items makes more money than 2 £500 items, for example. Not only that, but if anyone mentions how much they made from the wheelchair, I'd point out that it was thanks to Tre & Nicole(?)'s selling that they sold any at all. Had they chosen something cheaper but more popular, they would've made far more than the wheelchair did.

Last night also showed that Simon is able to run with his team's ideas and suggestions, he doesn't have such as massive ego that he will only consider his own. All the project managers previously who have gone with whatever lame idea they came up with have failed. As project manager he didn't have to come up with all the ideas, all he had to do was harness the team's ideas collectively, try and make things run smoothly as possible, which he did by compromising and pulled off a better presentation as a result.

Also he was the only candidate who knew what he was talking about. He knew more about the company than all the others put together. To me that proves you are dealing with a quality, intelligent candidate who actually wants the job. With time he could become something far greater than Christina could ever be, which is why he was chosen in the end.

which he did by compromising and pulled off a better presentation as a result.

I think the one skill he does have is that he's got a photographic memory, he's great at what he did last night at the presentation as all he had to do was read up on his numbers and then recycle them when questioned about them. Pretty much like he did at the interview stage too.

I think the problem is he was picked as he was seen as more 'creative' than Kristina (or at least that was the reason given), which I wouldn't say was totally accurate. I think in a 'creative' environment he'd need to feed of others because he'd sink if he had to do it himself.

the moment simon walked into the "play" room and read the riot act. telling them to get their act together and work for HIM. That was the moment i though" that's it they're going to give him the job"

Because all of a sudden he wasn't bumberling idiot simon. He was big balls simon taking control. Except that wasn't him, that was Jadine (the only one there who didn't appear to have an agenda) Telling him that it was his ball son the line and he needed to take control.

Absolutly the wrong person won. Kristina was far and a way the better employee. But after the TV task, Simon was going to have really, and i mean REALLY fuck things up royally to loose. I think we all new that. Becuase he was just so hopeless and rubbish and comical. Yet sirloin didn't fire him, he just treated him lik e a naughty but cudderly golden retrieve that had brought one too many sticks into the house.

The ditzy blond last year beats the badger, now tim nice but dim beats fiesty Irish lass...... I think Sirloin needs to get his head checked.